Re: nz.general,nz.comp

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    vitw wrote:

    > But the proposed NZ filtering will be even worse again. It will block
    > by IP address, ignorant of the fact that millions of websites are on
    > shared- IP hosts. This means that if a perfectly respectable website
    > lives on a shared host, where there just happens to be a porn site
    > under a different domain site, all websites at that host will be
    > blocked.
    >
    > To use an analogy - if you have a business with offices upstairs at a
    > Westfield shopping centre, and one of the shops downstairs sells
    > questionable products, then security guards will stop anyone coming
    > into the building. Your clients will not be allowed to visit your
    > office or even phone you.

    Foo. If you can't afford an IP address to yourself you shouldn't be on
    the Internet.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 17, 2009

  2. Enkidu

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > vitw wrote:
    > >
    > > But the proposed NZ filtering will be even worse again. It will block
    > > by IP address, ignorant of the fact that millions of websites are on
    > > shared- IP hosts. This means that if a perfectly respectable website
    > > lives on a shared host, where there just happens to be a porn site
    > > under a different domain site, all websites at that host will be
    > > blocked.
    > >
    > > To use an analogy - if you have a business with offices upstairs at a
    > > Westfield shopping centre, and one of the shops downstairs sells
    > > questionable products, then security guards will stop anyone coming
    > > into the building. Your clients will not be allowed to visit your
    > > office or even phone you.
    > >

    > Foo. If you can't afford an IP address to yourself you shouldn't be on
    > the Internet.

    Why are you here :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jul 17, 2009

  3. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> vitw wrote:
    >>> But the proposed NZ filtering will be even worse again. It will block
    >>> by IP address, ignorant of the fact that millions of websites are on
    >>> shared- IP hosts. This means that if a perfectly respectable website
    >>> lives on a shared host, where there just happens to be a porn site
    >>> under a different domain site, all websites at that host will be
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> To use an analogy - if you have a business with offices upstairs at a
    >>> Westfield shopping centre, and one of the shops downstairs sells
    >>> questionable products, then security guards will stop anyone coming
    >>> into the building. Your clients will not be allowed to visit your
    >>> office or even phone you.
    >>>

    >> Foo. If you can't afford an IP address to yourself you shouldn't be on
    >> the Internet.

    > Why are you here :)

    OK, I'm talking about websites and not mere access for which shared IP
    is fine. But my access IP (supposedly dynamic) hasn't changed in years.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 17, 2009