Re: Only sharing files in one direction.....

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Malke, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Dipp wrote:

    > 2 PC's
    > MAIN pc linked to modem and router and printer.
    > OTHER pc recieving internet and shared files from MAIN through
    > wireless, ok. MAIN pc does not recieve shared files from OTHER.
    > Printer not found from OTHER.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn
    on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
    firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like
    Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have
    third-party firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area
    Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an
    IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would
    substitute your correct subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
    troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
    and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Dipp wrote:

    > Do I run 'network setup' or 'wireless network setup' on the MAIN since
    > it is connected by cable to the router. And what then with OTHER since
    > it is only connected by wireless to the router?

    You run the Network Setup Wizard on both machines, not anything to do
    with wireless setup. The fact that one or more of your computers is
    connected to the Local Area Network (lan) wirelessly is irrelevant to
    file/printer sharing.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Malke

    Malke Guest

    Dipp wrote:

    > Thanks Malke.
    >
    > That seems to have been the problem, I was using wireless setup on
    > OTHER and just network setup on MAIN. What threw me was the wireless
    > pc kept saying a cable was not connected and I would cancel the setup
    > instead of carrying on. Thanks for your help.

    You're very welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted. Thanks for taking the
    time to post back.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 5, 2006