Re: Old Dell Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, May 24, 2009.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    nobody > wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >> A number of years ago I gave a friend of mine an old Win98 machine
    >> which she recently outgrew.
    >>
    >> I found a pretty decent Dell P-III-733mhz in my workshop with win2k on
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Weird thing is, the factory sticker on the side was for win95.
    >>
    >> I find it hard to believe that a P-III when new would have had win95
    >> on it.
    >>
    >> Unless patched, Win95 won't even run on a CPU that fast.
    >>
    >> No evidence the machine was modded.
    >>
    >> Just wondered if the Win95 sticker was a factory mistake or something?

    > It's entirely possible this machine was "corporate iron" somewhere in
    > its past. IT kept W95 going until about 2002 at work and then jumped to
    > XP. This "staying with an ancient OS and patch the hell out of it"
    > practice is fairly common for companies.
    >
    > I know a lot of companies made special purchases of computers spec'ed
    > with W95 for some time after M$ stopped selling it at retail.
    >
    > (IT at wurk uses "volume licenses", so we don't see PID stickers)
    >
    > IIRC, you can go to Dell's support site and enter the serial number to
    > get the details and docs on that machine as it was sold. I know Gateway
    > does this but uses a "service number" instead of serial #.

    When I go back over there to restore her data from the old machine,
    I'll get the serial number...I know it had one right above the
    COA sticker.

    I am pretty sure the machine was in-fact a corporate donation...
    so that could explain why it was win95.

    I know that the company I work for is world-wide
    and they need to keep all systems and software compatible throughout the
    entire system. Win2k was still being used until two years ago (approx)

    philo, May 24, 2009