Re: Olympus says preparing legal action against execs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Nov 17, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 16, 3:25 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > http://news.yahoo.com/olympus-shares-rise-ex-ceo-may-questioned-03254...
    >
    >   "TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's disgraced Olympus Corp is preparing to
    >     take legal action, including possible criminal complaints, against
    >     any executives found responsible for the accounting scandal
    >     engulfing the firm, according to an internal staff email."
    >
    >    --- more ...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    They'll try to dispense with the matter as quickly as possible. As
    for dealing with a system that allows such corruption, the Japanese
    aren't going to change 400 years of Asian business practices because
    of this one problem.

    RichA, Nov 17, 2011

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Nov 16, 3:25 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/olympus-shares-rise-ex-ceo-may-questioned-03254...
    >>
    >>   "TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's disgraced Olympus Corp is preparing to
    >>     take legal action, including possible criminal complaints, against
    >>     any executives found responsible for the accounting scandal
    >>     engulfing the firm, according to an internal staff email."
    >>
    >>    --- more ...
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Eric Stevens

    >They'll try to dispense with the matter as quickly as possible. As
    >for dealing with a system that allows such corruption, the Japanese
    >aren't going to change 400 years of Asian business practices because
    >of this one problem.

    You would be naive if you thought that similar (mal)practice did not
    exist in other developed countries. The apparent cleanliness or
    rottenness of a country reflects more on its ability to cover up
    corruption than on the real level of corruption.

    Bruce, Nov 17, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 17, 5:43 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >On Nov 16, 3:25 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > >>http://news.yahoo.com/olympus-shares-rise-ex-ceo-may-questioned-03254....

    > >>   "TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's disgraced Olympus Corp is preparing to
    > >>     take legal action, including possible criminal complaints, against
    > >>     any executives found responsible for the accounting scandal
    > >>     engulfing the firm, according to an internal staff email."

    > >>    --- more ...

    > >> Regards,

    > >> Eric Stevens

    > >They'll try to dispense with the matter as quickly as possible.  As
    > >for dealing with a system that allows such corruption, the Japanese
    > >aren't going to change 400 years of Asian business practices because
    > >of this one problem.

    > You would be naive if you thought that similar (mal)practice did not
    > exist in other developed countries.  The apparent cleanliness or
    > rottenness of a country reflects more on its ability to cover up
    > corruption than on the real level of corruption.

    I'm sure it does. But some countries have business cultures that
    basically said it's ok to do whatever it takes to achieve whatever
    ends you are after. It's why so many E-bay'ers refuse to ship to
    Eastern European countries. 70 years of deprivation, black markets,
    scamming (in order to eek out an existence) and communism has tainted
    their business behaviour.

    RichA, Nov 18, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Nov 17, 5:43 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:

    >> >They'll try to dispense with the matter as quickly as possible.  As
    >> >for dealing with a system that allows such corruption, the Japanese
    >> >aren't going to change 400 years of Asian business practices because
    >> >of this one problem.

    >> You would be naive if you thought that similar (mal)practice did not
    >> exist in other developed countries.  The apparent cleanliness or
    >> rottenness of a country reflects more on its ability to cover up
    >> corruption than on the real level of corruption.

    >I'm sure it does. But some countries have business cultures that
    >basically said it's ok to do whatever it takes to achieve whatever
    >ends you are after. It's why so many E-bay'ers refuse to ship to
    >Eastern European countries. 70 years of deprivation, black markets,
    >scamming (in order to eek out an existence) and communism has tainted
    >their business behaviour.

    I don't think it is generally valid to link the level of corruption of
    governments and large organisations to the level of petty crime such
    as you might experience as an eBay seller. They are two very
    different things.

    Of course that doesn't exclude the possibility that eBay buyers in a
    country whose rulers and company executives are institutionally
    corrupt might also be unreliable.

    I won't ship eBay items to Italy, but that's because the Italian
    postal system is dysfunctional. I have sold photo items to eBay
    buyers in Romania and Hungary with no problems, but I was only
    prepared to do this because PayPal Seller protection applied to those
    sales.

    The country which stands out because of problems presented by past
    eBay buyers/sellers I have dealt with is the USA. So I only rarely
    buy from or sell to US-based eBay members, and take care when I do.

    Bruce, Nov 18, 2011
  5. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Bruce wrote:

    > > RichA <> wrote:
    > >> On Nov 16, 3:25 am, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > >> http://news.yahoo.com/olympus-shares-rise-ex-ceo-may-questioned-03254...
    > >>
    > >> "TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's disgraced Olympus Corp is preparing to
    > >> take legal action, including possible criminal complaints, against
    > >> any executives found responsible for the accounting scandal
    > >> engulfing the firm, according to an internal staff email."
    > >>
    > >> --- more ...
    > >>
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Eric Stevens

    > > They'll try to dispense with the matter as quickly as possible. As
    > > for dealing with a system that allows such corruption, the Japanese
    > > aren't going to change 400 years of Asian business practices because
    > > of this one problem.

    > You would be naive if you thought that similar (mal)practice did
    > not exist in other developed countries. The apparent cleanliness
    > or rottenness of a country reflects more on its ability to cover
    > up corruption than on the real level of corruption.

    Richard Anderson lives in Canada...the land of sky-blue waters and
    urine-stained snow. His abode is an igloo, and he shelters himself
    from any info that isn't Caunuck-related.

    As for "rottenness in developed countries" -- Russia is a useful
    example. Back in the days of communist repression, the West heard
    little of the USSR's crime and corruption. Post-Soviet Russia is
    a bit of a more open society, where "dirty laundry" has greater
    visibility.

    [Having a homicide rate some three times higher than the U.S.A.'s,
    is the worst embarrassment of all!]

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>