Re: NZ phone line impedance

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by max, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. max

    max Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

    > NZ transmission lines are 600 ohm. Phone lines are about the same

    errr .... no 600 0hm is the 4 wire impedance ....

    Isn't it 900 ohm at the 2 wire point .......

    What ever, if it anan't got the tick, you can't use it ...

    Max

    max, Jul 18, 2003

  2. max

    Ian Boag Guest

    Weeelllllll. Hmmmmm.

    I'm the founding owner of Dynalink. We went through quite a bit of
    drama at times matching line impedances and return losses to the NZ
    "standard" figure. Have to say though we never encountered any
    off-spec foreign modems that had trouble working ..... :)

    IB

    Ian Boag, Jul 20, 2003

  3. On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 04:59:44 +0000, Ian Boag wrote:

    > Weeelllllll. Hmmmmm.
    >
    > I'm the founding owner of Dynalink. We went through quite a bit of
    > drama at times matching line impedances and return losses to the NZ
    > "standard" figure. Have to say though we never encountered any
    > off-spec foreign modems that had trouble working ..... :)

    That was my point at the top of the thread. The phones and modems will
    work, just won't exactly comply with the Telepermit requirements.

    Being german, they already have a TUV and will have sufficient isolation vs
    bellcore gear (assuming there's any mains involved)..

    Sidetones may be a little off, but usually it doesn't matter.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 20, 2003