Re: No Wonder Kodak Went Broke ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Whisky-dave, May 25, 2012.

  1. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 25, 12:41 am, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Dudley Hanks writes:
    > > Most people go into debates with pre-existing conceptions ...  even yourself
    > > ...>

    > I engage people in debate when I know they are parroting opinions that they've
    > lazily adopted from others, instead of thinking for themselves. I force them
    > to think. Usually they don't like that, and often they aren't very good at it.

    It seems you're the one not thinkling for yourself.
    For instance how do you know no one died on three mile island ?
    Did you do a head count or did you lazily look at the report or news
    maybe even fox news
    to find out if anyone died.
    Regarding Fukushima have yuo actually been theri or are yuo opiniosn
    basewd on others reports ?
    Why don;t you gi9bve the dates and times you visited to enable you to
    gather your own opinions ?

    I admit I havent; been there so have to judge using others evidence,
    maybe you have a few pictures you took.

    Did you know that no one told the Olympic commity that there was once
    a nuclear reactor
    on the proposed site ? Do you think it just slipped someones mind ?

    > > Of course I've adopted my opinions from others.  To develop one for myself,
    > > I'd have to be working within that sector, which I'm not;  hence, I have no
    > > opportunity to do my own research.

    > No. It's not difficult to look up facts yourself,

    It's virtually impossible in a lot of cases.
    I have used a gieger counter, but havent; the equipment or time to
    check on 3 mile island or Fukushima and I doubt
    they''d let me take a few measurements, which is what I;'d have to do.
    Of course2 you know exactly teh situatiohn from yuor own judgements
    from someone that;'s probbalty
    never been to either place hasn;t been near a nuclear reactor, maybe
    you should work for Fox news.
    (Of course the only thing I know about Fox news is from other slagging
    it off)

    > and reason forwards from
    > those facts to conclusions you draw on your own. Of course, it does take a lot
    > more effort than letting someone else spoon-feed your opinions to you.

    How dod you get yuor information about 3 mile island and Fukushima ?
    Maybe the information was fed to you on a fork that's why you missed
    some vital bits.
    Whisky-dave, May 25, 2012

  2. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 25, 4:02 pm, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Whisky-dave writes:
    > > For instance how do you know no one died on three mile island ?

    > There is no record of any fatalities, officially or unofficially.

    Agreed.
    Theer's only one way to find out and that is from other people, unless
    yuo go there yourself.

    > > Did you do a head count or did you lazily look at the report or news
    > > maybe even fox news
    > > to find out if anyone died.

    > I looked at the head count.

    That you got from someone else you'd didn;t do your own count did you.

    > > Regarding Fukushima have yuo actually been theri or are yuo opiniosn
    > > basewd on others reports ?

    > I don't have much in the way of opinions about Fukushima. None of the data
    > I've seen supports any of the hysteria I've seen, however.

    Well you keep insisting you make up your own mind, but you only ever
    quote
    other people sources.

    > > Did you know that no one told the Olympic commity that there was once
    > > a nuclear reactor on the proposed site? Do you think it just slipped
    > > someones mind?

    > Probably.

    Really....

    > > I have used a gieger counter, but havent; the equipment or time to
    > > check on 3 mile island or Fukushima and I doubt
    > > they''d let me take a few measurements, which is what I;'d have to do.

    > What would taking measurements tell you?

    It would give me the level or radiation present at that place at that
    time.
    I''d them have to look up stats on what damaged that particualar level
    can cause.

    > > How dod you get yuor information about 3 mile island and Fukushima ?

    > I looked it up on the Web.

    So again from someone else, nothing wrong with that but saying your
    making up your own mind
    isn't what you are doing.

    > > Maybe the information was fed to you on a fork that's why you missed
    > > some vital bits.

    > Information and opinions are two different things.

    Opinions should be based on information and if you have the same
    informatiin as someone else
    then should your opinion be different, it doesn;t matter but is the
    opinion correct maybe it doesn;t matter to you,
    but in my opinion 3 mile island or Fukushima aren;t good holiday
    destinations and teh reasons I say that is my opinion
    based around teh presented facts. If those facts are wrong then my
    opionon may be wrong.
    Whisky-dave, May 28, 2012

  3. Whisky-dave

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On May 28, 4:22 pm, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > Whisky-dave writes:
    > > That you got from someone else you'd didn;t do your own count did you.

    > Objective facts like these are easy to verify. Subjective statements like
    > "this nuclear plant is terribly dangerous" are not.

    So as you say you take an 'objective' fact regurgitate it and claim it
    to be your opinion.
    Anyone can do that, most people do, it's hardly noteworthy.

    > > It would give me the level or radiation present at that place at that
    > > time. I''d them have to look up stats on what damaged that particualar level
    > > can cause.

    > In many cases you'd have a hard time measuring the radiation to begin with.

    So how can you judge such a thing or even have a valid opinion that
    you expect others
    to repect you for.

    > > So again from someone else, nothing wrong with that but saying your
    > > making up your own mind isn't what you are doing.

    > I can look up facts, which as I've said can be verified from multiple sources.

    But do you understand those 'facts'.

    > I don't bother looking up opinions, for the most part, because they are so
    > subjective. I look up the facts and then I form my own opinions.

    But you haven't, unless of course you can cite your objections
    for the location of the fuctashima reactor, any idiot today can say if
    shouldn't have
    been built where it was.

    > > Opinions should be based on information and if you have the same
    > > informatiin as someone else then should your opinion be different ...

    > Very few people base their opinions on information, unfortunately. Most people
    > adopt their opinions from someone else, without ever bothering to look at
    > facts.

    Which appears to be what you have done.

    > > but in my opinion 3 mile island or Fukushima aren;t good holiday
    > > destinations and teh reasons I say that is my opinion
    > > based around teh presented facts. If those facts are wrong then my
    > > opionon may be wrong.

    > I don't know of any power plant that would make a good holiday destination,
    > although some might make for an interesting visit.

    Depends on what sort of holiday, I know of a few peole that went to
    investigate
    the wild life that has grown up around Chernobyl disaster.
    If I were intrested in teh effects of radiation on mice, birds over
    time and how they
    mutant and survive I'd find that a good place to go.
    Whisky-dave, May 29, 2012