Re: Note to Caveat Lector

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JustJoe, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. JustJoe

    JustJoe Guest

    What I get from this is that you have never successfully built a computer
    and have only had training on outdated OS's. You obviously have no real
    world current experience in building or repairing computers. Your most
    recent answer on how to upgrade a bios clearly shows you are without a clue
    on what you are saying. Your answer was the most asinine, stupid, clueless
    answer I have ever read.
    Why do you post here pretending to know what you are doing?
    Do you really think you are helping people?
    Do you think regulars here that do know what they are doing have just
    singled you out for no reason to give a hard time to?
    I just checked and there is a newsgroup on cooking Mexican food. Now I like
    Mexican food and I know what is good and bad but I also realize I have no
    clue how to cook it so you know what, I do not post messages there
    pretending I do. Just because I like Mexican food I am not an expert in
    cooking it. If I posted to that group I would not be helping any one. I
    could though learn something from reading it.

    Joe

    " caveat lector" <> wrote in message
    > >From: "JustJoe"
    > >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    > >Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:03:40 -0500

    > > Could you post your qualifications (Credentials) for advising others

    on
    > >repairing computer problems.
    > >Have you had any official training? Have you
    > >ever built a computer?

    > Before the PC, I had SHARP handheld, that I had to program in BASIC. It

    used
    > two cassette tape recorders for backup.
    >
    > In 1989 I bought an AMIGA500. I had to replace the ROM chip for an

    upgrade. I
    > was relieved when that one booted up. I later upgraded the RAM to 1MB nad
    > installed a 52MB HDD. The AMIGA was to be used until I saw which direction
    > Apple and IBM/Windows market/support, would go in 5 years.
    >
    > In 1995, I bought a real PC. It was a 486 DX4, the HDD died after a year,
    > because I didn't shut down properly. IT ran DOS622 and Win311. I had

    Word6, so
    > I could work on a project for my employer.
    >
    > Next I build from scratch a PII MMX.
    >
    > I tried unsuccessfully to build a few PentiumII PCs, and through in the

    towel.
    > I don't know if was me, where I was building them or the parts I got from

    Fry's
    > Electronics, but it got too expensive.
    >
    > I bought a PIII, went through a few HDDs, modems, RAM upgrades, mobos, and
    > every OS up to Win 2000. I now have a laptop with XP, so I can refer to

    it for
    > learning experience.
    >
    > I thought I knew a lot about PC's, until I had a chance to go to a school,

    in
    > 2000. The first month was the core (Hardware, DOS, Win 311/95).
    > I did get the CompTIAA+ Certification.
    > The last 3-months were WinNT. Rumor had it that MS was discontinuing

    support of
    > NT in late 2000, and anyone from the class trying to get a job in the

    industry
    > was offered $9 an hour.
    > I looked for work elsewhwere, paying more.
    >
    > > I ask because some of your answers to questions are
    > >just completely off base. You are giving out bad advice in some cases and
    > >sending people on wild goose chases in others. A lot of your answers

    sound
    > >like flip card answers, the kind given by telephone support people that

    are
    > >clueless.
    > > This is a good newsgroup I have personally gained a wealth of
    > >information from reading post here. They are quite a few regulars to this
    > >group that are quite knowledgeable ( Thor, Wizard, Demonlag, and V W

    Wall )
    > >to name a few. You could learn from these people.
    > > I hate to post a personal post like this but it has got to the point

    it
    > >is ridiculous. You are not doing anyone asking for help any favors by
    > >dispensing unknowledgeable advice and you are making yourself look like

    an
    > >idiot to those who do know what they are doing.
    > > I am sorry but this had to be said. If you type less and read more

    you
    > >may just learn something.
    > >
    > >Joe

    > The concensus of the group is certifications don't matter. I am working

    on an
    > MCP cert, but first need to get some more experrience, make some mistakes,

    and
    > learn a lot more to feel confident enough to test.
    >
    > Thank you Joe, tell me what you are qualified to do.
    >
    > Any electical or electronics skills?
    >
    > Welding, metal working, wood working?
    >
    > Plumbing, hydraulics, pneumatics?
    >
    > Any manufacturing, production, electrical/mechanical assembly skills?
    >
    > Any technical or high-tech experience?
    >
    > Do you have any real world skills?
    >
    > I do, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I have 20 years in the
    > Navy, working on electical/instrument sytems on multiple aircraft. I've

    been on

    JustJoe, Oct 16, 2003

  2. >From: "JustJoe"
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:56 -0500

    >What I get from this is that you have never successfully built a computer
    >and have only had training on outdated OS's. You obviously have no real
    >world current experience in building or repairing computers. Your most
    >recent answer on how to upgrade a bios clearly shows you are without a clue
    >on what you are saying. Your answer was the most asinine, stupid, clueless
    >answer I have ever read.
    > Why do you post here pretending to know what you are doing?
    > Do you really think you are helping people?
    > Do you think regulars here that do know what they are doing have just
    >singled you out for no reason to give a hard time to?
    >I just checked and there is a newsgroup on cooking Mexican food. Now I like
    >Mexican food and I know what is good and bad but I also realize I have no
    >clue how to cook it so you know what, I do not post messages there
    >pretending I do. Just because I like Mexican food I am not an expert in
    >cooking it. If I posted to that group I would not be helping any one. I
    >could though learn something from reading it.
    >
    >Joe

    Reading the responses to the BIOS thread, I was not totally wrong. In fact I
    have two mobos in my home, with easily removeable BIOS chips. No they aren not
    ZIF or soldered, they just press in. If I suspected the chip to be a problem, I
    could write to the manufacturer, giving the mobo model number, request the BIOS
    chip kit and replace it. No, I have never done it, because it is cheaper to
    replace the mobo, but if I had a fleet of 50 PCs, all with the same mobo, and I
    had a mobo in the shop that was damaged, I would as a last resort pop out a
    BIOS chip, and try it. Have you ever been on a ship, 2,000 miles from land?
    You'll try anything.

    BTW -- I too love Mexican food, and I can cook some decent Mexican dishes. The
    things you learn being in Southern California.

    Improvise Adapt Overcome

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 16, 2003

  3. JustJoe

    Wizard Guest

    caveat lector - reader beware wrote:

    > Reading the responses to the BIOS thread, I was not totally wrong. In fact I
    > have two mobos in my home, with easily removeable BIOS chips. No they aren not
    > ZIF or soldered, they just press in. If I suspected the chip to be a problem, I
    > could write to the manufacturer, giving the mobo model number, request the BIOS
    > chip kit and replace it. No, I have never done it, because it is cheaper to
    > replace the mobo, but if I had a fleet of 50 PCs, all with the same mobo, and I
    > had a mobo in the shop that was damaged, I would as a last resort pop out a
    > BIOS chip, and try it. Have you ever been on a ship, 2,000 miles from land?
    > You'll try anything.

    Yes I have for many years as a real sailor (merchant Seaman) and it has
    taught me to use the spares and/or if you don't know what you are doing
    leave it to the more experienced.

    Wizard, Oct 16, 2003
  4. JustJoe

    Wizard, Oct 16, 2003
  5. JustJoe

    Night_Seer Guest

    caveat lector - reader beware wrote:
    >> From: "JustJoe"
    >> Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:56 -0500

    >> What I get from this is that you have never successfully built a
    >> computer and have only had training on outdated OS's. You obviously
    >> have no real world current experience in building or repairing
    >> computers. Your most recent answer on how to upgrade a bios clearly
    >> shows you are without a clue on what you are saying. Your answer was
    >> the most asinine, stupid, clueless answer I have ever read.
    >> Why do you post here pretending to know what you are doing?
    >> Do you really think you are helping people?
    >> Do you think regulars here that do know what they are doing have
    >> just singled you out for no reason to give a hard time to?
    >> I just checked and there is a newsgroup on cooking Mexican food. Now
    >> I like Mexican food and I know what is good and bad but I also
    >> realize I have no clue how to cook it so you know what, I do not
    >> post messages there pretending I do. Just because I like Mexican
    >> food I am not an expert in cooking it. If I posted to that group I
    >> would not be helping any one. I could though learn something from
    >> reading it.
    >>
    >> Joe

    > Reading the responses to the BIOS thread, I was not totally wrong.
    > In fact I have two mobos in my home, with easily removeable BIOS
    > chips. No they aren not ZIF or soldered, they just press in. If I
    > suspected the chip to be a problem, I could write to the
    > manufacturer, giving the mobo model number, request the BIOS chip kit
    > and replace it. No, I have never done it, because it is cheaper to
    > replace the mobo, but if I had a fleet of 50 PCs, all with the same
    > mobo, and I had a mobo in the shop that was damaged, I would as a
    > last resort pop out a BIOS chip, and try it. Have you ever been on a
    > ship, 2,000 miles from land? You'll try anything.

    What you said is that if you have ANY mobo lying around (not the EXACT
    SAME ONE) you can take the bios chip from that and put it in yours. That is
    totally wrong. Now you change and say if you have thousands of the SAME
    mobo lying around, you can change it, which is correct. Its all in google
    if you want to test me.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Oct 16, 2003
  6. JustJoe

    Trent© Guest

    On 16 Oct 2003 05:33:39 GMT, pAmNot ( caveat
    lector - reader beware) wrote:

    >Reading the responses to the BIOS thread, I was not totally wrong.

    Is that like being not totally pregnant? lol

    Wrong is wrong. There is no partially wrong.

    >In fact I
    >have two mobos in my home, with easily removeable BIOS chips. No they aren not
    >ZIF or soldered, they just press in. If I suspected the chip to be a problem, I
    >could write to the manufacturer, giving the mobo model number, request the BIOS
    >chip kit and replace it.

    Sorry...no. Mainboard manufacturers don't sell retail parts...one at
    a time.

    And they're not like automobile manufacturers. They don't keep an
    inventory of old parts for old mainboards.

    >No, I have never done it, because it is cheaper to
    >replace the mobo, but if I had a fleet of 50 PCs, all with the same mobo, and I
    >had a mobo in the shop that was damaged, I would as a last resort pop out a
    >BIOS chip, and try it. Have you ever been on a ship, 2,000 miles from land?
    >You'll try anything.

    We've heard stories!! lol

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

    Trent©, Oct 17, 2003