Re: Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 ........

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob I, Nov 7, 2010.

  1. Bob I

    Bob I Guest

    On 11/7/2010 02:08, Valorie *~ wrote:
    > From:
    > http://www.tomstricks.com/how-to-activate-hidden-windows-7-administrator-account/
    >

    > Anyone have any idea why my W-7 doesn't have "Run as Administrator" to
    > select when right clicking on the command prompt? What is an *elevated*
    > prompt? All I have is the regular prompt on my W-7 PC.
    >
    > From the website:
    >
    > "Method 1:Using Command Prompt (W-7)
    > Open an elevated Command prompt in Windows 7 by right click on the
    > command prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After that you only
    > need to enter the simple command below to activate it."
    >
    > I can't select "Run as Administrator" because there is nothing there in
    > the prompt window or the right click menu to select when I right click
    > on the command prompt. All I can do is type something after the
    > C:\user\Valorie> thing.

    That's because you are not following the instructions implicitly.

    I'll interpret for you.

    Left click on Start button.
    Right-click on the Command Prompt menu item.
    Left-click on the Run as administrator
    Left-Click on the Yes button.
    Commence using Command prompt with Administrators privileges.
    Bob I, Nov 7, 2010

  2. Bob I

    Rodney Pont Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 00:17:23 -0600, Valorie *~ wrote:

    >> I'll interpret for you.
    >>
    >> Left click on Start button.
    >> Right-click on the Command Prompt menu item.
    >> Left-click on the Run as administrator

    >net user administrator /active:yes

    Why the above??? You are trying to run the program net and that's used
    to set things up in networking. You really don't want to go in there
    unless you REALLY know what you are doing :)

    >> Left-Click on the Yes button.

    >Where is this YES button to left click on? There is no Yes button on the
    >prompt, the start button or the desktop. Where is it found when left
    >clicking?
    >
    >> Commence using Command prompt with Administrators privileges.

    >It doesn't work. The /active:yes command at the prompt brings this error:
    >The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

    The instructions above assume that Command Prompt is on the first start
    menu.

    Left click on
    Start Menu
    then
    All Programs
    then
    Accessories

    will show you the Command Prompt icon. Right clicking on that will give
    you a menu and when you left click on Run as Administrator a box will
    open asking you if you want to allow the program to make changes to
    your computer. That's the one where you click Yes.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont
    e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com
    Rodney Pont, Nov 9, 2010