Re: No more Linux security bragging: botnet discovery worry

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 1, 2009.

  1. ~BD~ wrote:

    > Quote:-
    >
    > "Bad guys have created a botnet of Linux Web servers. In a way, that's
    > even more frightening than regular botnets of compromised Windows
    > PCs. In IT Blogwatch, bloggers ask if this is the end for Linux's
    > claim to be more secure than Windows; or is it just a load of old
    > hokum?"
    >
    > http://blogs.computerworld.com/14723/no_more_linux_security_bragging_botnet_discovery_worry

    Further quoting:
    "All of the boxes examined so far have run the Apache webserver on
    various distributions of Linux."

    So ... is it a Linux failure? Or an Apache problem? Apples/oranges.

    Reading further from the More link, others are speculating that
    individual shared web host accounts were being hacked by intercepting
    FTP passwords. And that's not a Linux problem.

    [I snipped your test.here group, where your post if off-topic.]

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 1, 2009

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 18:25:18 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >~BD~ wrote:
    >
    >> Quote:-
    >>
    >> "Bad guys have created a botnet of Linux Web servers. In a way, that's
    >> even more frightening than regular botnets of compromised Windows
    >> PCs. In IT Blogwatch, bloggers ask if this is the end for Linux's
    >> claim to be more secure than Windows; or is it just a load of old
    >> hokum?"
    >>
    >> http://blogs.computerworld.com/14723/no_more_linux_security_bragging_botnet_discovery_worry

    >Further quoting:
    >"All of the boxes examined so far have run the Apache webserver on
    >various distributions of Linux."
    >
    >So ... is it a Linux failure? Or an Apache problem? Apples/oranges.
    >
    >Reading further from the More link, others are speculating that
    >individual shared web host accounts were being hacked by intercepting
    >FTP passwords. And that's not a Linux problem.
    >
    >[I snipped your test.here group, where your post if off-topic.]

    Your "s," Sir. <hands it to you>

    --
    Q. Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
    A. That depends on whether by `stamp out' you mean `eliminate'

    Mara, Oct 2, 2009