Re: Odd graphics related ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Dec 21, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:

    > The machine apparently has some very odd global corruption
    > ... if I save a color photo from IrFanview it's also changed to B&W

    IV has a configuration feature.

    When you save such as a jpg or gif, it has a 'jpeg/gif save options'
    function which includes to save the file as grayscale instead of color.
    If you forget and leave that checked (the configuration function has the
    admonition 'please remember') then all of your IV .jpg/.gif saves will
    be b&w.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 21, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 06:48:43 -0600, philo wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> The machine apparently has some very odd global corruption ... if I
    >>> save a color photo from IrFanview it's also changed to B&W

    >> IV has a configuration feature.
    >>
    >> When you save such as a jpg or gif, it has a 'jpeg/gif save options'
    >> function which includes to save the file as grayscale instead of color.
    >> If you forget and leave that checked (the configuration function has
    >> the admonition 'please remember') then all of your IV .jpg/.gif saves
    >> will be b&w.
    >>

    > To all:
    >
    > thanks for the replies
    >
    > the settings in IrFanview are correct...the save options are *not* set
    > to B&W
    >
    > if I email a color photo using Gmail...for example it stays as color.
    > The problem is with Outlook Express
    >
    > However because Irfanview is set to save the images as color and they
    > are changed to B & W it appears to be some corruption within Windows
    > itself.
    >
    > deleting all .db files did not solve the problem
    >
    > nor did running chkdsk /f

    As I already told you, you'll need to format your hard drive to correct
    this. Do it now, or do it later. <shrug>

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he wiped the vomit from his chin.
    Dan C, Dec 21, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: Odd graphics related ? *(solved)

    philo wrote:

    B&W

    options'

    > the option to save as gray scale was *not* checked
    >
    > but in the dialog box it was ...and I had the dialog box turned off

    Ah, so. Thanks for the feedback. Making such a change *and* turning
    off the options dialog is not a good configuration.

    My options dialog is turned on (in the save as file manager).

    If I configure IV in the Options/ Properties section to open jpeg/gifs
    as grayscale (which has a warning to REMEMBER in caps), when I prepare
    to save as, the options dialog has the save as grayscale checked for me
    to see - which also has a warning in there.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Dec 21, 2009
  4. Re: Odd graphics related ? *(solved)

    philo wrote:

    > .. settings wrong in IrFanview
    > .. anything to do with IRfanview

    <pedant>
    The gentleman's name is Irfan Skiljan.
    The product is called IrfanView.
    </pedant>

    Happy Holidays! (and glad you found the abused checkbox...)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 21, 2009