Re: Olympus E-5M must have Sony sensor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Jul 25, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Look at this DR test, the closeness to the NEX-7 and the vast gulf between
    >and the Panasonic camera and old Olympus camera.

    <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent>

    Why the surprise? Olympus has already released an official statement
    that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.

    The E-M5's RAW dynamic range is very impressive indeed. At base ISO,
    it is around 13.3 EV. At ISO 1600 it is still up around 12.7 EV.

    This is an exceptional sensor.

    However, there is something *seriously* wrong with the Panasonic GX1
    they tested. That sensor routinely produces a RAW dynamic range of
    10.7 - 11.0 EV.

    Bruce, Jul 25, 2012

  2. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 25, 7:26 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > >Look at this DR test, the closeness to the NEX-7 and the vast gulf between
    > >and the Panasonic camera and old Olympus camera.

    > <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digit...>
    >
    > Why the surprise?  Olympus has already released an official statement
    > that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.
    >
    > The E-M5's RAW dynamic range is very impressive indeed.  At base ISO,
    > it is around 13.3 EV.  At ISO 1600 it is still up around 12.7 EV.
    >
    > This is an exceptional sensor.
    >
    > However, there is something *seriously* wrong with the Panasonic GX1
    > they tested.  That sensor routinely produces a RAW dynamic range of
    > 10.7 - 11.0 EV.

    Some say their testing is "off." I personally do not know yet if the
    DR of the Olympus is that wide, but it is definitely wider than the
    Panasonic products I've used, including the GH2. It's actually
    surprising not to see blown areas or areas of unrecoverable shadow
    with it, a nice surprise.

    RichA, Jul 25, 2012

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Jul 25, 7:26 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> Rich <> wrote:
    >> >Look at this DR test, the closeness to the NEX-7 and the vast gulf between
    >> >and the Panasonic camera and old Olympus camera.

    >> <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digit...>
    >>
    >> Why the surprise?  Olympus has already released an official statement
    >> that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.
    >>
    >> The E-M5's RAW dynamic range is very impressive indeed.  At base ISO,
    >> it is around 13.3 EV.  At ISO 1600 it is still up around 12.7 EV.
    >>
    >> This is an exceptional sensor.
    >>
    >> However, there is something *seriously* wrong with the Panasonic GX1
    >> they tested.  That sensor routinely produces a RAW dynamic range of
    >> 10.7 - 11.0 EV.

    >Some say their testing is "off." I personally do not know yet if the
    >DR of the Olympus is that wide, but it is definitely wider than the
    >Panasonic products I've used, including the GH2. It's actually
    >surprising not to see blown areas or areas of unrecoverable shadow
    >with it, a nice surprise.

    Apparently DxO Labs were so surprised by the excellent performance of
    the sensor that they decided to test a second sample.

    Bruce, Jul 25, 2012
  4. Bruce

    Mike Guest

    On 25/07/2012 7:26 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    >> Look at this DR test, the closeness to the NEX-7 and the vast gulf between
    >> and the Panasonic camera and old Olympus camera.
    >>

    > <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/olympus-om-d-1075717/review/page:5#articleContent>
    >

    > Why the surprise? Olympus has already released an official statement
    > that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.

    Rich only sees what he wants to..

    --
    Mike

    Mike, Jul 25, 2012
  5. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 25, 3:35 pm, Mike <> wrote:
    > On 25/07/2012 7:26 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >
    > > Rich <> wrote:
    > >> Look at this DR test, the closeness to the NEX-7 and the vast gulf between
    > >> and the Panasonic camera and old Olympus camera.

    > > <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digit....>

    > > Why the surprise?  Olympus has already released an official statement
    > > that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.

    > Rich only sees what he wants to..
    >
    > --
    > Mike

    I pointed it out because there are still people insisting it's using a
    Panasonic sensor even after Olympus said they were using Sony. It's
    like in a way when the E-330 Olympus came out and people where crying
    they still preferred the noisy Kodak sensors.

    RichA, Jul 25, 2012
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Jul 25, 3:35 pm, Mike <> wrote:

    >> > <http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digit...>

    >> > Why the surprise?  Olympus has already released an official statement
    >> > that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.

    >> Rich only sees what he wants to..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike

    >I pointed it out because there are still people insisting it's using a
    >Panasonic sensor even after Olympus said they were using Sony. It's
    >like in a way when the E-330 Olympus came out and people where crying
    >they still preferred the noisy Kodak sensors.

    Two months ago I was told by the Olympus UK sales rep that the OM-D
    E-M5 used the same Panasonic sensor that is in the Panasonic GX1. I
    asked if he was sure and he said "Yes, 100%." On that basis I saw no
    reason to order one.

    When it turned out to have a new Sony sensor that has much lower noise
    than the Panasonic sensor in the GX1, and **13 stops** of dynamic
    range, I regretted not ordering one. So I can perfectly well
    understand why you pointed it out.

    Bruce, Jul 25, 2012