Re: Old Compaq?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Aug 2, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:00:34 -0500, philo wrote:

    > I picked up an old Compaq mobo
    >
    > don't know what model it was originally in but the cpu is an AMD1400
    >
    > built a machine from spare parts and loaded XP
    >

    > runs fine *except* it will only boot if the cd is in the drive
    >

    > Even if I have set the machine to boot first from HD

    So it's got a TBird 1400 in it. That dates it around 2000.
    Probably an 06E4H mobo just guessing though. Worked on a lot
    of those as the Presario was pretty much the defacto workstation
    for industry and government.

    My nose around here:
    http://snipurl.com/103tpq

    And see what you can dig up. It's idiotic to assume that board needs a
    CDROM image to boot off the hard drive.

    Meat Plow, Aug 2, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:43:31 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 08/02/2010 10:23 AM, Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:00:34 -0500, philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I picked up an old Compaq mobo
    >>>
    >>> don't know what model it was originally in but the cpu is an AMD1400
    >>>
    >>> built a machine from spare parts and loaded XP
    >>>

    >>> runs fine *except* it will only boot if the cd is in the drive
    >>>

    >>> Even if I have set the machine to boot first from HD

    >> So it's got a TBird 1400 in it. That dates it around 2000. Probably an
    >> 06E4H mobo just guessing though. Worked on a lot of those as the
    >> Presario was pretty much the defacto workstation for industry and
    >> government.
    >>
    >> My nose around here:
    >> http://snipurl.com/103tpq
    >>
    >> And see what you can dig up. It's idiotic to assume that board needs a
    >> CDROM image to boot off the hard drive.

    > No never said it was designed to boot from a cdrom image

    Technically either did I.

    > but I was wondering if it was one that needed a diagnostic partition to
    > work

    That partition was hidden IIRC why would it need it? I have a Compaq
    Prosignia 300 server that's 5 years older and certainly came with the
    same configuration in partitioning. It boots fine off the single
    partition drive. Hell it went from booting Novell 3x, Windows 95, Windows
    Hydra and now DOS 6.22.

    This is the hard drive portion of the PC's bootstrap, browse over it so u
    understand how and why things are the way they are. it is possible
    something is wrong with your mobo also.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INT_13

    Meat Plow, Aug 2, 2010

  3. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:08:59 -0500, philo wrote:

    > On 08/02/2010 04:21 PM, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> No never said it was designed to boot from a cdrom image

    >> Technically either did I.
    >>
    >>> but I was wondering if it was one that needed a diagnostic partition
    >>> to work

    >> That partition was hidden IIRC why would it need it? I have a Compaq
    >> Prosignia 300 server that's 5 years older and certainly came with the
    >> same configuration in partitioning. It boots fine off the single
    >> partition drive. Hell it went from booting Novell 3x, Windows 95,
    >> Windows Hydra and now DOS 6.22.
    >>
    >> This is the hard drive portion of the PC's bootstrap, browse over it so
    >> u understand how and why things are the way they are. it is possible
    >> something is wrong with your mobo also.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INT_13
    >>

    > well
    >
    > to test that theory I put a drive in the machine from a Compaq that does
    > have the diagnostic partition
    > and it hung at the same place
    >
    > the OS never even started to load...so so much for that theory

    Let's explore the mobo problem now :) Or leave it as is and use it as is.
    If you flash a BIOS image you stand a chance of losing the entire board.
    I've done it. I had to swap BIOS chips (then socketed) while the PC was
    running and flash a totally corrupted BIOS.

    I do remember however a bootstrap utility on certain Compaq computers
    that did serve as the int13 and gave you a boot menu at each boot.
    Problem is there were so many different configurations its hard to steer
    you in the right direction.

    Meat Plow, Aug 2, 2010
  4. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:32:03 -0500, philo wrote:

    > No big deal I am going to put the board in the recycle bin
    >
    > I did find the bios version though 786K1
    >

    > thus far I cannot find a bios for it anyway
    >
    > it looks like the Machine was a Compaq Presario

    Well yeah that was their retail entry back in the 90's when they
    dominated the server market. They were so popular because they built a
    decent computer for under a grand. They used AMD and Cyrix to keep down
    the costs and drove their competitors (IBM, Packard Bell) out of this
    market. I have a couple Presario desktops in the basement. These are not
    towers but the kind you sat your monitor on top of. I forget what
    hardware is inside but likely pentium-class. And I'm sure they still
    work.

    Meat Plow, Aug 3, 2010