Re: Nvidia is going to cut prices....maybe wait a week or two for that new graphics card....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    > Plus the <$1000 PC....now this almost seems to be considered a "budget
    > PC" but hell anything with a dual 8800GT graphics card setup cant be
    > considered basic to my mind....
    >
    > Price drops forecast,
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ati-nvidia-geforce,5818.html
    >
    > Overclocking a "cheap" dual core PC,
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/System-Builder-Marathon,review-31034.html

    Interesting that they use a Seagate 500MB 7200.*10* rather than the
    (superior) 7200.11s we've been getting here for a while. The 10s have 16Mb
    cache, the 11s have 32MB. Also Seagate claim the 11s use "second-generation
    perpendicular recording technology". It made me double-check the date of the
    article.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Jul 7, 8:47 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    >
    > > Plus the <$1000 PC....now this almost seems to be considered a "budget
    > > PC"  but hell anything with a dual 8800GT graphics card setup cant be
    > > considered basic to my mind....

    > > Price drops forecast,

    > >http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ati-nvidia-geforce,5818.html

    > > Overclocking a "cheap" dual core PC,

    > >http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/System-Builder-Marathon,review-31034.html

    > Interesting that they use a Seagate 500MB 7200.*10* rather than the
    > (superior) 7200.11s we've been getting here for a while. The 10s have 16Mb
    > cache, the 11s have 32MB. Also Seagate claim the 11s use "second-generation
    > perpendicular recording technology". It made me double-check the date of the
    > article.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    What do the 10's use? I hope perpendicular works out okay long term,
    it's what i've switched to. My backup drives are still old school
    though.

    Craig Shore, Jul 7, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Craig Shore" typed:
    > On Jul 7, 8:47 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
    >>
    >>> Plus the <$1000 PC....now this almost seems to be considered a
    >>> "budget PC" but hell anything with a dual 8800GT graphics card
    >>> setup cant be considered basic to my mind....

    >>> Price drops forecast,

    >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ati-nvidia-geforce,5818.html

    >>> Overclocking a "cheap" dual core PC,

    >>> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/System-Builder-Marathon,review-31034.html

    >> Interesting that they use a Seagate 500MB 7200.*10* rather than the
    >> (superior) 7200.11s we've been getting here for a while. The 10s
    >> have 16Mb cache, the 11s have 32MB. Also Seagate claim the 11s use
    >> "second-generation perpendicular recording technology". It made me
    >> double-check the date of the article.

    > What do the 10's use? I hope perpendicular works out okay long term,
    > it's what i've switched to. My backup drives are still old school
    > though.

    The 10s use perpendicular too, just that they were the 'first generation'.

    I think perp tech has proven itself, it's been around for a while now (the
    10s were the first to market). Most manufacturers are using it, I can't see
    why it would fail long-term. It's the same tech as older drives, just stood
    on it's head. ;-)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.