Re: No Operating System Found Error :(

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stevo, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Stevo

    Stevo Guest

    wyndchsyr wrote:
    > Ok....I've now managed to get the computer to recognize the HDD. Now
    > it's booting and telling me Operating System Not Found. *sigh* I've
    > got a Windows 98 Boot Disk.....and I've got the Windows 98 CDROM. How
    > can I get it to recognize the operating systems disk??

    First option...
    Make sure your system BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM and put the
    Windows CD before you reboot..

    or...
    If the install doesn't start from there, leave the CD in, put your boot
    diskette in and then reboot, making sure your BIOS is set to try A drive
    first, on bootup..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Stevo

    wyndchsyr Guest

    Stevo,
    I do appreciate the reply....I have tried booting from the
    CDROM.....even tried booting with the 3.5 diskette and CDROM support....then
    I got an error saying that the HDD wasn't a FAT32....got pass that....or so
    I thought....rebooted yet AGAIN with the CDROM support.....Windows began
    attempting setup....again gave me the "Not a FAT32".....rebooted yet one
    more time before I gave up in complete and utter frustration....and got the
    No Operating System Found....*sigh* So you see when I attempt to load the
    Windows Setup...I get the FAT32 Error......and then it goes to the No
    Operating System Found Error.....this has been a 2 day ordeal....and I'm
    almost at my wits end with my friend's computer...I'm hoping someone may
    have a solution....maybe a way to repartition the HDD.....if that be the
    case....the exact command would be greatly appreciated! :)

    wyndchsyr, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Stevo

    halfalifer Guest

    I think that your hard drive doesn't have a valid partition (or any
    partition).

    (Apologies if this isn't 100% accurate, I'm doing this from memory)

    Using a windows floppy boot disk, chuck it in, then start the computer, it
    should recognise the boot disk, once it has booted to a command prompt, type
    Fdisk, then select Y if it asks you, then choose 1 to create a primary dos
    partition then 1 again I think. It should then tell you to shutdown the
    computer, reboot and do as the previous posts have said.

    Basically that is how create create a partition.

    halfalifer, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Stevo

    Stevo Guest

    wyndchsyr wrote:
    > Stevo,
    > I do appreciate the reply....I have tried booting from the
    > CDROM.....even tried booting with the 3.5 diskette and CDROM
    > support....then I got an error saying that the HDD wasn't a
    > FAT32....got pass that....or so I thought....rebooted yet AGAIN with
    > the CDROM support.....Windows began attempting setup....again gave me
    > the "Not a FAT32".....rebooted yet one more time before I gave up in
    > complete and utter frustration....and got the No Operating System
    > Found....*sigh* So you see when I attempt to load the Windows
    > Setup...I get the FAT32 Error......and then it goes to the No
    > Operating System Found Error.....this has been a 2 day ordeal....and
    > I'm almost at my wits end with my friend's computer...I'm hoping
    > someone may have a solution....maybe a way to repartition the
    > HDD.....if that be the case....the exact command would be greatly
    > appreciated! :)

    <snip>

    OK, when you first installed the drive what did you do? Did you try to
    partition or format the drive? Did you use any 'overlay' programme or try to
    clone your existing hard drive?

    Where is the drive connected? As Master on the Primary IDE channel? Are you
    using an 80 wire cable? What are the drive Jumper settings? Any other drives
    in the system? Where is the CD Drive connected?

    If the drive was brand new and not yet partioned and formatted, you
    shouldn't be having any of this sort of trouble. As a last recourse, boot
    with the Windows Boot Disk, but without the CD in place. This should leave
    you at the A:\> prompt. From there, use FDISK to remove any existing
    partitions. Once you have done so, start again with booting from the CD or
    Boot Disk.

    Stevo, Jul 10, 2003