Re: Notice to non-regular readers, re: Fred Dagg

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Malcolm, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 01:35:21 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > El Chippy wrote:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    > > Err, i dont actually recall seeing anything in the previous post
    > > that supports that statement. There are at least three sides in this
    > > arguement: "pro-MS", "pro-linux" & the "give it a rest" group.
    > > I think Shaun's statements put him firmly in the latter group along
    > > with the (mostly silent and rapidly declining?) majority of nz.comp
    > > readers.

    > Indeed, you have me pegged.
    >
    > > From what I recall Shaun hasn't yet used Linux, but is being
    > > open-minded about a future switch of OS due to the (possible) DRM
    > > implications of Vista (and other future MS OSes?).

    > Correct again. I keep downloading ISOs, the latest being Kubuntu 7.04
    > (Feisty Fawn?) DVD ISO last weekend.
    >
    > I will get around to installing one some time. I have a machine I
    > intend to try this on, I freed up 40GB or so with PartitionMagic,
    > then remembered that the DVD drive gave up the ghost a few months
    > back. Looking around I realised that I don't have a spare DVD drive,
    > only the Pioneer DVR-110D in this machine and I'm not about to take
    > that out. ;-)
    >
    > My biggest problem with the idea of Linux is Windows games. I only
    > play old-ish games (can't afford the new ones or the hardware to play
    > them on) but I'd miss them if I couldn't play now and then.
    >
    > Also, I don't learn as quickly as I used to. A combination of old age
    > and the benzodiazapienes that I take for anxiety problems/anti-spasm
    > medication seem to have robbed me of a bit of memory.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Obe-one says download the server version of 7.04 (or request the free
    cds), from there middle-aged Luke you can build you own system from the
    base up.... :)

    BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Malcolm

    Shane Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    You can also download DVD's
    http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
    (Both ftp and torrent)
    --
    Q: What is clear and used by trendy sophisticated engineers to solve other
    differential equations?

    Shane, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Malcolm

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 01:35:21 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    > > El Chippy wrote:
    > >

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > > Err, i dont actually recall seeing anything in the previous post
    > > > that supports that statement. There are at least three sides in
    > > > this arguement: "pro-MS", "pro-linux" & the "give it a rest"
    > > > group.
    > > > I think Shaun's statements put him firmly in the latter group
    > > > along with the (mostly silent and rapidly declining?) majority of
    > > > nz.comp readers.

    > > Indeed, you have me pegged.
    > >
    > > > From what I recall Shaun hasn't yet used Linux, but is being
    > > > open-minded about a future switch of OS due to the (possible) DRM
    > > > implications of Vista (and other future MS OSes?).

    > > Correct again. I keep downloading ISOs, the latest being Kubuntu
    > > 7.04 (Feisty Fawn?) DVD ISO last weekend.
    > >
    > > I will get around to installing one some time. I have a machine I
    > > intend to try this on, I freed up 40GB or so with PartitionMagic,
    > > then remembered that the DVD drive gave up the ghost a few months
    > > back. Looking around I realised that I don't have a spare DVD drive,
    > > only the Pioneer DVR-110D in this machine and I'm not about to take
    > > that out. ;-)
    > >
    > > My biggest problem with the idea of Linux is Windows games. I only
    > > play old-ish games (can't afford the new ones or the hardware to
    > > play them on) but I'd miss them if I couldn't play now and then.
    > >
    > > Also, I don't learn as quickly as I used to. A combination of old
    > > age and the benzodiazapienes that I take for anxiety
    > > problems/anti-spasm medication seem to have robbed me of a bit of
    > > memory.
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > Obe-one says download the server version of 7.04 (or request the free
    > cds), from there middle-aged Luke you can build you own system from
    > the base up.... :)

    LOL!! Build my system from the base up? Not sure I could do that Obi-won.

    > BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    Not so (I hope). I followed a link posted here about 12 days ago to a DVD
    ISO of Kubuntu 7.04. Also, apparently, (can no longer affrd it) NZ PC World
    has a DVD of Ubuntu 7.04 as it's cover disc this month.

    (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4AF94C8FD93F557FCC2572ED00105B16)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 3, 2007
  4. Malcolm

    sam Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Malcolm wrote:
    >> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 01:35:21 +1200
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> El Chippy wrote:
    >>>

    >>> <snip>

    >>> Indeed, you have me pegged.

    >>> Correct again. I keep downloading ISOs, the latest being Kubuntu
    >>> 7.04 (Feisty Fawn?) DVD ISO last weekend.
    >>>
    >>> I will get around to installing one some time. I have a machine I
    >>> intend to try this on, I freed up 40GB or so with PartitionMagic,
    >>> then remembered that the DVD drive gave up the ghost a few months
    >>> back. Looking around I realised that I don't have a spare DVD drive,
    >>> only the Pioneer DVR-110D in this machine and I'm not about to take
    >>> that out. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> My biggest problem with the idea of Linux is Windows games. I only
    >>> play old-ish games (can't afford the new ones or the hardware to
    >>> play them on) but I'd miss them if I couldn't play now and then.
    >>>
    >>> Also, I don't learn as quickly as I used to. A combination of old
    >>> age and the benzodiazapienes that I take for anxiety
    >>> problems/anti-spasm medication seem to have robbed me of a bit of
    >>> memory.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,

    >> Obe-one says download the server version of 7.04 (or request the free
    >> cds), from there middle-aged Luke you can build you own system from
    >> the base up.... :)

    > LOL!! Build my system from the base up? Not sure I could do that Obi-won.
    >
    >> BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    > Not so (I hope). I followed a link posted here about 12 days ago to a DVD
    > ISO of Kubuntu 7.04. Also, apparently, (can no longer affrd it) NZ PC World
    > has a DVD of Ubuntu 7.04 as it's cover disc this month.
    >
    > (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4AF94C8FD93F557FCC2572ED00105B16)
    >
    > Cheers,

    You might be better off installing from the CD and then using the
    package manager to download extras that you want rather than downloading
    a whole dvd which will date pretty fast

    sam, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:12:49 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    <snip>

    > LOL!! Build my system from the base up? Not sure I could do that
    > Obi-won.

    Relatively painless, once the server is installed;
    apt-get update
    apt-get install kde

    I'm sure there is config stuff to do after that...but not sure as I've
    never done it. When you get the urge give me a shout and will build up
    a vmware machine to test it out and get it running, then send you some
    instructions.

    probably around 150-200MB download....it does tell you so you could
    always cancel....

    > > BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    > Not so (I hope). I followed a link posted here about 12 days ago to a
    > DVD ISO of Kubuntu 7.04. Also, apparently, (can no longer affrd it)
    > NZ PC World has a DVD of Ubuntu 7.04 as it's cover disc this month.
    >
    > (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4AF94C8FD93F557FCC2572ED00105B16)
    >
    > Cheers,

    If you go the Ubuntu way, just order a set...they are free.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

    Malcolm, Jul 3, 2007
  6. Malcolm

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:12:49 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > > LOL!! Build my system from the base up? Not sure I could do that
    > > Obi-won.

    > Relatively painless, once the server is installed;
    > apt-get update
    > apt-get install kde
    >
    > I'm sure there is config stuff to do after that...but not sure as I've
    > never done it. When you get the urge give me a shout and will build up
    > a vmware machine to test it out and get it running, then send you some
    > instructions.
    >
    > probably around 150-200MB download....it does tell you so you could
    > always cancel....

    What would be the advantage of doing it this way compared to installing from
    the DVD I made from the 4.3GB ISO I downloaded? Took me about 30 hours to
    download. The server was the bottleneck, my connection tops out at 3.5M
    down. (With 128kbps up, making it a ridiculously *V*ADSL connection (or
    maybe an *E*ADSL) rather than an ADSL connection

    > > > BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    > > Not so (I hope). I followed a link posted here about 12 days ago to
    > > a DVD ISO of Kubuntu 7.04. Also, apparently, (can no longer affrd
    > > it) NZ PC World has a DVD of Ubuntu 7.04 as it's cover disc this
    > > month.
    > >
    > > (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4AF94C8FD93F557FCC2572ED00105B16)
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > If you go the Ubuntu way, just order a set...they are free.

    I think that my 7.04 DVD is good. I believe it doubles as a "live" DVD? I
    was going to try on my main machine (obviously without installing) but want
    confirmation of that first. Also I might use this as an excuse to get a DVD
    drive for the second machine rather than order the CDs. Have to check the
    finances later in the month. I see that DVD writers are only marginally
    dearer than DVD-ROMs. ($40 and $50 respectively from my preferred
    suppliers.)

    Cheers Malcolm,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2007
  7. Malcolm

    ~misfit~ Guest

    sam wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Malcolm wrote:

    > > > Obe-one says download the server version of 7.04 (or request the
    > > > free cds), from there middle-aged Luke you can build you own
    > > > system from the base up.... :)

    > > LOL!! Build my system from the base up? Not sure I could do that
    > > Obi-won.
    > > > BTW, ubuntu downloads are all cd's... ??

    > > Not so (I hope). I followed a link posted here about 12 days ago to
    > > a DVD ISO of Kubuntu 7.04. Also, apparently, (can no longer affrd
    > > it) NZ PC World has a DVD of Ubuntu 7.04 as it's cover disc this
    > > month.
    > > (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/4AF94C8FD93F557FCC2572ED00105B16)
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    > You might be better off installing from the CD and then using the
    > package manager to download extras that you want rather than
    > downloading a whole dvd which will date pretty fast

    Hmmm, well, I already downloaded the 4.3GB DVD ISO so that's moot. :)

    Thanks though, will bear in mind in future.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jul 4, 2007