Re: no sound when play DVD...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Jun 4, 2012.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > ...All audio channels seem to work: line in, mike in, wave, synth but CD
    > volume seems to be an orphan.
    > With an audio CD in the tray, it plays fine (media player pops up and it
    > plays - Wave volume controls that and NOT the DC volume control.
    > All sound files on HD work.
    > Pop a DVD in the tray, and get "While setting up DVD-Video playback, it
    > was found that * Audio will not be available during playback,because the
    > audio device and/or driver is not working." etc.
    >
    > Methinks the "*" may be a placeholder for a name of some-sort.
    >
    > Any clue as how to find / fix problem?
    > (reloading sound drivers does no good).

    That's not a "standard Windows error message"

    When you "Pop a DVD in the tray," WHAT program starts up ?
    Nero ?, WMP?, Cybervision ?

    Problem only this one DVD ? 'newer' DVD's ? older DVD's work OK ?
    All DVD's fail ?
    If PC has more than one way of playing DVD's:
    Go to My computer, right-click on DVD icon and
    "Open With" and choose a different program - same message

    Some players have Cybervision program to run DVD's.
    Start - programs , browse to app then open DVD - any luck ?

    - Bobb -, Jun 4, 2012

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > - Bobb - wrote:
    >> "Robert Baer"<> wrote in message
    >>> ...All audio channels seem to work: line in, mike in, wave, synth but CD
    >>> volume seems to be an orphan.
    >>> With an audio CD in the tray, it plays fine (media player pops up
    >>> and it
    >>> plays - Wave volume controls that and NOT the DC volume control.
    >>> All sound files on HD work.
    >>> Pop a DVD in the tray, and get "While setting up DVD-Video
    >>> playback, it
    >>> was found that * Audio will not be available during playback,because the
    >>> audio device and/or driver is not working." etc.
    >>>
    >>> Methinks the "*" may be a placeholder for a name of some-sort.
    >>>
    >>> Any clue as how to find / fix problem?
    >>> (reloading sound drivers does no good).

    >> That's not a "standard Windows error message"
    >>
    >> When you "Pop a DVD in the tray," WHAT program starts up ?
    >> Nero ?, WMP?, Cybervision ?

    > * NO program indicated. This damn error message window pops up saying
    > exactly what i quoted.
    >

    >> Problem only this one DVD ? 'newer' DVD's ? older DVD's work OK ?
    >> All DVD's fail ?

    > * Yes, ALL DVDs (that is to say, professional DVD disks intended to SHOW
    > something while producing SOUND.
    > All music disks (CDs the only ones i have) work fine.
    >
    >> If PC has more than one way of playing DVD's:
    >> Go to My computer, right-click on DVD icon and
    >> "Open With" and choose a different program - same message

    > * Started with no disk in tray, My Computer has NO "DVD icon".
    > So, put DVD in drive, closed tray and said NO to the message.
    > Now drive H has the name of the disk (Pun Smoke); right click and do
    > NOT have option to choose any program; useful options are "Play with VLC
    > media player", "Play", and "Open".
    > "Play" gets that message error box (said no again).
    > "Open" gets me Windoze explorer type listings.
    > "Play with VLC media player" looks like it _might_ work, but freezes;
    > had to go to task manager and terminate the program. So, i re-tried with
    > "Play" but answered "yes". Now the "Play with.." got me a "DVD player"
    > that the VERY dinky upper left icon indicates it is a Windoze program -
    > froze. Re-tried again 2-3 times and gave up as the VLC player came up.
    > The VLC player gives "menus" that look like the windows explorer menus
    >

    >> Some players have Cybervision program to run DVD's.
    >> Start - programs , browse to app then open DVD - any luck ?

    > * Same difference. Absolutely identical in (non) operation.
    > VLC, one at a time after "enabling" works.

    Any chance the content is protected in some way ?

    Some DVDs are designed to clog up computer playing, while
    still allowing playback in standalone DVD players (connected
    to a TV set).

    Another possibility, is you have some "virtual CD" software loaded,
    which is interfering with the physical DVD drive. The software
    sees two players, and tries to read the virtual CD drive.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 5, 2012

  3. - Bobb -

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Bobb wrote:
    >
    >> When you "Pop a DVD in the tray," WHAT program starts up ? Nero ?,
    >> WMP?, Cybervision ?

    > * NO program indicated. This damn error message window pops up saying
    > exactly what i quoted.

    If you don't know to what program a window belongs, you can use
    SysInternals' Process Explorer to find out. Click on its spider-web
    toolbar icon and then click on the window in question. Process
    Explorer will then highlight which process owns that window.

    VanguardLH, Jun 5, 2012
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >
    >> Bobb wrote:
    >>
    >>> When you "Pop a DVD in the tray," WHAT program starts up ? Nero ?,
    >>> WMP?, Cybervision ?

    >> * NO program indicated. This damn error message window pops up saying
    >> exactly what i quoted.

    If I can stop here for a second to review:
    For Windows, each file "ends" with a 'file extension' ( the letters after
    the period in the filename)

    filename.doc = Word document
    ..xls= Excel
    ..html = Internet Explorer
    filname.txt = Notepad etc

    If /when you try to open a file ( whether a DVD or cd or something you've
    downloaded ) Windows looks at the filetype and looks at its table : if it
    already knows the file type it does the default action and doesn't bother
    you, BUT IF the DVD player did not come installed with windows then Windows
    doesn't know what to do the these new files on the DVD so it is asking YOU.
    ( Computers are really stupid until TOLD what to do)

    SO, if YOU install a DVD player YOU can EITHER adapt software that you
    already have OR you need to install some software to make it work. THAT's
    why I asked where you got the DVD - without software Windows ONLY knows how
    to make it turn and you can listen to CD's - because THAT IS included with
    Windows, DVD software was not included if not bought that way from a store.

    Now that you know all of that, I did a Google search for your DVD model and
    its the first Google result - displays" Need software?" I clicked and here
    it is
    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/

    Download your version: install it, reboot and insert a DVD.

    - Bobb -, Jun 5, 2012
  5. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> * NO program indicated. This damn error message window pops up saying
    >>> exactly what i quoted.

    >> If you don't know to what program a window belongs, you can use
    >> SysInternals' Process Explorer to find out. Click on its spider-web
    >> toolbar icon and then click on the window in question. Process
    >> Explorer will then highlight which process owns that window.

    > What the heck is "SysInternals' Process Explorer" and where do i get it?

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 6, 2012
  6. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    <snipped>

    AS I typed yesterday:

    I did a Google search for your DVD model and its the first Google result -
    displays
    " Need software?" I clicked and here it is
    http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/

    Download the version to match your version on windows: install it, reboot
    and insert a DVD.

    - Bobb -, Jun 6, 2012
  7. - Bobb -

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bobb wrote:

    > AS I typed yesterday:
    >
    > I did a Google search for your DVD model and its the first Google
    > result - displays " Need software?" I clicked and here it is
    >
    > http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadsection/
    >
    > Download the version to match your version on windows: install it,
    > reboot and insert a DVD.

    That's just the Lightscribe functionality: to add titling on the disc.
    It does not provide drivers for the device (the interface between OS and
    device) nor does any of Lightscribe stuff include media players. If the
    drivers aren't loaded to provide the interface to the device, the
    Lightscribe programs won't work. Lightscribe is JUST for burning titles
    onto the coated side of the disc. If you never want to use a
    Lightscribe-capable optical drive to add titles to your discs then you
    do NOT need to install their software but the optical drive still
    remains functional for its other functions. I also have a Lightscribe
    optical drive. I've tried it and been disappointed with the faintness
    (reduced contrast) and lack of longevity of the titling (it fades) so I
    uninstall the Lightscribe software. That doesn't preclude my use of the
    optical drives to play movies, media files, or burn files onto discs.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightscribe

    Software to control the lasers to burn a title on a disc will not help
    with the playback of video/audio files. Not running the LSSrv.exe
    service (pretty tiny at 928 bytes) and not installing the Lightscribe
    *apps* only eliminates the ability to burn text onto the disc's coating.

    The OP has not yet identified what is the brand and model of his optical
    drive so I don't know on what you searched. "For ... the driver i used
    (since nothing matched) was for the Optiarc DVD RW AD-7191S." That does
    NOT state this is his optical drive. It says it is NOT his optical
    drive and that he used a driver for something ELSE for whatever he does
    have.

    The OP could crack open the case to look inside to see whose brand and
    model of optical drive he has. Sometimes the firmware signature
    provides sufficient information to find this out. Go into Device
    Manager to look at the optical drives listed under the DVD/CD-ROM
    Devices category. That might provide enough info to figure out whose
    make and model was discovered in the system.

    It is likely the generic optical device drivers already included in
    Windows are sufficient to support the device. For each of my optical
    drives (Lite-On and LG), just the Microsoft-provided drivers that came
    with Windows are sufficient to access all media on discs to play them
    and even for burning software (acquired separately) to burn files onto
    them.

    The problem isn't with accessing the optical drives. The OP has
    expressed no interest, so far, regarding the Lightscribe functionality
    of his unknown optical drive. As described by the OP, the problem is
    either with the audio device and its driver or software or with whatever
    player the OP is trying to use to play movies on the DVDs.

    VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2012
  8. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> What the heck is "SysInternals' Process Explorer" and where do i get it?

    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Typical M$ garbage; will not work as it is incomplete: "credui.dll"
    > not found.

    I think you mentioned using Win2K. This is from the above web page.

    "Runs on:

    * Client: Windows XP and higher (Including IA64).
    * Server: Windows Server 2003 and higher (Including IA64).
    "

    It's possible an older version would run on Win2K, if you
    could find one. For example, we could find a version from 2006
    and try that.

    http://wayback.archive.org/web/2006...ad.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessExplorer.zip

    OK, I downloaded a version from 2006 and it says in the .chm help:

    "Process Explorer does not require administrative privileges
    to run and works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
    Windows XP, Server 2003 and on the x64 version of 64-bit Windows XP
    and Windows Server 2003."

    So if you use the 2006 version, things will improve. Click this
    link, and the 1.5MB download has the 2006 version in it.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20061127212347/http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

    Good luck (and think positive),

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 6, 2012
  9. - Bobb -

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> What the heck is "SysInternals' Process Explorer" and where do i get it?

    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Typical M$ garbage; will not work as it is incomplete: "credui.dll"
    > not found.

    Since you never identified your version of Windows (until FINALLY after
    getting prodded in another subthread), the suggestion was valid because
    the program supports many versions of Windows. No one knew what you had
    because it was like pulling one's own tooth to find out what you had.

    Next to the download link at the page that Paul gave you are the minimum
    client requirements. Windows XP is the minimum version. No, it's not
    junk. What was "junk" was trying to recommend solutions for an UNKNOWN
    version of Windows. Since the product was designed to work on Windows
    XP as the minimum version, it relies on libraries to provide functions
    (aka methods) that are available in that minimal Windows version. The
    Credential Manager User Interface" wasn't available before Windows XP.
    There are system API calls, too, that weren't available before then.
    New version = new functionality.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287536
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281249/EN-US
    These mention Windows XP, so that's probably when credui.dll was first
    available. Even more explicit is:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa374789(v=vs.85).aspx
    which says "Windows 2000 is not supported."

    I don't know if earlier versions of Process Explorer supported older
    versions of Windows. That's the product that I recall that had the
    function to find out which process owns a visible window. It's current
    description does not mention supporting Windows 2000. It looks like you
    need a version of Process Explorer that is 12.0, or earlier; see
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer which states "(version 12.04
    requires credui.dll and so doesn't work on Windows 2000)".

    I found an old version 12 of Process Explorer that should run under
    Windows 2000. It's at:

    http://www.oldapps.com/process_explorer.php?old_processexp=6

    I can't guarantee that an old version of Process Explorer has the
    function to determine which process owns the selected window. There are
    other utilities that I've heard about that have this lookup function.
    One recommended to me about 4 years ago was SIW where you click on
    Running Processes and look for the name of the popup (its title - which
    assumes it has one but is NOT a requirement) in the Window Title column
    (http://www.gtopala.com/). The problem I had back then was that the
    window had no title and too many didn't have titles for me to know which
    untitled window belonged to which process. WinSpector was another
    utility I used awhile ago where I could drag its crosshair to the window
    to have it tell me who owned it. It's an old program no longer
    maintained by its developer but you can still get it from Softpedia at:

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/Winspector.shtm

    It might be old enough or not have dependencies on a minimal version of
    Windows (beyond your 2000 version) so that is may still be usable to
    you. I also remembering using Spy++ but, as I recall, it came with
    Visual Studio (I still have the old version 6, circa 1998) but I doubt
    you want to buy that behemoth just to get one of its utilities
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd460760.aspx).

    Since it is now known that you are using Windows 2000, a thought occurs
    to me: WHICH version of the audio driver did you install? Maybe you
    installed the latest version but that only supports Windows from some
    minimal version which is beyond Windows 2000. That means you have to
    find the Windows 2000-specific drivers for your audio device (sound card
    or onboard audio controller) and not necessarily the latest version of
    the driver.

    First focus on what is spewing the audio error message since it might be
    an application-specific problem rather than a hardware driver problem.

    VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2012
  10. - Bobb -

    VanguardLH Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> * NO program indicated. This damn error message window pops up saying
    >>> exactly what i quoted.

    >> If you don't know to what program a window belongs, you can use
    >> SysInternals' Process Explorer to find out. Click on its spider-web
    >> toolbar icon and then click on the window in question. Process
    >> Explorer will then highlight which process owns that window.

    > Like i asked, where is that program and how do i get it?

    You mean *after* I mentioned the program is when you asked where to find
    it (see timestamps of the posts). You didn't ask where to find the
    program until AFTER it was mentioned in my post. Then Paul told you
    where to find it.

    June 5:
    05:50 AM - I mention using Process Explorer.
    11:51 PM - You wonder where it is. Google would've told you.
    11:57 PM - Paul gives you the page link.
    June 6 - the NEXT DAY:
    01:52 PM - "Like I said" was yesterday and Paul already told you
    YESTERDAY! I didn't feel the need to duplicate his post.
    02:04 PM - 12 minutes later it was obvious you found the file since
    you then noted it won't run on your operating system -
    which no knew until you mentioned it in another subthread
    but 40 minutes after this one.

    VanguardLH, Jun 6, 2012
  11. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> Typical M$ garbage; will not work as it is incomplete: "credui.dll"
    >>> not found.
    >>>

    >> I think you mentioned using Win2K. This is from the above web page.
    >>
    >> "Runs on:
    >>
    >> * Client: Windows XP and higher (Including IA64).
    >> * Server: Windows Server 2003 and higher (Including IA64).
    >> "
    >>
    >> It's possible an older version would run on Win2K, if you
    >> could find one. For example, we could find a version from 2006
    >> and try that.
    >>
    >> http://wayback.archive.org/web/2006...ad.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessExplorer.zip
    >>

    >> OK, I downloaded a version from 2006 and it says in the .chm help:
    >>
    >> "Process Explorer does not require administrative privileges
    >> to run and works on Windows 9x/Me, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000,
    >> Windows XP, Server 2003 and on the x64 version of 64-bit Windows XP
    >> and Windows Server 2003."
    >>
    >> So if you use the 2006 version, things will improve. Click this
    >> link, and the 1.5MB download has the 2006 version in it.
    >>
    >> http://web.archive.org/web/20061127212347/http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
    >>

    >> Good luck (and think positive),
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Nope! Got the exact same error message.
    > Somebody there is a liar; that ZIP has a file called procexp.exe dated
    > 2/14/2012 which is at least a day newer than that advertized.
    > So, you may well be correct,but where the heck can one get that 2006
    > version?
    > Used the baby bird (Goo Gull) using "2006 procexp.exe" (no quotes) and
    > found corrupteddata.com as a reference and saw ver 10.06, discovered
    > that is to new, noodled around and essentially got nowhere.
    > I absolutely _HATE_ these verdammt sites with advertising and links to
    > everything EXCEPT what you asked for.
    > On occasion i have been able to discover the trick to get what i
    > wanted, but not this time.
    > So...the question stands: where the heck can one get that 2006 version?

    OK, to review, we're talking about this download.

    http://web.archive.org/web/20061127212347/http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

    Here is a picture, of that file downloaded, and running in a Win2K VM.
    ZIP file size is 1,539,243 bytes.

    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/1835/procexpwin2k.gif

    The file is then opened in 7ZIP, and the "modified" dates recorded in the
    7ZIP screen, all say "2006". That is in fact, a ZIP containing 2006 code.
    The procexp.exe file is dated "2006-08-16 15:39".

    Then, I transferred procexp.exe from that ZIP, over to the Windows 2000
    virtual machine. And the software starts and runs just fine.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 7, 2012
  12. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Robert Baer wrote:

    >>> Like i asked, where is that program and how do i get it?

    >> You mean *after* I mentioned the program is when you asked where to find
    >> it (see timestamps of the posts). You didn't ask where to find the
    >> program until AFTER it was mentioned in my post. Then Paul told you
    >> where to find it.
    >>
    >> June 5:
    >> 05:50 AM - I mention using Process Explorer.
    >> 11:51 PM - You wonder where it is. Google would've told you.

    > * Yes, but ALL references are for the WRONG version.
    >
    >> 11:57 PM - Paul gives you the page link.
    >> June 6 - the NEXT DAY:
    >> 01:52 PM - "Like I said" was yesterday and Paul already told you
    >> YESTERDAY! I didn't feel the need to duplicate his post.
    >> 02:04 PM - 12 minutes later it was obvious you found the file since
    >> you then noted it won't run on your operating system -
    >> which no knew until you mentioned it in another subthread
    >> but 40 minutes after this one.

    So where we are now is:

    Red herrings (these should make no difference that I can see):

    1) Win2K OS
    2) DVD on SATA cable

    Interesting data points:

    1) "dvdplay.exe" is running. This is available on several OSes, but
    can only actually play movie content, if an MPEG-2 CODEC is installed.
    If I try this program on my WinXP machine, it simply tells me no MPEG-2
    CODEC is installed. If you're not getting that message, you've managed
    to install an MPEG-2 video codec. There are undoubtedly several CODECs
    based on FFMPEG, which can performance that function.

    For example, the videohelp.com site mentions this package as an
    example of an FFMPEG based MPEG-2 decoder.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/deinterlace/files/DScaler 5 - Alpha MPEG Filters/

    While there are hardware based solutions (such as the Mason card eons ago),
    as well as things like the commercial Nvidia Purevideo Decoder, there are also
    CODECs you can download to do the same thing. But leaving it up to the user
    to install a CODEC, introduces an element of risk (as not all CODECs are
    quality designs).

    One other thing I learned from this exercise, is where that stupid
    flashing "CDROM icon" comes from, when I put a DVD into the tray of
    optical drive. The cursor changes to the CDROM icon, the same icon
    as the dvdplay.exe program uses. (Most all of my DVDs are data DVDs,
    not video.)

    So I can't reproduce what's happening so far, because I have no MPEG-2 CODEC
    to keep the dvdplay.exe program happy. And while I can get a list of
    the 189 CODECs GSpot thinks are installed on the computer, many of those
    have Nero branding, and I doubt if some program tried to use them,
    they would work. The entries exist, but I doubt Nero is turned on.
    The only Nero software I've got, is the stuff for burning CD/DVDs.
    I don't use any Nero video software.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 7, 2012
  13. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > So, later today i will get the MPEG-2 and other MPEG codecs and try
    > again.

    OK, I got mine going :)

    1) Installed a fresh copy of Win2K on a spare hard drive.
    2) Plugged in a DVD movie and noted "dvdplay" makes an error message
    about no MPEG-2 codec being available.
    3) Installed DSCALER 0.0.8 file, containing a video and an audio codec.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/deinterlace/files/DScaler 5 - Alpha MPEG Filters/

    Click the "0.0.8" number first.

    In the next dialog, click "DScaler5008.exe"

    693,528 bytes

    I'd already scanned that on virustotal.com yesterday, and it was clean.

    I ran the .exe file, and the installer installed the two codecs.
    I verified the CODECs were present, with GSpot and its ability to
    list the CODECs currently present on the system. And two new
    "DSCALER" entries appeared in the CODEC list.

    4) Plugged in a movie DVD and this time, "dvdplay" put up a
    window and a box with player controls in it. I selected a
    chapter in the movie, clicked the |> play icon, and the
    player started to play.

    When I tried the above experiment inside a virtual machine
    (my first try), it didn't work, because the emulation of a
    DVD drive sucked. And dvdplay insisted the "region" code of
    the movie was wrong (which is crap). Instead, the emulation of
    the optical drive, just isn't complete enough to play DVDs.
    That's why I had to start over, and make a "real world" install
    and test without any virtual machines. And the "real world"
    install started to work, once the DScaler CODEC was installed.

    The installation of Win2K was an ordeal and a half. It didn't
    go nearly as smoothly as expected. At least I didn't break
    anything.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 8, 2012