Re: "OLD" PC ads

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. Jeff Strickland, Apr 26, 2008

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > The first PC I ever bought was a 386 with a VGA monitor and 350M hard
    > drive. I was told I could never fill it up. It was cutting edge.
    >
    > I toss more cookies than that these days.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/143521-4/if_its_good_enough_for_shatner.html

    I still have my original XT and the 6Mhz 286 AT that followed it, and it
    still works.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 27, 2008

  3. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> The first PC I ever bought was a 386 with a VGA monitor and 350M hard
    >> drive. I was told I could never fill it up. It was cutting edge.
    >>
    >> I toss more cookies than that these days.
    >>>

    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/143521-4/if_its_good_enough_for_shatner.html
    >>>

    > I still have my original XT and the 6Mhz 286 AT that followed it, and it
    > still works.

    What do you use them for, they're far too big for holding paper to the desk.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 27, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>> The first PC I ever bought was a 386 with a VGA monitor and 350M
    >>> hard drive. I was told I could never fill it up. It was cutting
    >>> edge.
    >>>
    >>> I toss more cookies than that these days.

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/143521-4/if_its_good_enough_for_shatner.html

    >> I still have my original XT and the 6Mhz 286 AT that followed it, and
    >> it still works.
    >>

    > What do you use them for, they're far too big for holding paper to the
    > desk.

    Well the 286, one of the two anyway, has been fitted with a 3.5" floppy
    drive in addition to the 5.25 floppy it originally came with and does
    service copying from one disk size to the other.

    The other one did service as a dial up internet appliance up until a few
    years ago. That was originally done to support a five machine internet
    cafe way back, 1990/1/2 ish.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 27, 2008
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Atlantis" <> wrote in message
    >> Baron pisze:
    >>
    >>> I still have my original XT and the 6Mhz 286 AT that followed it,
    >>> and it
    >>> still works.

    > I had an AT with 2-360K floppies and a C64 ( which I preferred) then
    > got an XT, I still have that ( minus the motherboard). I kept it to
    > use with an XT-compatible motherboard just as a joke for visitors - to
    > see us using what they think is a ( then 20 yr old) Pc. My sister ran
    > her travel business on an XT box - WITH the 2 360K floppies until the
    > mid-late 90's ! It's still in their basement - with all the floppies
    > to make it work. When she called me to fix it I couldn't believe that
    > she was still using it but - it did the job and she never even thought
    > of upgrading. I offered her an older PC of mine ( maybe a 486 ?? then)
    > but she preferred hers and had everything she needed on floppy.

    Those AT's were great machines ! Amazing what you could do with 640Kb
    ram. That was the first machine that had 30 pin simms in it. It could
    actually support two 1Mb simms, but it was quite a while later before a
    suitable memory manager became available.

    The XT's, if I remember correctly, didn't have a HDD fitted. If you
    wanted to save something bigger than 360K you had to use an audio
    cassette recorder to do it in very much the same way as the Commodore,
    Tandy, Sharp et al.

    When you think about it, there were an awful lot of Z80 based machines
    around at that time and few Motorola based ones like the C64 and I
    belive the VIC20.

    Time flys.........
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Apr 27, 2008
  6. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    Thanks for the interesting links.

    Baron.

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >>- Bobb - wrote:

    > <snipped>
    >> Those AT's were great machines ! Amazing what you could do with
    >> 640Kb
    >> ram. That was the first machine that had 30 pin simms in it. It
    >> could actually support two 1Mb simms, but it was quite a while later
    >> before a suitable memory manager became available.
    >>
    >> The XT's, if I remember correctly, didn't have a HDD fitted.

    > http://www.vintage-computer.com/ibmpcxt.shtml
    > XT's came with optional HDD.
    > Mine had a seagate hdd and several years later ( when they became
    > cheaper) I upgraded to a 40 mb ! I started the diskcopy and went to
    > bed. In the morning it was 'almost' done copying the 10 or 20mb to the
    > new drive. Also added ISA based mem card to add another ...128k ??
    >
    > Cleaning up around the house the past winter and saw that I still had
    > it
    > and other stuff ( like 5 1/4" floppy drives) etc in storage ! Gotta
    > clean
    > up a little more frequently, huh ? the Computer Museum DID take my
    > first (Royal-Litton) calculator, but has all the IBM stuff it ever
    > wanted.
    >
    > The first one I had - not an AT / XT - just an " IBM PC" had only 360K
    > floppy drives and less slots.
    > http://www.vintage-computer.com/ibm_pc.shtml
    > Maybe 10 years ago I thought it might be valuable - WRONG. No one
    > wanted to even take it, so before it became "hazardous waste", I
    > tossed it.
    >
    >> If you
    >> wanted to save something bigger than 360K you had to use an audio
    >> cassette recorder to do it in very much the same way as the
    >> Commodore, Tandy, Sharp et al.
    >>

    > I 'upgraded' my Commodore and bought the 170k floppy drive !
    >
    >> When you think about it, there were an awful lot of Z80 based
    >> machines around at that time and few Motorola based ones like the C64
    >> and I believe the VIC20.

    > Everyone wanted their own version to be exclusive. Once you bought
    > their computer - you'd stay 'cuz you COULDN"T switch AND keep your
    > software. The only reason that Intel caught on (I think) was - that's
    > what IBM chose and to be "IBM-compatible" the clones then used Intel.
    > Intel and Msft then got into bed and - other than Apple - everyone
    > used Intel.
    >

    >> Time flys.........

    Doesn't it just ! :)

    --