Re: No NEX 7 for a while...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 20, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 20, 9:35 am, Bowser <> wrote:
    > Sony has announced that due to the floods in Thailand production of some
    > models has been halted, and they will not make their scheduled November
    > deliveries of the NEX 7. No release date has been set. Apparently the
    > factory is fully submerged with no chance for recovery.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39632426
    >
    > Bummah.


    Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.
     
    RichA, Oct 20, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <> wrote:
    >On 10/20/2011 5:26 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> On Oct 20, 9:35 am, Bowser<> wrote:
    >>> Sony has announced that due to the floods in Thailand production of some
    >>> models has been halted, and they will not make their scheduled November
    >>> deliveries of the NEX 7. No release date has been set. Apparently the
    >>> factory is fully submerged with no chance for recovery.
    >>>
    >>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=39632426
    >>>
    >>> Bummah.

    >>
    >> Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.

    >
    >I saw some of the video from Thailand, and there's a user on DP Review
    >who has posted some shots (she's a resident). Just unreal.



    Unreal?

    The mighty USA never has *any* extreme weather events, does it. Nor
    does Japan. Nor does anywhere else, except Thailand. Unreal.
     
    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Bowser <oooo.mmmm.yyy> wrote:
    >Thanks for reading a ton of meaning into my message that didn't exist.



    At least we can agree that it had very little meaning.


    >I know we get hit, as well, but I was addressing the situation in
    >Thailand, nothing more, nothing less.



    It's important to get this in perspective. Human beings build nuclear
    power stations in areas that are at risk of earthquakes and tsunamis,
    large cities in areas that are at risk of major hurricanes, and
    housing and manufacturing facilities in plains that are at risk of
    major and prolonged flooding.

    In each case, risks are taken and extreme events come along, with
    consequences that the human beings claim are totally unexpected, and
    overwhelm us. It isn't just about Thailand.
     
    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011
    #3
  4. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.


    Gee they were fortunate it wasn't a product that was going to make them a
    lot of money anyway! :)

    Trevor.
     
    Trevor, Oct 22, 2011
    #4
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "Trevor" <> wrote:
    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.

    >
    >Gee they were fortunate it wasn't a product that was going to make them a
    >lot of money anyway! :)



    The number of advance orders for the NEX-7 completely contradicts that
    view. It will sell well. It will also be important from a marketing
    point of view, because every range of cameras needs a flagship model
    that people can aspire to, even if they will never own it.
     
    Bruce, Oct 22, 2011
    #5
  6. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >>>Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.

    >>
    >>Gee they were fortunate it wasn't a product that was going to make them a
    >>lot of money anyway! :)

    >
    >
    > The number of advance orders for the NEX-7 completely contradicts that
    > view. It will sell well.


    You must have missed the smiley, it was a joke!

    > It will also be important from a marketing
    > point of view, because every range of cameras needs a flagship model
    > that people can aspire to, even if they will never own it.


    Which sort of contradicts your claim it will sell well if most people will
    never own it. It's all relative however.

    Trevor.
     
    Trevor, Oct 23, 2011
    #6
  7. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    In article <4ea3c984$0$2442$>,
    says...
    >
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >>>Sony announced that the NEX-7 release is now postponed indefinitely.
    > >>
    > >>Gee they were fortunate it wasn't a product that was going to make them a
    > >>lot of money anyway! :)

    > >
    > >
    > > The number of advance orders for the NEX-7 completely contradicts that
    > > view. It will sell well.

    >
    > You must have missed the smiley, it was a joke!
    >
    > > It will also be important from a marketing
    > > point of view, because every range of cameras needs a flagship model
    > > that people can aspire to, even if they will never own it.

    >
    > Which sort of contradicts your claim it will sell well if most people will
    > never own it. It's all relative however.


    "Sell well" is a relative term. When IBM released their first mainframe
    they expected to sell 5 and sold 18. By your argument that means that
    it sold poorly. But by IBM's standards it was a howling success.
     
    J. Clarke, Oct 23, 2011
    #7
  8. RichA

    Trevor Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >> Which sort of contradicts your claim it will sell well if most people
    >> will
    >> never own it. It's all relative however.

    >
    > "Sell well" is a relative term.


    I think I just said that!

    >When IBM released their first mainframe
    > they expected to sell 5 and sold 18. By your argument that means that
    > it sold poorly. But by IBM's standards it was a howling success.


    Exactly, if Nikon can sell a few for the price IBM charged for those
    mainframes, their worries are over! :)

    Trevor.
     
    Trevor, Oct 24, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,236
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  2. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,192
  3. Bruce

    Re: Sony NEX sales, question

    Bruce, Jun 6, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    371
    Bruce
    Jun 7, 2010
  4. dj_nme

    Re: Sony NEX sales, question

    dj_nme, Jun 7, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    542
    Peter
    Jun 8, 2010
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    766
    John McWilliams
    Jun 13, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page