Re: 'Nother XP problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, May 10, 2009.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 10 May 2009 01:16:35 -0400, Limpy
    <> wrote:

    >A friend decided to install XP on his vista box. He unplugged the data
    >wire from his second SATA HDD but left the power connected (IDK if
    >that's relevant) and installed XP.
    >Now his 2nd drive (after reconnected the data cord with the PC off)
    >shows as RAW when actually ALL his data from the C: dive is there.
    >
    >It shows up in computer management as healthy and working fine, and
    >shows up fine in the setup screen. It even shows up in Windows
    >Explorer, but when we click it it says it needs to be formatted.
    >
    >Is there a software or tweak to bring his stuff back?

    Your friend needs to stop tinkering with his machine.
    He should find out the proper procedure for installing any OS first.
    More than likely he now has one screwed up machine.

    First, wipe out vista entirely. Then install xp on a clean disk.
    It won't matter if the second drive is plugged in or not.

    This is what I have done when ever I changed the OS.
    Never had any problems with the second drive not being recognized.

    richard, May 10, 2009

  2. richard

    olfart Guest

    > <snip>
    > I should add that Windows categorizes the state of this drive as "raw"
    > and demands I reformat it. I don't want to do that.

    then try putting it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 2 hrs for well done
    or 1 hr for rare

    olfart, May 11, 2009