Re: Novice question re hoax message

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by anna keynow, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. anna keynow

    anna keynow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:12:35 GMT, wrote:

    >On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:23:05 +1300, anna keynow
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:24:06 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>A friend sent me a copy of a message she recd about a virus,
    >>>namely jdbgmng.exe which would have the shape of a bear at the front.
    >>>She advised that I delete it. I have Windows XP and I found three
    >>>copies of this supposed virus and deleted them and from the recycle
    >>>bin as well. She has now told me she found out it was a hoax but it
    >>>is not serious and I can restore them from the original system disc.
    >>>Is this an easy thing to do? Hope you can help.
    >>>Diana

    >>Did you mean the jdbgmgr.exe hoax? The one with teddy bear icon?
    >>If so, it is an identical hoax (in everything but name) to the 2001
    >>sulfnbk.exe hoax.
    >>It went around about eighteen months ago, IIRC. Heaps of people
    >>panicing but, I wouldn't worry too much.
    >>Jdbgmgr.exe is the java debug registrar programme. You can live
    >>without it, unless you use java based programmes - e.g. chat applets
    >>but, if you do need java then you'll have to download microsofts
    >>virtual machine or sun virtual machine.
    >>Here's some info. for you.
    >>http://tinyurl.com/qtpp
    >>
    >>Next time one of your friends thinks they're providing you with
    >>helpful information, do a virus scan and if it comes back all clear
    >>then, do a search with a good search engine. You'll save yourself
    >>a lot of grief.
    >> -+Anna+-

    >Thank you very much Anna, it was the hoax you describe. Your
    >explanation was just what I needed.
    >Seems like I will not need to restore it because, as far as I know, I
    >would never use chat applets. I was just worried that, having deleted
    >THREE of these programmes, my computer might start to go wrong.
    >I was a bit suspicious when I recd my friend's email but I did what
    >she said and find that we are both as inexperienced as each other.
    >Diana

    Are you saying that it keeps re-appearing? That's cool if it does.
    You never know when you may need to use a java based prog.
    A lot of websites use java.
    Gamehippo uses java to display screenshots of the games it has
    available. That's just one example. You'll find java used on a lot
    of sites.
    Thanks for the kind words, Diana but, be aware that my knowledge is
    rather limited. I only know what I've learnt in the last couple of
    years, reading up about computers and groups like this one. I know
    what the hardware is but, have no first hand hardware experience, so
    to speak.
    I'm not spamming the group here but, my computer guy just wrote a book
    for us non-geeks. Hey Gerry, you should read it. <g> I just started
    reading it yesterday and I have to say, of all the computer books and
    magazines I've read, this one is
    very straight to the point, doesn't baffle with bullshit and is also
    very funny.
    "Computer Kung Fu for Beginners" by Dave Thompson.
    http://www.computerkungfu.com/main.htm
    -+Anna+-

    PS: You did the right thing to ask here about the e-mail but, next
    time, you may want to ask +before+ you do any deleting. You
    already know this now though, I suppose.
    anna keynow, Oct 15, 2003

  2. anna keynow

    Thor Guest

    > Are you saying that it keeps re-appearing? That's cool if it does.
    > You never know when you may need to use a java based prog.
    > A lot of websites use java.
    > Gamehippo uses java to display screenshots of the games it has
    > available. That's just one example. You'll find java used on a lot
    > of sites.
    > Thanks for the kind words, Diana but, be aware that my knowledge is
    > rather limited. I only know what I've learnt in the last couple of
    > years, reading up about computers and groups like this one. I know
    > what the hardware is but, have no first hand hardware experience, so
    > to speak.
    > I'm not spamming the group here but, my computer guy just wrote a book
    > for us non-geeks. Hey Gerry, you should read it. <g> I just started
    > reading it yesterday and I have to say, of all the computer books and
    > magazines I've read, this one is
    > very straight to the point, doesn't baffle with bullshit and is also
    > very funny.
    > "Computer Kung Fu for Beginners" by Dave Thompson.
    > http://www.computerkungfu.com/main.htm
    > -+Anna+-
    >
    > PS: You did the right thing to ask here about the e-mail but, next
    > time, you may want to ask +before+ you do any deleting. You
    > already know this now though, I suppose.

    I don't believe the Java Debug manager file is required just for Java
    applets to function. I doubt most people would miss it.
    Thor, Oct 15, 2003

  3. anna keynow

    Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:07:06 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >I don't believe the Java Debug manager file is required just for Java
    >applets to function. I doubt most people would miss it.

    Hello Thor, You won't remember but you have always given me good
    advice in the past. I was going to try and restore it but I won't
    bother now. Diana

    , Oct 15, 2003
  4. anna keynow

    anna keynow Guest

    fOn Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:07:06 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> Are you saying that it keeps re-appearing? That's cool if it does.
    >> You never know when you may need to use a java based prog.
    >> A lot of websites use java.
    >> Gamehippo uses java to display screenshots of the games it has
    >> available. That's just one example. You'll find java used on a lot
    >> of sites.
    >> Thanks for the kind words, Diana but, be aware that my knowledge is
    >> rather limited. I only know what I've learnt in the last couple of
    >> years, reading up about computers and groups like this one. I know
    >> what the hardware is but, have no first hand hardware experience, so
    >> to speak.
    >> I'm not spamming the group here but, my computer guy just wrote a book
    >> for us non-geeks. Hey Gerry, you should read it. <g> I just started
    >> reading it yesterday and I have to say, of all the computer books and
    >> magazines I've read, this one is
    >> very straight to the point, doesn't baffle with bullshit and is also
    >> very funny.
    >> "Computer Kung Fu for Beginners" by Dave Thompson.
    >> http://www.computerkungfu.com/main.htm
    >> -+Anna+-
    >>
    >> PS: You did the right thing to ask here about the e-mail but, next
    >> time, you may want to ask +before+ you do any deleting. You
    >> already know this now though, I suppose.

    >I don't believe the Java Debug manager file is required just for Java
    >applets to function. I doubt most people would miss it.

    Yup... I concur.
    I just know that you're feeling a lot more confident now that you see
    that -+Anna+- agrees with you, eh? Being so knowledgable, and all...
    <g>

    I deleted jdbgmgr.exe and checked out several java based apps, with
    no problems.
    Anyway, it only took 4 seconds for windows to replace it.
    -+Anna+-
    anna keynow, Oct 16, 2003
  5. anna keynow

    Guest

    ..

    >>I don't believe the Java Debug manager file is required just for Java
    >>applets to function. I doubt most people would miss it.
    >>

    >Yup... I concur.
    > I just know that you're feeling a lot more confident now that you see
    >that -+Anna+- agrees with you, eh? Being so knowledgable, and all...
    ><g>
    >
    >I deleted jdbgmgr.exe and checked out several java based apps, with
    >no problems.
    > Anyway, it only took 4 seconds for windows to replace it.
    > -+Anna+-

    Thank you too Anna. I will never act on emails like that in future
    without taking the actions you recommend. This group is the one where

    I get the help I need without criticism of my inexperience.
    Diana
    , Oct 17, 2003