Re: No Wireless or LAN Connectivity on Dlink DI-524 Router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve Hawkins, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. A novice, but one who has had to do a lot of fiddling with an overheating
    DLink (won't let me in to configure unless I put it in the freezer
    first...), but suggest your ISP may be expecting your brother's pc mac
    number. You will be able to use the wire connection if you turn off the
    cable modem first: unplug your brother, and plug in yourself. The router
    normally acts as the mac number the ISP is expecting, then it shares out its
    own IP addresses to all the machines you want to connect to it, fooling the
    ISP that there is only one person connected. (as I understand it!) So if
    for any reason you are bypassing the router or some of its functions only
    the first machine to connect is recognised by the isp.

    You may find it starts to work properly if you tell the router to clone the
    mac number to all attached devices, and it probably won't hurt to make sure
    your brother has his pc set to obtain its ip addresses automatically too.

    Seems to be quite a confusing number of ways these things can be
    misconfigured!

    Good luck...

    Steve_H

    Steve Hawkins, Dec 28, 2006