Re: office 2007 64bit ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by AndreZ, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. AndreZ

    AndreZ Guest

    I posted this in the office forum.. but figured it'd make more sense to ask
    here..

    > Hey there,
    >
    > I'm going to be upgrading to a 64bit operating system and want to know if
    > office is available in 64bit .. I've called Microsofts pre-sales

    department

    AndreZ, Feb 6, 2008

  2. No. There is no need for Office to be 64bit. 32bit software runs natively
    on Windows 64bit operating systems so there is no need for the additional
    expense to MS of a 64bit version of Office 2007. Why do you feel there
    should be one?

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 6, 2008

  3. AndreZ

    John Adams Guest

    I'm using Office 2007 on Vista Ultimate x64 right now. I haven't had any
    problems.

    The only thing I know of that doesn't work in x64 is a special OneNote
    virtual printer.

    John Adams, Feb 7, 2008
  4. AndreZ

    Tom Lake Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote in message
    > No. There is no need for Office to be 64bit. 32bit software runs
    > natively on Windows 64bit operating systems so there is no need for the
    > additional expense to MS of a 64bit version of Office 2007. Why do you
    > feel there should be one?

    He might want spreadsheets or databases larger than can be handled by 32-bit
    Windows. I know my Access programs could use that shot in the arm.

    Tom Lake
    Tom Lake, Feb 7, 2008
  5. AndreZ

    S.SubZero Guest

    Poking around the web a while back I saw some references to MS kicking
    around the idea of a 64-bit Office but it never materialized. At this
    point it's not a huge issue. About the only app that could even begin
    to take advantage of it would be Access, and I don't think Access was
    really designed for that scale of database.

    Personally I think it would be cool, though ever since I switched to
    IMAP for my mail I don't use Outlook much, since it's IMAP support is
    not very good.
    S.SubZero, Feb 7, 2008
  6. There is, supposedly, a version of Excel that will run as a service in
    native 64-bit. But I haven't heard that it's shipping.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 7, 2008