Re: Olympus 5050

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lucas Tam, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Lucas Tam

    Lucas Tam Guest

    Jen <> wrote in news:0r0liv02tfqs63il55licba55tjfsh9o97@
    4ax.com:

    > I am seriously considering the Olympus 5050 to replace my CP950 but I
    > cannot seem to find detailed info on the memory type used. Seems 5050
    > can use flash cards too but their web site says to us their own XD
    > type memory for panorama shots.

    I believe it uses xD AND CF cards.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Lucas Tam

    Polytone Guest

    Yes, it takes both. It has 2 slots. You can keep 2 cards in at the same
    time. However, you must use the Olympus brand only XD cards for panoramic
    shots.

    Polytone, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Lucas Tam

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <NqxWa.3561$>,
    "Polytone" <> wrote:

    > Yes, it takes both. It has 2 slots. You can keep 2 cards in at the same
    > time. However, you must use the Olympus brand only XD cards for panoramic
    > shots.

    It has =three= slots; XD, SM and CF.
    You can use any card for panoramic shots if you use 3rd party panoramic
    software.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Polytone <> wrote:
    > Yes, it takes both. It has 2 slots. You can keep 2 cards in at the same
    > time. However, you must use the Olympus brand only XD cards for panoramic
    > shots.

    Well, that's not really true. What is disabled is the camera feature which
    displays part of the last shot on the LCD for ease in setting up the next shot
    of the panorama. (Though you can reformat any card into looking like an
    Olympus-brand card to enable this feature if you want to - the info is on the
    web if you look for it.) However, nothing is stopping you from taking whatever
    shots you want and stitching them together using non-Olympus software.
    I've used PanoramaFactory and PanoTools just fine on many panoramas taken on
    non-Oly memory cards, with both my old D450 and my new C5050.

    This whole issue's a red herring, I think. In reality it's never mattered
    to me one bit nor hindered me from taking panorama shots in the slightest.

    - Marshall
    Marshall Perrin, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Lucas Tam

    Jimmy Guest

    "Charlie D" <> wrote in message
    > In article <NqxWa.3561$>,
    > "Polytone" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, it takes both. It has 2 slots. You can keep 2 cards in at the same
    > > time. However, you must use the Olympus brand only XD cards for panoramic
    > > shots.

    > It has =three= slots; XD, SM and CF.
    > You can use any card for panoramic shots if you use 3rd party panoramic
    > software.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie Dilks
    > Newark, DE USA

    Did I miss something here, my C-5050 only has two slots! The xD/SM combo slot is an "either/or"
    proposition, but both media can not be used at the same time. I regularly have a xD and a CF card
    in my camera as the CF media has a separate slot. This is what Polytone was referring to.
    Jimmy, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Lucas Tam

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <M5CWa.122274$>,
    "Jimmy" <> wrote:

    > Did I miss something here, my C-5050 only has two slots! The xD/SM combo
    > slot is an "either/or" proposition, but both media can not be used at the same time.

    They have a combo opening, but the XD slot is much narrower and
    shallower. The poster to whom I was responding made it sound like the XD
    and SM used the same slot. That might lead the person asking the
    question to believe he could use the same card reader for both.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 2, 2003
  7. Lucas Tam

    Jimmy Guest

    "Charlie D" <> wrote in message
    > In article <M5CWa.122274$>,
    > "Jimmy" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Did I miss something here, my C-5050 only has two slots! The xD/SM combo
    > > slot is an "either/or" proposition, but both media can not be used at the same time.

    > They have a combo opening, but the XD slot is much narrower and
    > shallower. The poster to whom I was responding made it sound like the XD
    > and SM used the same slot. That might lead the person asking the
    > question to believe he could use the same card reader for both.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie Dilks
    > Newark, DE USA

    Okay, now I understand what you were saying. The poster needs to know that the camera can accept
    two cards at the same time, but the combo has to be a CF with either a xD or SM; but it can not
    accept the xD and SM simultaneously.
    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2003
  8. Lucas Tam

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <i_HWa.124203$>,
    "Jimmy" <> wrote:

    > Okay, now I understand what you were saying. The poster needs to know that
    > the camera can accept
    > two cards at the same time, but the combo has to be a CF with either a xD or
    > SM; but it can not
    > accept the xD and SM simultaneously.

    I believe we have all bases covered now. ;)

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 2, 2003