Re: No one wants Dimdows

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:

    > Linux-powered netbook becasue customers found it rather complicated and
    > simply went for the Windows XP version.

    Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.

    While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its Eees
    with Linux
    <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    aspir8or Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:15:15 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
    eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:

    > In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >> Linux-powered netbook becasue customers found it rather complicated and
    >> simply went for the Windows XP version.

    > Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.
    >
    > While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its
    > Eees with Linux
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.

    Are they still using a chopped version of Xandros? I was going to buy one,
    but funds ran out. Just waiting for prices to go down on Trademe.

    --
    Rob
    Spouse: 'What did you do today?' Computer Science Prof: 'I taught some
    aspir8or, Oct 24, 2008

  3. In message <gdr2n4$u5n$>, aspir8or wrote:

    > Are [Asus] still using a chopped version of Xandros?

    I'm not sure I'd describe it as "chopped". All they did was leave out the
    standard Xandros repository, but it's easy enough to add that back in.

    The main limitation, on the 701 model I have at least, is the small size
    (4GiB) of the SSD. That should be less of an issue on the 90x models.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-10-23, aspir8or <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:15:15 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
    > eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux-powered netbook becasue customers found it rather complicated and
    >>> simply went for the Windows XP version.

    >> Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.
    >>
    >> While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its
    >> Eees with Linux
    >> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.

    > Are they still using a chopped version of Xandros? I was going to buy one,
    > but funds ran out. Just waiting for prices to go down on Trademe.

    Ms Penguin here, we do not chop things. If it is good food it is swallows
    whole.

    Chopped version, really?!
    Gordon, Oct 24, 2008
  5. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >
    >> Linux-powered netbook becasue customers found it rather complicated and
    >> simply went for the Windows XP version.

    > Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.

    I would like to see if there is a VMware appliance version of the
    SuSE that was used. I really wanna see just what they did to it to
    make it unpopular. Really, the full desktop version of openSUSE is
    very fully featured, and would require significant slimming down to
    be useful on less-powerful hardware like the Apricot. The standard
    KDE or Gnome menu driven interface may also not work well with such
    a small res screen. I get the feeling that Apricot and MSI have tried
    to squeeze a power-users desktop OS onto a non-power-users netbook.

    > While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its Eees
    > with Linux
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 24, 2008
  6. In message <gdr0i3$lss$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its Eees
    > with Linux
    > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.

    Linux preinstalls make up 5.5% of all notebook sales in Germany:
    <http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:23:59 +0100, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, OZZY Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux-powered netbook becasue customers found it rather complicated and
    >>> simply went for the Windows XP version.

    >> Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.

    > I would like to see if there is a VMware appliance version of the
    > SuSE that was used. I really wanna see just what they did to it to
    > make it unpopular.
    >
    > Really, the full desktop version of openSUSE is
    > very fully featured, and would require significant slimming down to
    > be useful on less-powerful hardware like the Apricot.

    Good god, sureley you don't mean Apricot Computers? As in that 80's pc
    company?

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 24, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Will Spencer Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:31:02 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <gdr0i3$lss$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> While Asus, the dominant netbook maker, continues to sell 40% of its Eees
    >> with Linux
    >> <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2008/oct/08/linux.windows>.

    > Linux preinstalls make up 5.5% of all notebook sales in Germany:
    > <http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave>.

    As Reagan would say. There you go again.

    -ws
    Will Spencer, Oct 24, 2008
  9. Hi there,

    Will Spencer wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:23:59 +0100, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Interesting--SuSE Linux, the same distro that gave MSI such grief.

    >> I would like to see if there is a VMware appliance version of the
    >> SuSE that was used. I really wanna see just what they did to it to
    >> make it unpopular.
    >>
    >> Really, the full desktop version of openSUSE is
    >> very fully featured, and would require significant slimming down to
    >> be useful on less-powerful hardware like the Apricot.

    > Good god, sureley you don't mean Apricot Computers? As in that 80's pc
    > company?

    Apparently the brand was purchased from Mitsubishi by a UK
    consortium, and re-launched as a netbook manufacturer. The
    picobook has a 1.2GHz Via C7 as its CPU, an 8.9" 1024x600
    display "powered" by a Via Chrome9 GPU, 1GB RAM, and a 60GB
    disk. Not a bad spec I guess, but I doubt they did anything
    to SuSE to tailor it to the PC. I know I'd have trouble with
    standard openSUSE running such a small video resolution, as
    some of the UI's in my fave softwares fill a lot more screen
    real estate than 1024x600...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Edinburgh.
    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 24, 2008
  10. In message <4901aff8$>, Collector€NZ wrote:

    > So true, the linux type desktops are a big issue to deal with for users...

    Most users don't know or care--they just want to get work done. Put a Linux
    system in front of them, and provided it does what they need, they wouldn't
    even notice the difference. Combine this with the lower support burden for
    Linux systems, and you can see why it's worthwhile switching.

    <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1913>
    <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1919>
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 24, 2008