Re: Okay Fan Boys (Mac v PC) try this one

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bystander, Feb 2, 2010.

  1. Bystander

    Bystander Guest

    In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > In article <4b6611c1$>,
    > Collector_NZ <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=868

    > well I got 100%, no googling or other cheats.

    Yeah, me too -- although I had to use the "give 'em the answer they
    want, not the answer that's actually correct" technique a couple of
    times.

    F'rinstance, if you really must, AutoCAD can be run on a Mac with a
    virtualised Windows environment such as Parallels.

    And the eMate computer should really be classed as "neither", since it
    didn't run any version of the Mac or PC operating system -- it was a
    Newton with a built-in keyboard. I knew a journalist who swore by hers
    -- it ran for a week on a handful of AA batteries. If it only had a USB
    port (instead of serial) I'd be scouring TradeMe for one.

    I used a PowerDock Duo for a week or two in the mid '90s -- like other
    computers of its period it was pathetically feeble by today's standards,
    and like many Macs produced when Jobs was not part of Apple it was
    disgracefully ugly. On the other hand, the removable laptop was really
    small and light for its day, and it was handy for taking work home.

    A friend in Japan sent me a Pippin controller for a laugh -- it
    connected via ADB and therefore would be useless today, even if I could
    remember where I put it. Come to think of it, it was pretty useless in
    1995, too.

    Also, the quiz insists on spelling 'Mac' as 'MAC', as if it were an
    acronym for something. Which it's not.
    --
    Bystander

    Bystander, Feb 2, 2010

  2. Bystander

    Bystander Guest

    In article <4b69e5a7$>,
    Collector_NZ <> wrote:

    > Bystander wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > whoisthis <> wrote:

    > >> well I got 100%, no googling or other cheats.

    > > Yeah, me too -- although I had to use the "give 'em the answer they
    > > want, not the answer that's actually correct" technique a couple of
    > > times.
    > >
    > > F'rinstance, if you really must, AutoCAD can be run on a Mac with a
    > > virtualised Windows environment such as Parallels.
    > >
    > > And the eMate computer should really be classed as "neither", since it
    > > didn't run any version of the Mac or PC operating system -- it was a
    > > Newton with a built-in keyboard. I knew a journalist who swore by hers
    > > -- it ran for a week on a handful of AA batteries. If it only had a USB
    > > port (instead of serial) I'd be scouring TradeMe for one.
    > >
    > > I used a PowerDock Duo for a week or two in the mid '90s -- like other
    > > computers of its period it was pathetically feeble by today's standards,
    > > and like many Macs produced when Jobs was not part of Apple it was
    > > disgracefully ugly. On the other hand, the removable laptop was really
    > > small and light for its day, and it was handy for taking work home.
    > >
    > > A friend in Japan sent me a Pippin controller for a laugh -- it
    > > connected via ADB and therefore would be useless today, even if I could
    > > remember where I put it. Come to think of it, it was pretty useless in
    > > 1995, too.
    > >
    > > Also, the quiz insists on spelling 'Mac' as 'MAC', as if it were an
    > > acronym for something. Which it's not.

    > I knew i would get a fan boy here just had to happen, take it for what
    > it is a laugh and a bit of fun

    Fan "boy"? I'm 59 fuckin' years old, fer ****'s sake!

    Ya twat.
    --