Re: [O/T] No Wonder Kodak Went Broke ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Martin Brown, May 14, 2012.

  1. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 14/05/2012 16:49, Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > "Mxsmanic"<> wrote in message
    >> Dudley Hanks writes:
    >>
    >>> Perhaps, this has been posted before. If it has, I missed it...
    >>>
    >>> http://news.betanoodle.com/2012/05/13/kodak-had-a-secret-weapons/
    >>>
    >>> Kind of scary when you think about it ...

    >> Not if you know anything about nuclear physics.
    >>
    >> Enriched uranium is no more of a bomb than diesel fuel.

    Actually highly enriched research reactor fuel has gotten people who
    *should* have known better into very serious trouble. That was the cause
    of the fatal Japanese criticality incident at Tokai mura.

    http://www.wise-uranium.org/eftokc.html

    BTW ANFO has been the IRA cheap bulk explosive of choice for decades.
    Fuel oil is pretty much diesel by another name. And with the right
    dispersal technology a fuel air bomb can be devastating.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, May 14, 2012

  2. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 17/05/2012 08:46, C. Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 May 2012 03:09:23 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:
    >
    >> Eric Stevens writes:
    >>
    >>> Even more so, so has gas. LPG in particular.

    >> Yes, but LPG doesn't have nukular in the name.
    >>
    >> Did anyone else notice when they changed the name of nuclear magnetic
    >> resonance scanning to magnetic resonance imaging, in order to avoid
    >> scaring people with the word "nuclear"?

    > My wife recently had a nuclear imaging scan followed a couple of weeks
    > later by an mri scan. They are not the same. The first involved drinking
    > a lot of water and having an injection and a considerable wait. I read a
    > book in the waiting room so I didn't witness the procedure but was
    > informed by her of the nauseating bite,

    I think the problem here is in the USA that nuclear imaging is the name
    they have given to active diagnostic techniques involving radioisotopes
    like PET scans and other gamma ray based diagnostics.

    Nuclear magnetic resonance imaging has been shortened to MRI for ages to
    avoid frightening the children. It is based on nuclear spin in magnetic
    fields only and has nothing at all to do with radioactivity.

    UK has also hidden the word "Nuclear" on various major research lab
    signs around the country for ages leaving a gap of appropriate length.
    "Daresbury _______ Laboratory" for instance.
    They may have replaced that old sign by now.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, May 17, 2012