    From: "Experienced but Undocumented" <>
    Subject: One last try...data loss
    Date: Sunday, August 03, 2003 12:08 PM

    Sorry to bother you all again, but I was wondering if anyone might have
    another idea about this:

    I've lately experienced the following symptoms: (may or may not be related)
    -Winamp.m3u playlist gets corrupted on approximately every fifth reboot
    -Outlook Express inbox.dbx has been corrupted twice
    -CHKDSK has found 97 lost file fragments between July 24 and August 3.
    (Many seem to be from Temporary Internet Files folder.)
    -Out of Memory error received (sorry, don't have exact text) WITHOUT Windows
    attempting to increase size of swap file.

    Any ideas? This computer is a Pentium III 500 with 384MB of RAM. (At time
    of memory error, it had 128.) The hard drive is a Maxtor 30GB ATA 100. It
    runs Windows 2000 Professional. The drive has two partitions, each having
    at least 10GB free.

    Someone suggested I use Memtest-86 3.0 and check the RAM. It ran for seven
    hours and showed no problems. My first thought was the hard drive was about
    to die but I used MaxBlast and did its read and write tests and it showed no
    problems.

    Thanks

    Stigmus, Aug 3, 2003