Re: O/T: The Ultimate Sensor Makeover ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 23, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 22, 6:33 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote:
    > http://www.ffb.ca/research/research_news/xlinked_gene.html
    >
    > Anything achieved by Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc, pales in comparison ...  :)
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    If we kept DSLRs as long as we might have kept SLR's in the past, it
    might make sense. Something to rejuvenate the fading dies in the
    sensors. Has anyone ever recorded this phenomenon?
    RichA, Mar 23, 2012

  2. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/24/2012 1:40 AM, Rich wrote:
    > Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

    >>> :)

    >>> If we kept DSLRs as long as we might have kept SLR's in the past, it
    >>> might make sense. Something to rejuvenate the fading dies in the
    >>> sensors. Has anyone ever recorded this phenomenon?

    >> Whoosh!!!
    >>
    >> Did you actually read the article?
    >> Did you consider the implications of Dudley's condition?
    >>
    >> ...and what on earth are "fading dies"? I would have thought "DYES" was
    >> the word you were looking for in your misplaced response.
    >>

    > Well that was interesting, whatever I read wasn't that gene therapy
    > retintis pigmentosa article!! As for how long to get to humans, figure
    > on 10 years for FDA approval for testing, and approvals for general use.

    IIRC Health Canada is more efficient.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 24, 2012

  3. On 3/24/2012 2:48 AM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Rich"<> wrote in message
    >> Savageduck<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in

    >>> Whoosh!!!
    >>>
    >>> Did you actually read the article?
    >>> Did you consider the implications of Dudley's condition?
    >>>
    >>> ...and what on earth are "fading dies"? I would have thought "DYES" was
    >>> the word you were looking for in your misplaced response.
    >>>

    >> Well that was interesting, whatever I read wasn't that gene therapy
    >> retintis pigmentosa article!! As for how long to get to humans, figure
    >> on 10 years for FDA approval for testing, and approvals for general use.

    > Yep, I figure 10 to 15 years, allowing a bit of room for whatever unknowns
    > are yet, er, well, unknown ... :)
    >
    > Regardless, it's an exciting time for some of us ... :)
    >
    > In the mean time, though, I've got a lot of R&D to do...
    > I can't help but believe that whatever techniques I develop to help take
    > shots, sightless, will stand me in good stead should the light get turned
    > back on.

    Isn't the "dies" reference really to the colors in the Baeyer (or other)
    filter? I think possible bleaching of the colors is a serious topic for
    which it would be good to have information. Of course, tests could be
    done that would reproduce the use of the camera for many years.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Mar 24, 2012
  4. Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > On 2012-03-23 06:04:47 -0700, RichA <> said:

    >> On Mar 22, 6:33 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.ffb.ca/research/research_news/xlinked_gene.html

    >>> Anything achieved by Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc, pales in comparison ...

    >> If we kept DSLRs as long as we might have kept SLR's in the past, it
    >> might make sense. Something to rejuvenate the fading dies in the
    >> sensors. Has anyone ever recorded this phenomenon?

    > Whoosh!!!

    > Did you actually read the article?
    > Did you consider the implications of Dudley's condition?

    > ...and what on earth are "fading dies"? I would have thought "DYES" was
    > the word you were looking for in your misplaced response.

    He's talking about the die which makes the sensor. The dies in
    the camera (including the sensor) react to high bogosity levels
    and start fading --- first the circuits and then the silicon.
    And the bogoons are flying thick and fast ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Mar 26, 2012