Re: not an authentic copy of windows

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by VanguardLH, Mar 26, 2011.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    bob wrote:

    > interesting problem. bought used computer on ebay. works great. when
    > it boots up it says it's windows 7 ultimate.
    >
    > i downloaded all the updates (huge number, almost 400 MB). Now i
    > periodically get a pop up message saying this is not an 'authentic'
    > copy of windows. it wants me to download (from microsoft) a file that
    > will check the authenticity and 'make repairs'.
    >
    > i'm skeptical. the computer is working fine now with no problems. and
    > i'm concerned that, if i download this 'repair' it will lock up the
    > operating system, thinking it's not a real copy of windows
    >
    > any comments? thanks much

    Well, did the eBay auction say Windows 7 was included? If so, did you
    get the COA with the computer to show you have a legit license for
    Windows 7? Is there a COA sheet you got or a COA sticker with the
    product key on the computer? Did the seller actually relinquish their
    license for Windows 7 or did they just leave a copy of it on the hard
    disk and is continuing to use it for their new computer?

    Got a link to the eBay auction so we can see what you thought you
    bought?

    VanguardLH, Mar 26, 2011

  2. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    bob wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >
    >> bob wrote:
    >>
    >>> interesting problem. bought used computer on ebay. works great. when
    >>> it boots up it says it's windows 7 ultimate.

    >> Well, did the eBay auction say Windows 7 was included? If so, did
    >> you get the COA with the computer to show you have a legit license
    >> for Windows 7?

    > found the key sticker on the bottom so it's probably good to go

    Just to be sure, did you get official installation media for Win7? If
    not, how are you going to reinstall Win7 should the hard disk fail or
    it becomes so infected or corrupted that you must do a fresh install?

    VanguardLH, Mar 26, 2011

  3. VanguardLH

    ceej Guest

    "Alex Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/27/2011 7:47 PM, bob wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:56:47 -0700, Alex Clayton<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> This has been going on for a little while with win.7. Been brought up a
    >>> few times on the windows 7 general group. As long as you let MS check
    >>> and they said it was ok, you are fine. If has happened a couple times to
    >>> this machine which I bought new. Both times the download fixed it. It is
    >>> something to do with the anti piracy stuff they do.

    >> my local computer store said MS sent an undercover shopper to his
    >> place and busted him for selling laptops w/o the system disks. they
    >> said they'd sue if he continued to do it
    >>
    >> and he's just a little shop in pennsburg, pa...

    > I think he may have left something out of that story. Many computers now
    > ship without a recovery disc. They normally have a partition on the drive
    > to recover the machine and they have instruction to allow you to make a
    > set of your own.
    >
    > --
    > "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
    > Moderation is for monks."
    >
    > [Lazarus Long]

    That may be true but what does it cost the supplier to provide it? 50c or
    30p!
    It's a load of todge aimed at ripping off the consumer and, making computers
    seem cheaper than they really are.
    In other words, a fuking disgrace.

    ceej, Mar 28, 2011
  4. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    ceej wrote:

    > Alex Clayton wrote:
    >
    >> I think he may have left something out of that story. Many computers
    >> now ship without a recovery disc. They normally have a partition on
    >> the drive to recover the machine and they have instruction to allow
    >> you to make a set of your own.

    > That may be true but what does it cost the supplier to provide it?
    > 50c or 30p! It's a load of todge aimed at ripping off the consumer
    > and, making computers seem cheaper than they really are. In other
    > words, a fuking disgrace.

    Because way too many users happen to lose or cannot find the recovery
    CD when needed. It just disappeared in their clutter, in a move, they
    tossed it without realizing what it was, or whatever excuse they come
    up with. The company can ship you a replacement (with shipping and
    handling charges) but I don't think they want to get into the CD
    publishing business. To reduce tech support headaches, the put the
    recovery image or setup software in a hidden partition so it's always
    with the computer no matter to where it may get moved.

    Also, since you're pooh-poohing the cost of a single CD then why the
    hell aren't users also willing to dole out its super cheap cost? The
    OEM'er gives instructions on how to produce a recovery CD. Users are
    just too fucking lazy to read the manual to notice those instructions.
    So the same whine you make about the OEM'ers not providing a recovery
    CD is the same whine about users that don't bother creating their own.

    Reminds of a funny joke where two fat women are in a bakery shop loading
    up on sweets. One says to the other, "I see you everytime I'm in here."
    Yeah, well as an insult it also applies against the insulter. If it's
    so cheap and easy for a computer maker to include a CD then the same is
    true for the user who only needs to provide the same cheap CD and run a
    command to write the recovery image to it. Duh!

    VanguardLH, Mar 28, 2011