Re: One-click shutdown or reboot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Sep 2, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    Sarah Austin <> wrote in

    > Here's a cool little thing I came across. I'm sure some of you knew
    > about this before, but I didn't.
    >
    > Pretty slick.
    >
    > http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-one-click-shutdown-button.htm

    Why? on my *real* computer, if I care to, I create a batch file called off
    that executes: shutdown -h now. Or I can just give a three finger salute
    and the computer *safely* restarts. No amount of repeats while "waiting" will
    affect that. The worst thing you can do to a computer is give it another button
    for the user to play with. That's why they moved the real power switch to the
    back in the first place.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 2, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >Why? on my *real* computer, if I care to, I create a batch file called off
    >that executes: shutdown -h now.

    run
    cmd /k shutdown -h
    <enter>

    and see what you get.

    >Or I can just give a three finger salute
    >and the computer *safely* restarts.

    The subject of this thread is not having to use any keys. -
    CTL-ALT-DEL opens the taskmanager on an NT OS.
    --

    Even schools have their moments
    http://nsharp.org/gallery/user-uploaded/65.jpg

    , Sep 4, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Why? on my *real* computer, if I care to, I create a batch file called
    >>off that executes: shutdown -h now.

    > run
    > cmd /k shutdown -h
    > <enter>
    >
    > and see what you get.

    Doesn't work in linux. "cmd" is not a valid command. You don't *need* a
    "command line interface".

    >>Or I can just give a three finger salute
    >>and the computer *safely* restarts.

    > The subject of this thread is not having to use any keys. -
    > CTL-ALT-DEL opens the taskmanager on an NT OS.

    And even more to the point. With the start menu, there's no complexity,
    without it it can't be done.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 4, 2009
  4. chuckcar

    Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >>>Why? on my *real* computer, if I care to, I create a batch file called
    >>>off that executes: shutdown -h now.

    >> run
    >> cmd /k shutdown -h
    >> <enter>
    >>
    >> and see what you get.

    >Doesn't work in linux. "cmd" is not a valid command. You don't *need* a
    >"command line interface".

    Oh so now our running linix, your *real* computer.

    Use your *real* computer to play COD 4 or anticipate the release of
    MW2 (COD 6). -

    I know you don't play games.... cause you can't.

    Can of worms I admit, but this is Chucktard.
    --

    Why you never let dad help make the mermaid costume…
    http://www.parentfail.com/mermaid/

    , Sep 5, 2009