Re: No more Usenet thru AT&T

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The alan Post:
    > Just got a message from AT&T:
    > "Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
    > offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
    > reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
    > vendors."
    >
    > So --- I need recommendations for 3rd party vendors; binaries would be
    > nice, but I could do without them. The cheaper the better, of course . . .
    > Also, do these 3rd party vendors have to be accessed thru the web like
    > googlegroups? or can they be accessed thru Outlook Express, or Thunderbird?
    > Thanks for your recommendations and information.

    I pay my bill to AT&T but the service, to USENET is via
    sbcglobal.net. I haven't gotten the letter yet, what about me? <g>

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo, Jun 9, 2009

  2. OldGringo

    alan Guest

    "OldGringo" <> wrote in message
    >, In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    >Cents To The alan Post:
    >> Just got a message from AT&T:
    >> "Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
    >> offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
    >> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
    >> vendors."
    >>
    >> So --- I need recommendations for 3rd party vendors; binaries would be
    >> nice, but I could do without them. The cheaper the better, of course . .
    >> .
    >> Also, do these 3rd party vendors have to be accessed thru the web like
    >> googlegroups? or can they be accessed thru Outlook Express, or
    >> Thunderbird?
    >> Thanks for your recommendations and information.

    > I pay my bill to AT&T but the service, to USENET is via sbcglobal.net. I
    > haven't gotten the letter yet, what about me? <g>

    I also pay my bill to AT&T and get the Usenet via sbcglobal.net
    (news.sf.sbcglobal.net).
    I didn't get an actual letter, but the notice appeared in most of the
    newsgroups I've visited, although, oddly enough, no notice appeared in this
    group . . .
    Anyway, I suspect that your usenet service will end as well. I suspected as
    much a few months ago when, with no notice at all, they did away with access
    to the binary newsgroups. Figured it was just a matter of time . . .
    --
    alan

    alan, Jun 9, 2009

  3. OldGringo

    Old Gringo Guest

    On 6/8/2009 10:06 PM, alan Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out
    The Following:

    > "OldGringo" <> wrote in message
    >> , In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The alan Post:
    >>> Just got a message from AT&T:
    >>> "Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will no longer be
    >>> offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you wish to continue
    >>> reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through third-party
    >>> vendors."
    >>>
    >>> So --- I need recommendations for 3rd party vendors; binaries would be
    >>> nice, but I could do without them. The cheaper the better, of course
    >>> . . .
    >>> Also, do these 3rd party vendors have to be accessed thru the web like
    >>> googlegroups? or can they be accessed thru Outlook Express, or
    >>> Thunderbird?
    >>> Thanks for your recommendations and information.

    >> I pay my bill to AT&T but the service, to USENET is via sbcglobal.net.
    >> I haven't gotten the letter yet, what about me? <g>

    > I also pay my bill to AT&T and get the Usenet via sbcglobal.net
    > (news.sf.sbcglobal.net).
    > I didn't get an actual letter, but the notice appeared in most of the
    > newsgroups I've visited, although, oddly enough, no notice appeared in
    > this group . . .
    > Anyway, I suspect that your usenet service will end as well. I suspected
    > as much a few months ago when, with no notice at all, they did away with
    > access to the binary newsgroups. Figured it was just a matter of time . . .

    Thanks, I'll just wait and see.

    Old Gringo, Jun 9, 2009
  4. OldGringo

    bd Guest

    bd, Jun 9, 2009
  5. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The bd Post:
    > "Old Gringo"<> wrote in message
    >> On 6/8/2009 10:06 PM, alan Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out
    >> The Following:
    >>>
    >>> "OldGringo"<> wrote in message

    >>> I also pay my bill to AT&T and get the Usenet via sbcglobal.net
    >>> (news.sf.sbcglobal.net).
    >>> I didn't get an actual letter, but the notice appeared in most of the
    >>> newsgroups I've visited, although, oddly enough, no notice appeared in
    >>> this group . . .
    >>> Anyway, I suspect that your usenet service will end as well. I suspected
    >>> as much a few months ago when, with no notice at all, they did away with
    >>> access to the binary newsgroups. Figured it was just a matter of time . .
    >>> .

    >> Thanks, I'll just wait and see.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Old Gringo
    >> Just West Of Nowhere
    >> Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >> http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com/

    Don't know but I found out on another NG the AT&T shutdown is a Hoax.

    OldGringo, Jun 9, 2009
  6. OldGringo

    Mike Easter Guest

    alan wrote:

    > I also pay my bill to AT&T and get the Usenet via sbcglobal.net
    > (news.sf.sbcglobal.net).

    ATT has a lot of different names for their newsservers....

    news.xxx.sbcglobal.net where the xxx can be snet chi sf la dallas
    houston kc akron app cha cle col day det kal ind lan mil peo roc sgn spf
    tol ynt and also news.prodigy.net and newsgroups.bellsouth.net

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 9, 2009