Re: OK so vista is annoying....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by d, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. d

    d Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message

    > For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like a
    > dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    > mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    Hello Thingy !

    For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default when
    vista's installed.

    Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
    minutes to go through the drive.

    This will increase performance considerably.

    This may be the reason vista is unpopular.

    hth

    d, Oct 3, 2008

  2. d

    Gordon Guest

    "d" <> wrote in message
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
    >> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    >> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    > Hello Thingy !
    >
    > For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    > when vista's installed.

    But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    indexing it STOPS!

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2008

  3. d

    +Bob+ Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    <> wrote:

    >> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >> when vista's installed.

    >But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    >indexing it STOPS!

    Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
    still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
    weeks later. YMMV.

    +Bob+, Oct 3, 2008
  4. d

    Gordon Guest

    "+Bob+" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:03:52 +0100, "Gordon"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >>> when vista's installed.

    >>But it only indexes when the machine is idle, and when it's finished
    >>indexing it STOPS!

    > Not in my experience. I shut off all indexing on the C: drive, yet I
    > still found searchindexer.exe running and thrashing the hard drive
    > weeks later. YMMV.

    Well I have Indexing on, but I have NO such service or process as
    searchindexer.exe running or in existence. Are you sure you don't have a
    third-party search app installed?

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2008
  5. d

    DDW Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 23:44:43 -0500, "Warren DesJardins"
    <> wrote:

    >"d" <> wrote in message
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> For some reason the disk is being constantly accessed...its running like
    >>> a dog because of this...got 4Gb of ram so cant be swapping...not unless
    >>> mouse clicking now needs 4GB+ with vista...

    >> Hello Thingy !
    >>
    >> For some reason the indexing service on the hard drive is on by default
    >> when vista's installed.
    >>
    >> Right-click on your hard drive and de-select it, it will take a couple of
    >> minutes to go through the drive.

    >Right clicking on my hard drive C: doesn't give any option to deselect it.

    Right click on the drive (if you have more than one, do it on all of
    them), choose Properties.

    Look for the option at the bottom.

    To make SURE you've rid yourself of the problem...

    Go to Control Panel (Classic view) | Administrative tools | Services

    Scroll down to Windows Search.

    Change Startup Type to DISABLED.

    Then STOP the service.

    DDW
    No email please

    DDW, Oct 4, 2008
  6. d

    tom Guest

    "dollymix" <> wrote in message

    > I quite like Vista and its relatively new so give it a chance.
    > It does need a decent machine with decent RAM to perform properly tho.
    > :eek:
    >

    > --
    > dollymix
    > dollymix's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=34
    > View this thread: http://nettechguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2238329

    I've had vista for 3 months which is more than enough time to know it's a
    POS and has no reason to exist other than to increase microsoft's revenues.

    tom, Oct 8, 2008
  7. d

    Guest

    dollymix <> wrote:

    >I quite like Vista and its relatively new so give it a chance.
    >It does need a decent machine with decent RAM to perform properly tho.

    Only took two one sentence to explain one reason vista is being
    shunned
    - More money. DRM is mine.
    --

    http://www.nosedigg.com/2008/10/top-five-bizarre-accidents.html

    , Oct 9, 2008
  8. d

    Guest

    Paul Montgumdrop <> wrote:

    >> I've had vista for 3 months which is more than enough time to know it's
    >> a POS and has no reason to exist other than to increase microsoft's
    >> revenues.

    >What are you going to say when Windows 7 comes out with a lot of the
    >features that Vista has under the hood that you know nothing about?

    At that time DirectX10 should be cracked for linux (games), From XP I
    will go elsewhere.
    --

    http://www.nosedigg.com/2008/10/top-five-bizarre-accidents.html

    , Oct 9, 2008
  9. d

    Guest

    , Oct 9, 2008
  10. d

    Art Guest

    Paul Montgumdrop wrote:
    > tom wrote:
    >>
    >> "dollymix" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I quite like Vista and its relatively new so give it a chance.
    >>> It does need a decent machine with decent RAM to perform properly tho.
    >>> :eek:
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> dollymix
    >>> dollymix's Profile: http://nettechguide.com/forums/member.php?u=34
    >>> View this thread:
    >>> http://nettechguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2238329
    >>>

    >> I've had vista for 3 months which is more than enough time to know
    >> it's a POS and has no reason to exist other than to increase
    >> microsoft's revenues.

    > What are you going to say when Windows 7 comes out with a lot of the
    > features that Vista has under the hood that you know nothing about?

    I've been eying a Mac. Haven't made that decision yet but I certainly
    could go over to that side.

    --
    Art

    Art, Oct 9, 2008
  11. Art wrote:

    > I've been eying a Mac. Haven't made that decision yet but I certainly
    > could go over to that side.

    Keep your PC and go get a free operating system.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 10, 2008
  12. On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 19:21:24 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Art wrote:
    >
    >> I've been eying a Mac. Haven't made that decision yet but I certainly
    >> could go over to that side.

    > Keep your PC and go get a free operating system.

    I was reading the thread "Asus EEE 1000 40G", & not without a little
    amusement it has to be said. Seems the OP wants XP, not Linux. Why was I
    amused?

    Well an email sent out by Asus about its windoze version of the Eee, says
    that "the boxÿs 80GB hard drive has the recycled.exe virus files hidden
    in the driveÿs D: partition. When the drive is opened, the virus
    activates and attempts to infect the C: drive and an removable drives
    connected to the system. According to Symantec, the malware is likely to
    be the W32/Usbalex worm, which creates an autorun.inf file to trigger
    recycled.exe from D:. Separately, weÿve been testing the Eee Box this
    week, and discovered our review unit came loaded with the W32/Taterf worm
    - aka W32.Gammima.AG, aka kavo.exe malware that sniffs out online gaming
    usernames and passwords."

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2016&tag=nl.e589

    So with windows version, they get malware thrown in for free!

    All us Linux users get are free applications, like Gimp, OpenOffice, etc...

    William Poaster, Oct 10, 2008
  13. d

    M.L. Guest

    > I was reading the thread "Asus EEE 1000 40G", & not without a little
    > amusement it has to be said. Seems the OP wants XP, not Linux. Why was I
    > amused?
    >
    > Well an email sent out by Asus about its windoze version of the Eee, says
    > that "the boxÿs 80GB hard drive has the recycled.exe virus files hidden
    > in the driveÿs D: partition. When the drive is opened, the virus
    > activates and attempts to infect the C: drive and an removable drives
    > connected to the system. According to Symantec, the malware is likely to
    > be the W32/Usbalex worm, which creates an autorun.inf file to trigger
    > recycled.exe from D:. Separately, weÿve been testing the Eee Box this
    > week, and discovered our review unit came loaded with the W32/Taterf worm
    > - aka W32.Gammima.AG, aka kavo.exe malware that sniffs out online gaming
    > usernames and passwords."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2016&tag=nl.e589
    >
    > So with windows version, they get malware thrown in for free!

    I purchased a slightly used Acer 5520 Vista laptop (advertised as new, with
    80 GB hard drive) from the BestBuy online outlet store that apparently had
    malware installed in the recovery partition. Out of the box, my laptop
    exhibited anomalous behaviors even after scanning with multiple AV and
    malware scanners from various companies, Finally, in preparation for
    downgrading to XP, I deleted the recovery partition and merged it with the
    C: drive. My Vista laptop performed flawlessly after that and has done so
    since.

    M.L., Oct 10, 2008
  14. d

    Guest

    Paul Montgumdrop <> wrote:

    >>> What are you going to say when Windows 7 comes out with a lot of the
    >>> features that Vista has under the hood that you know nothing about?

    >> At that time DirectX10 should be cracked for linux (games), From XP I
    >> will go elsewhere.

    >You know what they say, right? Opinions are a dime a dozen,

    Wasn't an Opinion but an observation.
    --

    http://www.nosedigg.com/2008/10/top-five-bizarre-accidents.html

    , Oct 11, 2008
  15. d

    Art Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Art wrote:
    >
    >> I've been eying a Mac. Haven't made that decision yet but I certainly
    >> could go over to that side.

    > Keep your PC and go get a free operating system.

    I have a Redhat, a SCO, an AIX, a Win98, and 2 WinXP pro systems now.
    Next I'm going to try Ubuntu just because it won't cost much if
    anything. Probably put it on the Redhat box since I don't hardly use
    that one at all.

    --
    Art

    Art, Oct 11, 2008