Re: Old is new again?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, May 16, 2011.

  1. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    > It seems that for some of the current generation there is something to
    > be found in analog photography.
    >
    > < http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20062810-93.html >
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Ah, yes, just as with audio in which there is still a market for
    "classic" gear from the past - and even new LPs are being made
    (you know, those big 12" black disks that are played with a
    stylus running in a groove...! ;-). BTW, for those interested
    in some mint-condition (and some not so mint) Nikon gear, I have
    some listed here --
    < http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm >
    A friend also has a Minolta and a few lenses - or if you really
    want to go "unique", a Pentax 110 SLR with some lenses...;-)
    --DR

    David Ruether, May 16, 2011

  2. David Ruether

    Peter Chant Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    > K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.

    I'll have to get a replacement battery and get my Electro out. Why anyone
    bothers with toy cameras (Lomo etc) when there are excellent bits of older
    kit I don't know.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, May 16, 2011

  3. David Ruether

    Bob Dobbs Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    <~~~>

    >Argus C3

    <~~~>
    I remember first time I ever saw and got to examine an Argus C3
    (was sometime back in the late 40s)
    thinking if I ever could own one I'd never need any other.
    --

    http://bit.ly/g2PCII

    Bob Dobbs, May 16, 2011
  4. David Ruether

    Peter Chant Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > What battery are you using in your Electro?
    >
    > I got one of the conversion/adaptors from yashica-guy.com, and that
    > works just great.
    > < http://www.yashica-guy.com/document/battery.html >

    4LR44. Cardboard wrapped around it to 'fatten' it up a little plus a stout
    spring to fill the gap at the end.

    To be truthful I've barely used my film cameras since getting the digital.
    I'm useless at traditional darkroom stuff and digital was much better for
    me. I hate scanning, I really hate scanning. This is a shame as although
    the Electro is not the camera for everything when it does suit it is a
    pleasure to use. Point and shoot, but with a little more control.
    Excellent photos. Despite the simple metering it seems to get it right.

    IIRC we had this conversation about 2 years ago...

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Peter Chant, May 17, 2011
  5. David Ruether

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/16/2011 4:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2011-05-16 12:53:16 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:
    >

    >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> It seems that for some of the current generation there is something to
    >>> be found in analog photography.
    >>>
    >>> < http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20062810-93.html >
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Savageduck

    >> Ah, yes, just as with audio in which there is still a market for
    >> "classic" gear from the past - and even new LPs are being made
    >> (you know, those big 12" black disks that are played with a
    >> stylus running in a groove...! ;-). BTW, for those interested
    >> in some mint-condition (and some not so mint) Nikon gear, I have
    >> some listed here --
    >> < http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm >
    >> A friend also has a Minolta and a few lenses - or if you really
    >> want to go "unique", a Pentax 110 SLR with some lenses...;-)
    >> --DR

    > Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    > K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.

    Maybe I won't sell my Bronica, baby Rollei or Yashicamat TLR. I even
    have a Bolex 8mm camera.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 17, 2011
  6. David Ruether

    RichA Guest

    On May 16, 4:22 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2011-05-16 12:53:16 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:
    >

    > > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    > >> It seems that for some of the current generation there is something to
    > >> be found in analog photography.

    > >> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20062810-93.html>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,

    > >> Savageduck

    > > Ah, yes, just as with audio in which there is still a market for
    > > "classic" gear from the past - and even new LPs are being made
    > > (you know, those big 12" black disks that are played with a
    > > stylus running in a groove...! ;-). BTW, for those interested
    > > in some mint-condition (and some not so mint) Nikon gear, I have
    > > some listed here --
    > >  <http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm>
    > > A friend also has a Minolta and a few lenses - or if you really
    > > want to go "unique", a Pentax 110 SLR with some lenses...;-)
    > > --DR

    > Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    > K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I've got about 14 film bodies, most acquired to get lenses attached to
    the camera. But, I still like shooting black and white and still have
    a darkroom. It is a lot of work and I don't see many people going
    that far if they've never used film before, but I have definitely seen
    an influx of younger people at specialized historical photo shows, and
    antique markets known for having old photo gear.

    RichA, May 17, 2011
  7. David Ruether

    RichA Guest

    On May 16, 9:18 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 5/16/2011 4:22 PM, Savageduck wrote:
    >

    > > On 2011-05-16 12:53:16 -0700, "David Ruether" <> said:

    > >> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    > >> Ah, yes, just as with audio in which there is still a market for
    > >> "classic" gear from the past - and even new LPs are being made
    > >> (you know, those big 12" black disks that are played with a
    > >> stylus running in a groove...! ;-). BTW, for those interested
    > >> in some mint-condition (and some not so mint) Nikon gear, I have
    > >> some listed here --
    > >> <http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm>
    > >> A friend also has a Minolta and a few lenses - or if you really
    > >> want to go "unique", a Pentax 110 SLR with some lenses...;-)
    > >> --DR

    > > Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    > > K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.

    > Maybe I won't sell my Bronica, baby Rollei or Yashicamat TLR. I even
    > have a Bolex 8mm camera.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Hang on to the 8mm lens(s) you might have. If Nikon or Pentax release
    new mirrorless cameras with small sensors, the 8mm lenses could
    become as valuable as 16mm lenses have become.

    RichA, May 17, 2011
  8. David Ruether

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/17/2011 8:40 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On May 16, 9:18 pm, PeterN<> wrote:

    >>> Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    >>> K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.

    >> Maybe I won't sell my Bronica, baby Rollei or Yashicamat TLR. I even
    >> have a Bolex 8mm camera.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > Hang on to the 8mm lens(s) you might have. If Nikon or Pentax release
    > new mirrorless cameras with small sensors, the 8mm lenses could
    > become as valuable as 16mm lenses have become.

    ROFLMAO
    You sure know a lot about photography.
    An 8mm Bolex is camera that uses 8mm movie film. It is not a lens

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 17, 2011
  9. David Ruether

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/17/2011 11:14 AM, George Kerby wrote:

    > On 5/17/11 9:19 AM, in article
    > 201105170719277826-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >>> ROFLMAO
    >>> You sure know a lot about photography.
    >>> An 8mm Bolex is camera that uses 8mm movie film. It is not a lens

    >> Let's see. Rich's response to that is going to be, "Of course it is an
    >> 8mm movie camera, I knew that! I was talking about the lenses which
    >> that camera came with."
    >>
    >> Sigh!

    > You mean that most excellent Ÿ6.3 turret set?

    Mine did not have the turret. I saw one on sale recently for 99 cents.
    About the time I could afford the turret Super 8 had just come out so I
    got a super 8 with zoom. The lens quality was not as good as the Bolex,
    but it was just for movies of the kids.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 17, 2011
  10. David Ruether

    K W Hart Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    On May 16, 4:22 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2011-05-16 12:53:16 -0700, "David Ruether" <>
    > said:
    >

    > > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

    > >> It seems that for some of the current generation there is something to
    > >> be found in analog photography.

    > >> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20062810-93.html>

    > >> --
    > >> Regards,

    > >> Savageduck

    > > Ah, yes, just as with audio in which there is still a market for
    > > "classic" gear from the past - and even new LPs are being made
    > > (you know, those big 12" black disks that are played with a
    > > stylus running in a groove...! ;-). BTW, for those interested
    > > in some mint-condition (and some not so mint) Nikon gear, I have
    > > some listed here --
    > > <http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/fs.htm>
    > > A friend also has a Minolta and a few lenses - or if you really
    > > want to go "unique", a Pentax 110 SLR with some lenses...;-)
    > > --DR

    > Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    > K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    I've got about 14 film bodies, most acquired to get lenses attached to
    the camera. But, I still like shooting black and white and still have
    a darkroom. It is a lot of work and I don't see many people going
    that far if they've never used film before, but I have definitely seen
    an influx of younger people at specialized historical photo shows, and
    antique markets known for having old photo gear.

    ----------------------------------
    I have over 400 35mm SLR bodies and over 600 lenses for them. I use all of
    them in rotation. I sometimes shoot B&W, but usually color because of the
    ease in locating film. I process & print the film in my (wet) darkroom.
    Most of the young people who have seen me using this equipment either
    question that film is still available, or they want to check the display on
    the back of the camera and are amazed that there is no screen.

    K W Hart, May 17, 2011
  11. David Ruether

    Bruce Guest

    "K W Hart" <> wrote:

    >I have over 400 35mm SLR bodies and over 600 lenses for them. I use all of
    >them in rotation. I sometimes shoot B&W, but usually color because of the
    >ease in locating film. I process & print the film in my (wet) darkroom.
    >Most of the young people who have seen me using this equipment either
    >question that film is still available, or they want to check the display on
    >the back of the camera and are amazed that there is no screen.

    Wow! 600 lenses ...

    Do you take any special measures to prevent fungus attacking your
    lenses? Or are you fortunate enough to live in an area where the
    humidity is low?

    Bruce, May 18, 2011
  12. David Ruether

    Rol_Lei Nut Guest

    On 5/18/2011 4:02, Paul Furman wrote:

    > I think he understood that 8mm format is half of 16mm format, which is
    > half of 35mm format. I dunno if there are any decent 8mm movie lenses
    > though...

    While 8mm (single 8, that is) is a 16mm film cut in half, 16mm is *not*
    half of 35mm.

    There were some excellent lenses made for the 8mm format, by Kern
    (Paillard) and Angenieux, just to mention two makers which come to mind.

    Used on micro 4/3 cameras, some lenses made for 16mm will cover the
    format (especially teles), while many others will vignette or form
    circular images.
    Lenses designed to cover the 8mm format would definitely not cover the
    4/3 frame, unless used for close-up/macro work.

    Rol_Lei Nut, May 18, 2011
  13. David Ruether

    PeterN Guest

    On 5/17/2011 10:44 PM, Paul Furman wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >> PeterN wrote:

    >>> ROFLMAO
    >>> You sure know a lot about photography.
    >>> An 8mm Bolex is camera that uses 8mm movie film. It is not a lens

    >> I think he understood that 8mm format is half of 16mm format, which is
    >> half of 35mm format. I dunno if there are any decent 8mm movie lenses
    >> though...

    > Example:
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyoptic/5713834753/

    Nice effects. That is a nice use for that lens

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, May 18, 2011
  14. David Ruether

    newshound Guest

    "Peter Chant" <> wrote in message
    > Savageduck wrote:
    >
    >> Well I still have 4 very functional 35mm's. My father's Argus C3, my
    >> K1000 + some lenses, a Yashica Electro35, and a Pentax 35AF.
    >>

    > I'll have to get a replacement battery and get my Electro out. Why anyone
    > bothers with toy cameras (Lomo etc) when there are excellent bits of older
    > kit I don't know.
    >
    > Pete
    >
    > --
    > http://www.petezilla.co.uk

    Wow that takes me back. I had an Electro 35cc, what a great camera that was,
    in its day. If only it had had a wider ASA setting, to let you correct for
    reciprocity failure when using Kodachrome II in low light. (Kodachrome 25
    was a real step backwards).

    newshound, May 18, 2011
  15. David Ruether

    newshound Guest

    >> Wow that takes me back. I had an Electro 35cc, what a great camera that
    >> was, in its day. If only it had had a wider ASA setting, to let you
    >> correct for reciprocity failure when using Kodachrome II in low light.
    >> (Kodachrome 25 was a real step backwards).

    > Mine is the Electro35G GT;
    > < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Yash-Electro35-0360.jpg >
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Savageduck

    Nice.

    I *always* fancied one of those with the faster lens and longer max
    exposure, but decided in the end to go for the cheaper and more compact 35cc
    (I also had a reflex habit to support in those days). But the 35cc was the
    most useful general purpose camera I ever owned, until I got an Ixus 850 is
    (which provides macro, zoom, and an extra two stops via the image
    stabiliser). In fact I still use the Ixus far more than the G10, even though
    it does look like a hairdresser's camera.

    Steve

    newshound, May 20, 2011