Re: OK so vista is annoying....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by d, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. d

    d Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like a
    > dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    > mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    Hello Thingy !

    For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default when
    vista's installed.

    Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
    minutes to go through the drive.

    This will increase performance considerably.

    This may be the reason vista is unpopular.

    hth

    d, Oct 3, 2008

  2. d

    Gordon Guest

    "d" <> wrote in message
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
    >> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    >> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    > Hello Thingy !
    >
    > For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    > when vista's installed.

    But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    indexing it STOPS!

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2008

  3. d

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >> when vista's installed.

    >But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    >indexing it STOPS!

    Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
    still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
    weeks later. YMMV.

    +Bob+, Oct 3, 2008
  4. d

    Gordon Guest

    "+Bob+" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >>> when vista's installed.

    >>But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    >>indexing it STOPS!

    > Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
    > still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
    > weeks later. YMMV.

    Well I have Indexing on, but I have NO such service or process as
    searchindexer.exe running or in existence. Are you sure you don't have a
    third-party search app installed?

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2008
  5. d

    DDW Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:44:43 -0500, "Warren DesJardins"
    <> wrote:

    >"d" <> wrote in message
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
    >>> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    >>> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    >> Hello Thingy !
    >>
    >> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >> when vista's installed.
    >>
    >> Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
    >> minutes to go through the drive.

    >Right clicking on my hard drive C: doesn't give any option to deselect it.

    Right click on the drive (if you have more than one, do it on all of
    them), choose Properties.

    Look for the option at the bottom.

    To make SURE you've rid yourself of the problem...

    Go to Control Panel (Classic view) | Administrative tools | Services

    Scroll down to Windows Search.

    Change Startup Type to DISABLED.

    Then STOP the service.

    DDW