Re: On-board video ram sharing

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by J Brockley, Aug 10, 2008.

  1. J Brockley

    J Brockley Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:03 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >
    >> My motherboard has a default value for sharing ram with the
    >>on-board video - NVideo 6100.
    >>
    >> I've looked at the manual but can find no reference to any
    >>capability to change the default value.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to increase the shared ram value ?
    >>
    >>Lindsay Rollo
    >>Wellington, New Zealand

    > Never ever use a MoBo that has shared Video Ram, these are just Junk
    > models..

    Must have a book full of dumb statements.

    There are people that don't play games so onboard is more than adequate.

    J Brockley, Aug 10, 2008

  2. On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:01:45 +1200, J Brockley <>
    wrote in <news:g7mapq$psv$>:

    > "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:03 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    >>
    >>> My motherboard has a default value for sharing ram with the
    >>>on-board video - NVideo 6100.
    >>>
    >>> I've looked at the manual but can find no reference to any
    >>>capability to change the default value.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to increase the shared ram value ?
    >>>
    >>>Lindsay Rollo
    >>>Wellington, New Zealand

    >> Never ever use a MoBo that has shared Video Ram, these are just Junk
    >> models..
    >>

    > Must have a book full of dumb statements.

    He *wrote* the fucking book!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 10, 2008

  3. J Brockley

    Tony in Oz Guest

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:01:45 +1200, "J Brockley" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > I had to sort out a PC with is problem, the PC had been past on to a
    > Relative of mine, OK great
    > computer for her school use, yes until she borrowed SIMS 2 from a
    > friend..
    >
    > Lucky I had a Space PSU and 3D card and the crap mobo had a AGP slot.
    >
    > PC are not always tied to what they ware purchased for, plus 99% of
    > people just don't have a clue
    > in what shared memory is.
    >

    > But to me its UTER Crap and should never ever been sold or even made..

    I had a friend who inherited a Toyota Starlet. OK, great for getting
    around town and doing the shopping. Then a friend invited her onto the race
    track to see how it would go on there, but it couldn't compete with the race
    cars. Lucky I had a V8 to put in it and a new drive train... and chassis,
    and go-fast steering wheel...
    Therefore, following your logic, this car is UTER crap and should never
    have been sold or even made.
    PS. This story is not true in the least, I would never put a V8 in a
    Starlet, thats just silly. But so is Woger...

    Tony in Oz, Aug 10, 2008
  4. J Brockley

    EMB Guest

    Tony in Oz wrote:
    > PS. This story is not true in the least, I would never put a V8 in a
    > Starlet, thats just silly. But so is Woger...

    However the late Roger Freeth had great success on the race track with a
    V8 Toyota Starlet (and he was certainly not a silly man).

    EMB, Aug 11, 2008
  5. J Brockley

    Jonno Guest

    "Tony in Oz" <> wrote in message

    > "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:01:45 +1200, "J Brockley" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> I had to sort out a PC with is problem, the PC had been past on to a
    >> Relative of mine, OK great
    >> computer for her school use, yes until she borrowed SIMS 2 from a
    >> friend..
    >>
    >> Lucky I had a Space PSU and 3D card and the crap mobo had a AGP slot.
    >>
    >> PC are not always tied to what they ware purchased for, plus 99% of
    >> people just don't have a clue
    >> in what shared memory is.
    >>

    >> But to me its UTER Crap and should never ever been sold or even made..
    >>

    > I had a friend who inherited a Toyota Starlet. OK, great for getting
    > around town and doing the shopping. Then a friend invited her onto the
    > race track to see how it would go on there, but it couldn't compete with
    > the race cars. Lucky I had a V8 to put in it and a new drive train...
    > and chassis, and go-fast steering wheel...
    > Therefore, following your logic, this car is UTER crap and should never
    > have been sold or even made.
    > PS. This story is not true in the least, I would never put a V8 in a
    > Starlet, thats just silly. But so is Woger...

    No its not silly (but can't possibly comment on Roger). Trevor Crowe of
    Christchurch made and successfully raced a V8 powered Toyota Starlet. The
    car was later sold to Dr Roger Freeth who also raced the car until his death
    in Possum Bourne's rally car. There are also a few other examples of V8
    Starlets about. Check YouTube.
    So it all comes down to what you want to use it for, just like a computer
    with on-board video.

    Jonno, Aug 11, 2008
  6. J Brockley

    EMB Guest

    Jonno wrote:
    > No its not silly (but can't possibly comment on Roger). Trevor Crowe of
    > Christchurch made and successfully raced a V8 powered Toyota Starlet. The
    > car was later sold to Dr Roger Freeth who also raced the car until his death
    > in Possum Bourne's rally car. There are also a few other examples of V8
    > Starlets about. Check YouTube.

    I wouldn't have called Trevor Crowe's efforts in that car successful -
    it never really handled well whilst he owned it.

    EMB, Aug 11, 2008
  7. J Brockley

    > On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:01:45 +1200, "J Brockley" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >>> Never ever use a MoBo that has shared Video Ram, these are just Junk
    >>> models..
    >>>

    >>Must have a book full of dumb statements.
    >>
    >>There are people that don't play games so onboard is more than adequate.

    > Seems that you just can't see the light, lots of computers get passed on
    > and then is were the
    > problem starts..
    >
    > I had to sort out a PC with is problem, the PC had been past on to a
    > Relative of mine, OK great
    > computer for her school use, yes until she borrowed SIMS 2 from a
    > friend..
    >
    > Lucky I had a Space PSU and 3D card and the crap mobo had a AGP slot.
    >
    > PC are not always tied to what they ware purchased for, plus 99% of
    > people just don't have a clue
    > in what shared memory is.
    >

    > But to me its UTER Crap and should never ever been sold or even made..

    Guess that confirms it you do have a book full of dumb statements.
    I doubt anyone buys a PC for the person who's going to own it next.
    There are plenty a PC with onboard video doing just fine, probably nearly
    100% of those used in business.
    ..

    J Brockley, Aug 11, 2008
  8. J Brockley

    Jonno Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:48a00b44$...
    > Jonno wrote:
    >> No its not silly (but can't possibly comment on Roger). Trevor Crowe of
    >> Christchurch made and successfully raced a V8 powered Toyota Starlet. The
    >> car was later sold to Dr Roger Freeth who also raced the car until his
    >> death in Possum Bourne's rally car. There are also a few other examples
    >> of V8 Starlets about. Check YouTube.

    > I wouldn't have called Trevor Crowe's efforts in that car successful - it
    > never really handled well whilst he owned it.

    Trevor did ok in it and It handled well enough and certainly better than my
    V8 Escort.
    But agreed, Roger further modified the starlet to a higher standard.

    Jonno

    Jonno, Aug 13, 2008
  9. J Brockley

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message news:489fe1a0$...
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> PS. This story is not true in the least, I would never put a V8 in a
    >> Starlet, thats just silly. But so is Woger...

    > However the late Roger Freeth had great success on the race track with a
    > V8 Toyota Starlet (and he was certainly not a silly man).

    Yes I know these guys did some stuff with V8s and Starlets, its probably
    why that particular example came to mind as i was quickly jotting off my
    reply. I should probably have written Honda Civic or something...

    Tony in Oz, Aug 13, 2008