Re: No longer have animation

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 23, 2008.

  1. (cross-post added to 64bit General)
    "Jan :)" <> wrote in message
    > IE7, Vista Ultimate x64
    >
    > I am no longer able to get any animation when using the Weather sites on
    > this machine. Animation works fine on my other two machines with the IE7
    > with Vista x86.

    What about the case: 32-bit IE7 when run under x64? ; )

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 23, 2008

  2. Robert Aldwinckle

    Carlos Guest

    Robert,
    My guess is that Flash Player got uninstalled together with IE8.

    Download and install Flash Player 10 from here
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_install_activex_051508.exe
    Post back your results.
    IE7 32-bit should be "animated" again.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2008

  3. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    "Robert Aldwinckle" <> wrote in message
    > (cross-post added to 64bit General)
    > "Jan :)" <> wrote in message
    >> IE7, Vista Ultimate x64
    >>
    >> I am no longer able to get any animation when using the Weather sites on
    >> this machine. Animation works fine on my other two machines with the IE7
    >> with Vista x86.

    > What about the case: 32-bit IE7 when run under x64? ; )

    The map on the page page won't even render when I switch to the IE x64
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/driv...Warn_driving&zoom=8&interactiveMapLayer=radar

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  4. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Robert,
    > My guess is that Flash Player got uninstalled together with IE8.
    >
    > Download and install Flash Player 10 from here:
    > http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer10_install_activex_051508.exe
    > Post back your results.
    > IE7 32-bit should be "animated" again.

    Nope, that has been installed.

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  5. Well, I thought Carlos had a good point there - that failing, and me not
    being a Vista Genius, have you tried uninstalling IE7 - rebooting
    (coldboot!) and re-install?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 24, 2008
  6. Can he can uninstall IE7? It is the base IE in Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  7. Well, maybe not in reality, but in XP you can remove IE as one of the
    'Windows Components' - which will remove associations and (I think?) the
    *.EXE while leaving the *.DLL's which other system components rely on.

    Anyhow, re-activating it, should give you some certainty that everything is
    working right across the system.

    You are right though, I have no idea if this functionality still exist in
    Vista? It has been there for ages - and I think it is part of the Court
    settlement over the IE integration in the system, so I believe the option
    'should' be there. Perhaps the US Edition doesn't have it?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 24, 2008
  8. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    'She' wonders about that too. :)

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  9. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    > Well, I thought Carlos had a good point there - that failing, and me not
    > being a Vista Genius, have you tried uninstalling IE7 - rebooting
    > (coldboot!) and re-install?

    I can try it. I am am not keen to do a Vista repair if there is any way I
    can avoid it.

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  10. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    Nope...no luck. IE is not a component listed there.

    Thanks for the suggestions. :)

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  11. Try it in a virtual machine first.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  12. I think all you could remove from XP was IE6 SP1 but IE6 is core also. And
    then you have to remove the XP service packs before rolling back to the
    original IE.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  13. Robert Aldwinckle

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Tony.

    > Perhaps the US Edition doesn't have it?

    Right. As Microsoft told the court, IE is so tightly integrated into WinXP
    that it can't be removed. I had no idea that it was removable in non-US
    editions.

    WinXP includes IE6, which can be upgraded since IE7 arrived. Vista started
    with IE7, which is still included on every DVD. Many of us are now involved
    in the public beta of IE8, which can run on both WinXP and Vista, replacing
    IE6 or IE7, as appropriate. For more, see
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta.

    But IE6 can't be removed (by us mere mortals - in the US, at least) from
    WinXP or IE7 from Vista.

    And be nice to Jan. She's a Cherokee.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 24, 2008
  14. "Jan :)" <> wrote in message

    > "Robert Aldwinckle" <> wrote in message news:%...
    >> (cross-post added to 64bit General)
    >> "Jan :)" <> wrote in message
    >>> IE7, Vista Ultimate x64
    >>>
    >>> I am no longer able to get any animation when using the Weather sites on
    >>> this machine. Animation works fine on my other two machines with the IE7
    >>> with Vista x86.

    >> What about the case: 32-bit IE7 when run under x64? ; )

    > The map on the page page won't even render when I switch to the IE x64
    > http://www.weather.com/outlook/driv...Warn_driving&zoom=8&interactiveMapLayer=radar
    >
    > Jan :)

    Ok. Well, now that we know some other Vista x64 users are reading this
    perhaps you will find out at least how common this symptom is? <eg>

    Otherwise one way to try to get more clues about what is different
    in the two cases is to use ProcMon. E.g. open the above link as the first
    thing for a new iexplore.exe process to do. That way you will see the
    modules being loaded. If something is not being loaded in the bad case
    it might even be sufficient just to use the Process filter (e.g. ignore RegMon
    and FileMon aspects as hopefully extraneous noise.) Then, if that's not
    enough add in the FileMon type tracing. Etc. Note that by default ProcMon
    captures all the detail anyway, so you can always save the trace and reanalyse
    it later with different filters. Note too that when you have two supposedly
    nearly identical saved traces you can analyse them side-by-side.
    Unfortunately though you have to use your eyeballs instead of a diff program
    to do that because of all the other details such as timestamps, etc. which
    would make a programmed difference report impractical.

    Hmm... it would help if ProcMon didn't BSOD as often as it does but... ; )

    BTW it would probably help if you elaborated on your symptom.
    E.g. do you see the map? Does right-clicking on the map give the
    same menu? Etc.

    Also, have you checked on the Adobe forums for previous reports
    of the same symptom?

    Good luck

    Robert
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 24, 2008
  15. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    "R. C. White" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Tony.
    >
    >> Perhaps the US Edition doesn't have it?

    > Right. As Microsoft told the court, IE is so tightly integrated into
    > WinXP that it can't be removed. I had no idea that it was removable in
    > non-US editions.
    >
    > WinXP includes IE6, which can be upgraded since IE7 arrived. Vista
    > started with IE7, which is still included on every DVD. Many of us are
    > now involved in the public beta of IE8, which can run on both WinXP and
    > Vista, replacing IE6 or IE7, as appropriate. For more, see
    > microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta.
    >
    > But IE6 can't be removed (by us mere mortals - in the US, at least) from
    > WinXP or IE7 from Vista.

    I was curious about that too, as since XP IE has been a core part of the
    software and not uninstallable. As far as know that is the case with Vista
    as well. So, if it is uninstallable from XP or Vista in other than US
    versions, I am unaware of that capability. I was testing the IE8 beta on
    that machine, but, uninstalled it last Thursday to do some testing the needs
    a clean IE7, not just the Emulation. That is when I noticed that none of
    the map animations are now working.

    > And be nice to Jan. She's a Cherokee.

    Yeppers....they even let me off the Resevation now and then too. At least to
    attend the MVP Summits. :eek:))

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  16. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    I didn't think it would be there, but, figured I cover all the bases.

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  17. Robert Aldwinckle

    Jan :\) Guest

    Sorry...I don't follow the idea....try what in a virtual machine?

    Jan :)

    Jan :\), Jun 24, 2008
  18. The N editions ("no IE") don't have it but it can be installed. That
    installation can later be uninstalled. However, only a few thousand N
    editions apparently sold. The European Courts' great triumph fizzled. I
    beleive that the K editions (Korea) worked about the same. I think other
    than that whatever IE ships with a version of Windows is core.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  19. What you said above in response to Tony, "I can try it. I am am not keen to
    do a Vista repair if there is any way I
    can avoid it." So use VPC and install a copy of Vista in a virtual machine
    to experiment with. When you are done just delete the virtual machine.
    That's the way to try out stuff without it affecting your computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008
  20. Yeah, the core software never shows up in Add/Remove, including whatever
    version of IE or WMP shipped with the copy of the OS you are using.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 24, 2008