Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Vic, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. Vic

    Vic Guest

    When I try and scan I can watch the task manager and get a flicker of a
    program opening but immediatly closes so I can't really tell you what it is.
    The Norton Antivirus window stays open but does not open the new scan
    window. And that is all that happens. No error message or crash. The event
    log doesn't show anything that deals with Norton and the system is operating
    normally in every other sense. Any Ideas?

    Vic

    "Gandalf" <> wrote in message
    > Vic wrote:
    > > I have a Windows XP Home with Service pack 2. Norton Antivirus 2005 that

    was
    > > install on 9-7. It ran fine until a couple of days ago I received an

    error
    > > message from Notron that said that it had an internal program error and

    that
    > > I needed to uninstall and reinstall to correct this problem. OK, so I

    tried
    > > to uninstalled using the Add / Remove Programs in the Control Panel and

    then
    > > said I needed to reboot the computer. Uninstalled seemed to work as it

    was
    > > gone from the Add / Remove programs. I tried to reinstall and the setup
    > > program stated that there was already a newer version of Norton

    AntiVirus
    > > installed and I would have to remove it before I could install this one.
    > > Well I read through the support from Symantec and bacically I ran the

    SymNRT
    > > program that there was some left over registry entries and that was what

    was
    > > causing my problem. OK, downloaded the program, ran it rebooted and then

    my
    > > Norton AntiVirus installed normally. It however did not ask for my

    product
    > > key code and it still used the renewal date of the 9-7 when I had first
    > > installed.

    > I run into that about once in every 15 installs.
    > It sucks, but it happens.
    >
    > > After all that now comes my current problem. It won't run a full system

    scan
    > > in normal mode. I can run a scan in Safe mode but not in Normal mode. I
    > > followed the instructions at symantec for performing a clean boot and

    there
    > > is absolutly nothing else loaded at the moment and it still will not

    scan. I
    > > have tried uninstalling and reinstalling again using the Add / Remove
    > > programs and my CD and still got the same result. I have no trouble

    running
    > > Live Update and it is as current as I can make it. My install of Windows

    is
    > > as current as I can make it as I ran the Windows Update to make sure.

    The
    > > auto protect seems to be working fine. I just can run a full system

    scan. I
    > > have used the Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06, Spybot
    > > Search and Destroy 1.4 and all found a couple but nothing to write home
    > > about. I ran a virus check from www.sarc.com and

    housecall.trendmicro.com
    > > and both came back negative. I have always used Norton AntiVirus I have
    > > never had any other Antivirus programs.
    > >
    > > I really am at a loss since none of the relevant articles that I can

    find

    Vic, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Vic

    originsnone Guest

    I just re-installed Windows XP with SP2 and this exact thing is
    happening to me also. NAVW32.exe opens then closes in normal mode.
    Quite frustrating. I am thinking of switching to McAfee since I really
    don't feel like re-installing again.

    originsnone, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Vic

    originsnone Guest