Re: Olympus C-2500L Zoom Trouble

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Zinn, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Bill Zinn

    Bill Zinn Guest

    "Paul H." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Bill Zinn" <> wrote in message
    > > We have had an Olympus C-2500L for about two years now and generally
    > > like the camera. However, in recent weeks an annoying problem has
    > > surfaced. Sometimes when I turn the camera on, I can't always get the
    > > zoom control to work. It is totally dead. Sometimes opening and
    > > closing the mem. card door, gets it started. Sometime you have to
    > > turn the camera off and on again. Or sometimes if you take a shot,
    > > then the zoom control will begin to function. This is not a problem
    > > with low batteries - happens even with freshly-charged sets. Also, it
    > > is not related to temperature as the camera is always stored and used
    > > inside.
    > >
    > > Does this model allow firmware upgrades by owners? Otherwise, I guess
    > > we're going to have to send it out for repair. We are getting a new
    > > digital Rebel for our dept, but another dept. wants to use this
    > > C-2500L.

    > Have you tried duplicating the problem while the camera is attached to the
    > AC adapter? Perhaps you have a loose contact in the battery compartment.
    > You might also try moistening a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol and cleaning
    > the battery contacts to see if corrosion or oxide build-up is responsible
    > for the intermittent problem. I don't think the problem resides in the
    > memory card door switch, however: I just powered up my C-2500L, opened the
    > mem card door and although the camera would not take a picture or focus, the
    > zoom mechanism worked just fine.
    >
    > Frankly, with what Olympus charges for out-of-warranty repair, you'd be
    > better off buying a replacement on ebay, if you must have a C-2500L.
    >
    > And, no, the C-2500L doesn't have user-upgradeable firmware, I'm sorry to
    > say. I wish it did!

    I checked the contacts and they look good. We didn't get the optional
    AC cord, so I can't test that. I see in the manual that there is a
    lithium battery. I'm going to bring in my tester to check the voltage
    on that. Maybe that is the problem. The problem is spoadic -
    sometimes it is there and sometimes not.

    Thanks for your ideas!

    Bill

    Bill Zinn, Apr 1, 2004