    > 44723 units

    Almost 45,000 WUs, too.

    Watta team! :)
    Steve, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Steve

    T.N.O Guest

    "Steve" wrote
    > Almost 45,000 WUs, too.
    >
    > Watta team! :)

    I should go over 1000 this weekend, very proud of my 'effort'
    T.N.O, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Steve

    T.N.O Guest

    T.N.O, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Steve

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:09:19 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >"Steve" wrote
    >> Almost 45,000 WUs, too.
    >>
    >> Watta team! :)

    >I should go over 1000 this weekend, very proud of my 'effort'

    I've just hit 500, maybe I'll catch up in 2010 :)
    Bret, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Steve

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:42:07 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:

    >"Bret" wrote
    >> >I should go over 1000 this weekend, very proud of my 'effort'

    >> I've just hit 500, maybe I'll catch up in 2010 :)

    >It may well do it sooner than that, you see I'm a little under the thumb, so
    >I pretty much do as I'm told, if she says the computer goes off, it usually
    >does. :)

    Yes I know the problem, I'v got two boxes running 24/7 (only one
    running seti, one e-smith) I'm always being asked why I need to leave
    them on all night.
    Bret, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Steve

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:52:32 +1200, Bret <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:42:07 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bret" wrote

    >>> I've just hit 500, maybe I'll catch up in 2010 :)

    >>It may well do it sooner than that, you see I'm a little under the thumb, so
    >>I pretty much do as I'm told, if she says the computer goes off, it usually
    >>does. :)
    >>

    >Yes I know the problem, I'v got two boxes running 24/7 (only one
    >running seti, one e-smith) I'm always being asked why I need to leave
    >them on all night.

    BTW The answer is "Linux Iso"
    Bret, Sep 5, 2003
  7. Steve

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Bret <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:42:07 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Bret" wrote

    > >> I've just hit 500, maybe I'll catch up in 2010 :)

    > >It may well do it sooner than that, you see I'm a little under the thumb, so
    > >I pretty much do as I'm told, if she says the computer goes off, it usually
    > >does. :)
    > >

    > Yes I know the problem, I'v got two boxes running 24/7 (only one
    > running seti, one e-smith) I'm always being asked why I need to leave
    > them on all night.

    Yeah, same here. We just received our power bill for the month and it
    rose by about 40-50%. Naturally, she blames 'your computers', rather
    than the fact that an extra person has just moved in. So my Seti
    crunching days are over for the meantime...cause she says so.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Steve

    steve Guest

    Bret allegedly said:

    > On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 08:42:07 +1200, "T.N.O" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Bret" wrote

    >>> I've just hit 500, maybe I'll catch up in 2010 :)

    >>It may well do it sooner than that, you see I'm a little under the thumb,
    >>so I pretty much do as I'm told, if she says the computer goes off, it
    >>usually does. :)
    >>

    > Yes I know the problem, I'v got two boxes running 24/7 (only one
    > running seti, one e-smith) I'm always being asked why I need to leave
    > them on all night.

    Because they last longer. Turning them off and on is bad for them.

    ;-)
    steve, Sep 6, 2003
  9. Steve

    steve Guest

    madknoxie allegedly said:

    > Yeah, same here. We just received our power bill for the month and it
    > rose by about 40-50%. Naturally, she blames 'your computers', rather
    > than the fact that an extra person has just moved in. So my Seti
    > crunching days are over for the meantime...cause she says so.

    I run 10 (ten) SETI systems 24/7 and it puts the power bill up by about $40
    / month.

    Just a couple of PCs would cost $8-$10 / month.

    But each minute in the shower (good pressure assumed) is worth about $1
    .....and a full, deep bath costs about $2.

    If your PCs have to go off, tell her you want a timer in the shower.
    steve, Sep 6, 2003
  10. On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:12:58 +1200, steve wrote:

    > But each minute in the shower (good pressure assumed) is worth about $1
    > ....and a full, deep bath costs about $2.

    Huh? My hot water bill was only ever about $15-20/month, no matter how
    much water got used.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 7, 2003
  11. Steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:12:58 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    > > But each minute in the shower (good pressure assumed) is worth about $1
    > > ....and a full, deep bath costs about $2.

    > Huh? My hot water bill was only ever about $15-20/month, no matter how
    > much water got used.

    Yeah but then you needed a lot of cold showers. :)
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2003
  12. Steve

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Uncle StoatWarbler allegedly said:
    >
    > > On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 15:12:58 +1200, steve wrote:
    > >
    > >> But each minute in the shower (good pressure assumed) is worth about $1
    > >> ....and a full, deep bath costs about $2.

    > > Huh? My hot water bill was only ever about $15-20/month, no matter how
    > > much water got used.

    > Physics rules.
    >
    > It takes a given amount of power to heat up a given unit of water.
    >
    > You use more water.....you consume more power.
    >
    > You're telling me if you have one bath a week or 7 it makes no difference

    > the power bill?
    >
    > I don't believe you.

    You're missing something in your arguement. You state: "You use more
    water.....you consume more power." Shouldn't that be: "You use more HOT

    ~misfit~, Sep 7, 2003
  13. On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:27:31 +1200, steve wrote:

    > It takes a given amount of power to heat up a given unit of water.
    >
    > You use more water.....you consume more power.

    In a storage system there are always heat losses.

    > You're telling me if you have one bath a week or 7 it makes no
    > difference to the power bill?

    I'm saying that as long as you don't continually run the hot water cold,
    there's little difference between a shower every day and not using the
    shower at all. Ditto on hot water usage on the washing machine.

    My stats come from being away for a month, while leaving the hot water
    switched on. There was about 5% difference on the water heating bill for
    that month

    The equation will change for on-demand systems, of course, but my current
    setup (small (20 litre) storage cylinder, 18kW gas burner) only costs
    $21/2 months over summer and about double that over winter (it's used for
    driving radiators too, pretty standard in this part of the world, if
    somewhat inefficient to my mind.)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 7, 2003