Re: Old Dell Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, May 24, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:

    > I found a pretty decent Dell P-III-733mhz in my workshop with win2k on
    > it.

    What kind of case/PS, baby AT or ATX?

    P-III 733 should be coppermine core released in 2000 Mar.

    > Weird thing is, the factory sticker on the side was for win95.

    Win98 released 1998 Jun. Dell is not going to be putting a year 2000 cpu
    with w95 since 98 has been out 2 years.

    > I find it hard to believe that a P-III when new would have had win95 on
    > it.

    Win 2K was released 2000 Feb. That release date matches the PIII-733,
    W95 doesn't match.

    > Unless patched, Win95 won't even run on a CPU that fast.

    What? I don't know what you mean? What would keep it from running?

    > No evidence the machine was modded.

    Evidence? What kind of evidence would you expect to see if someone
    changed cases?

    > Just wondered if the Win95 sticker was a factory mistake or something?

    I suspect that if you determine the case/PS to be (baby) AT vs ATX, you
    might have another clue.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 24, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Buffalo Guest

    philo wrote:
    [snip]

    > here is win95 info for the fast cpu patch
    >
    > http://www.thpc.info/dual/95b95cfix.html
    >
    > so it appears that win95 might have been run on a p-III...
    > though to me it seems unlikely

    That link seems to indicate that a PIII 733Mhz cpu would have no problems
    running Win95.

    Buffalo, May 24, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    philo Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "Buffalo" <> wrote in
    >
    >> philo wrote:
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> here is win95 info for the fast cpu patch
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thpc.info/dual/95b95cfix.html
    >>>
    >>> so it appears that win95 might have been run on a p-III...
    >>> though to me it seems unlikely
    >>>

    >> That link seems to indicate that a PIII 733Mhz cpu would
    >> have no problems running Win95.

    > I have a PIV 2GHz running 98SELite (which includes 3 essential
    > 95 files incl. the shell).
    > I have no doubt that this machine would run 95 as well.
    >
    > I know modern motherboards don't work with older Win versions
    > but I am not sure about DOS and what were basically DOS
    > extensions, Win 3.1 and 95. They might well run on the latest
    > quad core system, although why is another question.
    >
    > Unless you are *****POSITIVE**** the sticker was factory-
    > affixed, it must have been put on later.
    >
    > /Or/ the case is not from the /exact/ same machine as the guts
    > (or some variation thereof, like everything 95 but MB and
    > processor changed).

    The sticker sure looks like it was from the factory...

    anyway the thing is now running win2k and works fine

    philo, May 24, 2009
  4. Mike Easter

    philo Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> here is win95 info for the fast cpu patch
    >>
    >> http://www.thpc.info/dual/95b95cfix.html
    >>
    >> so it appears that win95 might have been run on a p-III...
    >> though to me it seems unlikely
    >>

    > That link seems to indicate that a PIII 733Mhz cpu would have no problems
    > running Win95.

    Yes...
    seems the patch was just needed for the faster AMD cpu's

    philo, May 24, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    elaich Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:77rhlbF1jia2gU1
    @mid.individual.net:

    >> Unless patched, Win95 won't even run on a CPU that fast.

    > What? I don't know what you mean? What would keep it from running?

    I've run Win 95 on my Compaq 2 gig machine, and it was blazing fast. No
    problems whatsoever. If it supported USB properly, and if Firefox supported
    it any more, I'd use it all the time.

    elaich, May 24, 2009
  6. Mike Easter

    philo Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:77rhlbF1jia2gU1
    > @mid.individual.net:
    >
    >>> Unless patched, Win95 won't even run on a CPU that fast.

    >> What? I don't know what you mean? What would keep it from running?

    > I've run Win 95 on my Compaq 2 gig machine, and it was blazing fast. No
    > problems whatsoever. If it supported USB properly, and if Firefox supported
    > it any more, I'd use it all the time.

    Yes...
    were it not for USB I might still be using win95 myself.

    My first computer was a p-1 with win95
    but it took way too long to transfer images from my camera to the HD via
    the serial port.

    Though I added a USB card and even upgraded to win95B
    I never did get USB to work and ended up upgrading to win98.

    That's where the upgrade game started as it was win98se

    then win2k and later XP

    and now I am using Linux.

    Through the years I've worked on hundreds of machines
    and never found a win95 machine that actually had USB support...

    until recently, that is.

    I got one of those Packard Bell "art deco" machines with Win95B
    and built-in USB ports...and much to my surprise USB actually works.

    Many years ago I heard that the only way to get USB working on a win95
    machine was if it had on-board USB...so maybe that's true.

    philo, May 24, 2009