Re: Numbers and more numbers...

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Linda, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Linda

    Linda Guest

    On 02/12/05, Dave Hardenbrook wrote:

    > There's one aspect of studying for A+ that I'm really struggling with,
    > namely dealing with questions like, "What is the FSB speed of a
    > Pentium II?" or "What is the I/O Address of the Primary IDE?" In other
    > words, NUMBERS questions!
    >
    > I've never been good at memorizing numbers -- It took until junior high
    > for me to learn the multiplication tables, and I never could remember
    > what year the Battle of Hastings was! So how am I supposed to memorize
    > all these Bus speeds, IRQs, DMAs, I/O addresses, etc., etc.?
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions? I would really like to manage
    > to get certified sometime this century.

    You have my sympathy, I'm doing the same here.
    Personally I make myself tables in Word/Excel or whatever you have (or even
    just draw it up on paper!) If you do it on the pc, you can easily add
    columns, once you've learnt one bit,it's slightly less daunting than whole
    pages of stuff, then try and learn a column or group at a time. Once I've
    half got it in memory, I write it out, shorthand on scraps of paper,
    anywhere, anytime I'm free (on the bus, waiting for kettle to boil) I also
    get my daughter to quiz me on it, it makes it more fun and at this stage,
    anything helps. Keep going over it whenever you can and it's surprising how
    much you can recall.
    Best of luck with your studying.

    Linda, Dec 2, 2005

  2. On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:49:33 +0000, Linda
    <> wrote:

    >On 02/12/05, Dave Hardenbrook wrote:
    >
    >> There's one aspect of studying for A+ that I'm really struggling with,
    >> namely dealing with questions like, "What is the FSB speed of a
    >> Pentium II?" or "What is the I/O Address of the Primary IDE?" In other
    >> words, NUMBERS questions!
    >>
    >> I've never been good at memorizing numbers -- It took until junior high
    >> for me to learn the multiplication tables, and I never could remember
    >> what year the Battle of Hastings was! So how am I supposed to memorize
    >> all these Bus speeds, IRQs, DMAs, I/O addresses, etc., etc.?
    >>
    >> Can anyone offer any advice/suggestions? I would really like to manage
    >> to get certified sometime this century.

    >You have my sympathy, I'm doing the same here.
    >Personally I make myself tables in Word/Excel or whatever you have (or even
    >just draw it up on paper!) If you do it on the pc, you can easily add
    >columns, once you've learnt one bit,it's slightly less daunting than whole
    >pages of stuff, then try and learn a column or group at a time. Once I've
    >half got it in memory, I write it out, shorthand on scraps of paper,
    >anywhere, anytime I'm free (on the bus, waiting for kettle to boil) I also
    >get my daughter to quiz me on it, it makes it more fun and at this stage,
    >anything helps. Keep going over it whenever you can and it's surprising how
    >much you can recall.
    >Best of luck with your studying.

    Yes...the actual act of physically writing it on paper with a pen or
    pencil while saying what you are writing may help.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Dec 3, 2005