Re: * Onboard video and pci video card conflict. Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, May 26, 2010.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Kathy wrote:
    > I was wondering if someone can help me, I have a Presario SR5050nx with
    > onboard video,
    >
    > Intel GMA 950 (82945g express chipset) with vga port in the back panel and
    > the latest drivers,
    >
    > and the motherboard has 2 pci and 1 pci express x16 and Vista home.
    >
    > I decided to install an Nvidia PCI FX5200 video card (vga and dvi) and I
    > would like to have 3
    >
    > monitors (3 monitors makes things easier for the type of work I do) but once
    > I install the pci card,
    >
    > it says "Incompatible display adapter has been disabled" and I can only get
    > to use either the
    >
    > onboard video or go to bios and set it to use the pci as primary and use the
    > pci card (w/2 monitors).
    >
    > Intel says that it can be done with a pci (no pci express), I don't know
    > what am I missing. See:
    >
    > http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/cs-011796.htm
    >
    > Has anyone got the onboard video and pci video card to work?
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > kathy

    Check the BIOS to see if there is an "INT 19 capture" or "INT 0x13 capture"
    item and enable it.

    Each video card has a BIOS chip on it, and there is code sitting in there.
    You should enter the BIOS and see if there is any setting which is
    preventing that add-on BIOS from being loaded. And the necessary setting,
    might not be in the section where you find the Primary display adapter
    setting. It'll be located elsewhere. Search all the BIOS pages until you
    find it.

    *******

    As for your choice of video cards, I own a PCI FX5200 video card. I bought
    it originally, to use while I was flash upgrading the BIOS chip on an
    AGP video card.

    I've tested that card, in my last two motherboard upgrades, and it
    upsets PCI bus operation too much, and gives too much stuttering for
    practical work. If you'd asked about this card, before purchasing
    it, I would have advised against it, based on the test results I've
    seen here.

    You can purchase PCI Express video cards with quad outputs. Basically,
    the card consists of two GPU chips, running two outputs each, all
    connected to the one PCI Express x16 slot. PNY used to make cards
    like this, but I only see Jaton brand now. The modern PNY ones
    are more likely to be useful with DVI or DisplayPort monitors.
    You could then disable the onboard display, and run all monitors
    from a single video card.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&N=2010380048&Subcategory=48&srchInDesc=quad

    You want to read the customer reviews first, to see if there are issues.
    Yes, there are issues.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814139055

    http://www.jaton.com/VGA/graphics_card_detail.php?pid=18

    To fit all the connectors on one faceplate, they use adapter cables.
    The faceplate end is something like a DMS-59 connector (something with
    more pins than a DVI), while the two monitor ends would be DVI cables.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-139-055-Z05?$S640W$

    On the back of the card, you can see, more or less, two GPUs and
    their associated memory chips in the layout.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-139-055-Z04?$S640W$

    In terms of the wiring, it should work like this. A PCI Express
    switch chip, splits the interface so that two GPUs can be used.
    It effectively makes two slots from one. Sometimes that confuses
    a less-sophisticated motherboard BIOS. Which is why one reviewer
    mentioned getting a BIOS update for the motherboard, if
    only two out of the four displays worked. If the motherboard
    BIOS is confused, it might only enable and use one of the two
    GPU chips.

    to two DVI monitors <--- HD3450 HD3450 ---> to two DVI monitors
    \ /
    \ /
    PCI Express
    Switch chip

    PCI Express x16

    That should give you better performance. Even if the x16 interface
    isn't really fully wired. I suspect it may be something like
    wired x8, and split into two x4 interfaces, just based on the
    surface mount caps I see near the slot connector. That is still
    plenty of bandwidth, compared to the crappy PCI bus. (x4 = 1GB/sec
    versus PCI 133MB/sec)

    The PNY catalog is here, and there is only a short section at the
    end claiming to drive 4 monitors. And the cards are too expensive.
    The VCQ450NVS-X16-DVI-PB for example, might be a prospective solution,
    except it'll be twice the price of the Jaton card.

    http://www3.pny.com/QuadroPDFs/QuadroLineCard.pdf

    If the whiny cooling fan on the card bothers you, there
    is a potential solution for that. Disconnect the tiny fan cable
    on the video card. Place an 80mm or 120mm Vantec Stealth computer
    case cooling fan, right next to the Jaton heatsink. That will give
    the airflow needed to keep it cool, without the high pitched noise
    of the 40mm fan on the video card itself. Whether this is feasable
    generally, depends on whether the heatsink is "open". Many heatsinks
    are closed in such a way, that not enough cooling air would make
    contact. But the Jaton heatsink looks open enough, to be cooled
    well using an adjacent computer case fan. I suspend the fans
    I use for this purpose, by bolting a "paint stick" to a PCI slot
    cover screw hole. Then use nylon ties, to hold the fan to the
    paint stick. I've also made a more classy solution, using aluminum
    angle iron, which costs about $10 for the aluminum at Home Depot.

    You can check the temperature of video cards, with a program called
    GPUZ (amongst others). First, you'd run the Jaton card with its
    own 40mm fan. Wait for temperatures to stabilize and take a reading.
    Then, disconnect the 40mm fan, position the 80mm or larger fan right
    next to the video card. Run the computer again and compare temperature
    readings. As long as the temperature hasn't shot up astronomically,
    that may be enough. This program may think there are two video cards
    connected, so there could be two different temperature readings to
    check (one per GPU).

    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

    Good luck,
    Paul