Re: No wireless?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Mar 13, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:11:46 -0000, Kenny wrote:

    >Brand new Toshiba Satellite Pro A300 laptop with Vista Business.
    >Wireless switch at front is on and LED lit but cannot connect wirelessly to

    Wouldn't worry about that bit, until the driver is setup, TCP/IP is
    installed. What the hardware says in the way of indicators and what the
    OS sees isn't alway the same :)

    >3Com modem/router. Hard wiring via ethernet cable it works but very slow in
    >comparison to XP PC's on same router.

    Sounds like 2 problems to fix.

    >Fn + F8 indicates both Wi-fi and Bluetooth are on.
    >Device Manager indicates a problem with Other Devices/Network Controller
    >saying there's no drivers.

    Delete the entry in device manager, sounds as though the h/w is enabled
    in the BIOS. You could check that just in case. After deleting the entry
    reboot and see if the installed driver redetects the h/w.

    You may have to remove the oter/network controller a 2nd time and
    uninstall ther driver before a reboot.

    >Network troubleshooting tells me there's no wireless adapter.

    Well that bit, won't let you enable the local area connection. So it's a
    h/w & driver issue

    >Updating drivers from Device Manager does nothing. Downloaded Vista drivers
    >from Toshiba gives the same result.

    The driver is listed as fixing this problem? Otherwise usually the
    presupplied CD/DVD driver should be tried first.

    >Very tempted to put it back in the box and send it back for refund, not
    >another Toshiba, but thought I'd give the groups a try first in case I'm
    >missing something obvious.

    You didn't mention wireless hardware model, give a url to tosh specs or
    driver info in case anybody may have searched / read / seen something
    you missed.

    Me
    why?, Mar 13, 2009

  2. why?

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:13:08 +0000, Kenny wrote:

    > Only minor problem now is how to read newsgroups in Outlook, OE doesn't
    > seem to be installed on it and Outlook is only a trial version

    Use a real newsreader. Only an ignorant wanker would want to use
    Outhouse (or Outhouse Excuse) for newsgroups. Don't be a loser.

    Dan C, Mar 13, 2009

  3. why?

    Andy Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > Only minor problem now is how to read newsgroups in Outlook, OE doesn't seem
    > to be installed on it and Outlook is only a trial version

    There's *numerous* better newsreaders freely available than the utter
    shit Microsoft provides, so that shouldn't really be an issue.

    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766
    Join the Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org/
    Andy, Mar 14, 2009
  4. why?

    doS Guest

    Outlook doesn offer newgroups reads,in vista you need windows mail which is
    a renamed outlook express

    doS, Mar 15, 2009