Re: No Kindle for New Zealand

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Simon, Oct 9, 2009.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    On Oct 8, 6:19 pm, vitw <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:42:21 +1300, ofn01 wrote:
    > > I wonder why Amazon is not allowing the Kindle to be sold in New
    > > Zealand?

    > **** the Kindle.
    >
    > Get an HTC Advantage and install some decent e-book programs like Adobe
    > Acrobat Reader, Mobipocket Reader and such.
    >
    > Cheaper, and you also get the advantage of WLAN, Bluetooth, cellphone and
    > the ability to install all the applications your heart desires, since the
    > HTC Advantage implements the Windows Mobile platform.

    I definately agree with what you've outlined above.

    BTW: I see the latest rumour is that Vodafone will be bringing the
    Kindle to NZ. Hopefully it's just that, a rumour!
    Simon, Oct 9, 2009

  2. On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 22:55:57 -0700 (PDT), Simon <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 8, 6:19 pm, vitw <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 11:42:21 +1300, ofn01 wrote:
    >> > I wonder why Amazon is not allowing the Kindle to be sold in New
    >> > Zealand?

    >> **** the Kindle.
    >>
    >> Get an HTC Advantage and install some decent e-book programs like Adobe
    >> Acrobat Reader, Mobipocket Reader and such.
    >>
    >> Cheaper, and you also get the advantage of WLAN, Bluetooth, cellphone and
    >> the ability to install all the applications your heart desires, since the
    >> HTC Advantage implements the Windows Mobile platform.

    >I definately agree with what you've outlined above.
    >
    >BTW: I see the latest rumour is that Vodafone will be bringing the
    >Kindle to NZ. Hopefully it's just that, a rumour!

    Yes, why would anyone buy something where you can just come along one
    day and find Amazon has cancelled your ownership of the ebook you were
    reading! They actually did that to people, when they got into a
    dispute about ownership rights. And due to the DRM they use, they can
    just do it to you and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Stephen Worthington, Oct 9, 2009

  3. Simon

    RonB Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > Yes, why would anyone buy something where you can just come along one
    > day and find Amazon has cancelled your ownership of the ebook you were
    > reading! They actually did that to people, when they got into a
    > dispute about ownership rights. And due to the DRM they use, they can
    > just do it to you and there is nothing you can do about it.

    Very poor decision. Up until then I was -- more or less -- an Amazon
    fan. (Though I never really saw much point in paying a fortune for a
    Kindle.)

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"