Re: not an authentic copy of windows

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    That doesn't sound like something Microsoft would say... you got a bug.

    Normally, "you are not running genuine Windows" appears on the desktop above
    the clock (Win7 Home Prem.). No tellin' when it will come on - usually when
    giving a public demo. When you perform a Windows update (since the last
    time), anything unusual?

    Did you run Malwarebytes yet?

    By chance do you have a restore point prior to all this? some people say
    restore points work.

    ---------------
    "bob" <> wrote:
    On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:26:11 -0400, bob <> wrote:

    >interesting problem. bought used computer on ebay. works great. when
    >it boots up it says it's windows 7 ultimate.
    >
    >i downloaded all the updates (huge number, almost 400 MB). Now i
    >periodically get a pop up message saying this is not an 'authentic'
    >copy of windows. it wants me to download (from microsoft) a file that
    >will check the authenticity and 'make repairs'.

    NOW i got the software warnng from the OS saying i need the key or it
    will shut down in 28 days. unfortunately the key on the bottom of the
    computer has been damaged and is hard to read...

    Kele, Mar 29, 2011