Re: NVidia Linux support

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:
    > After a ton of experimenting I got a sytem working to my liking

    What is the hardware?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> philo wrote:
    >>> After a ton of experimenting I got a sytem working to my liking

    >> What is the hardware?
    >>

    > My card is a geForce 8400gs.

    As an example of Ubuntu as a distribution, here are the nvidia cards
    recognized by Ub 8.04 (2008 April)

    http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.12/README/appendix-a.h
    tml Appendix A. Supported NVIDIA GPU Products -

    NVIDIA GPU product Device -- PCI ID
    GeForce 8400 GS -- 0x0422

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Moog Guest

    philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    > <snip>
    > What's really nice about Fedora Core is Yum

    It's come on leaps and bounds. However, yum is a still a very poor
    relation to apt and synaptic on Debian based distros.

    --
    So I was getting into my car, and this bloke says to me "Can you give
    me a lift?" I said "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go
    Moog, Feb 27, 2009
  4. On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:35:11 +0000, Moog wrote:

    > philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >> <snip>
    >> What's really nice about Fedora Core is Yum

    > It's come on leaps and bounds. However, yum is a still a very poor
    > relation to apt and synaptic on Debian based distros.

    Yes, I much prefer apt or synaptic. When I moved from SuSE a few years ago,
    I found them *very* easy to use.
    William Poaster, Feb 28, 2009
  5. Mike Easter

    Moog Guest

    philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:

    > "Moog" <> wrote in message
    >> philo illuminated 24hoursupport.helpdesk by typing:
    >>> <snip>
    >>> What's really nice about Fedora Core is Yum

    >> It's come on leaps and bounds. However, yum is a still a very poor
    >> relation to apt and synaptic on Debian based distros.
    >>

    > Well, here is the deal...
    >
    > when I first started out with Linux I used MC (Midnight Commander)
    > for my cli manager.
    > For those who have not used Linux but are familiar with dos...it's like
    > "dosshell"
    >
    > With Fedora, I put it in as simple as yum mc
    >
    > Though I really liked Debian apt-get mc had no results.

    Eh? Works perfectly in both Ubuntu and Debian here!

    > sure I could have installed it manually...or searched for other repositories
    > but thus far "yum" has worked well for me

    You didn't need to.

    A simple
    # apt-get install mc
    would have done it.

    Oh. I see. You did "apt-get mc" You didn't tell apt what to do.
    First port of call would be
    man apt

    In fact, I'm surprised
    # yum mc
    did anything too.

    The correct syntax would be
    # yum install mc

    HTH.

    --
    I was reading this book today, The History Of Glue and I couldn't put
    it down.
    Moog, Feb 28, 2009
  6. philo wrote:

    > NVidia is quite good on writing Linux drivers...
    > and they even have a script for compling a new kernel.

    "It's not compiling a kernel, just preparing the headers" as DKMS tells.
    Actually does a
    - make mrpoper (clean),
    - make oldconfig (to fetch current .config from /proc/config.gz or /boot)
    - make prepare (to generate headers)
    - make mrproper once more

    Of course, it needs a configured kernel-source or -devel package.

    Still with Mandriva (@home and also @w0rkplace)
    wisdomkiller & pain, Feb 28, 2009
  7. Mike Easter

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:08:04 -0600, philo wrote:

    > What's really nice about Fedora Core is Yum

    And urpmi in Mandriva and apt-get in Ubuntu.

    > Whatever I've needed was as simple as just entering Yum wine
    >
    > for example
    >
    > and within a few minutes wine was installed

    A few minutes? that's slow. :)

    urpmi wine in Mdv and apt-get wine work just as well.

    Aardvark, Feb 28, 2009