Re: no full frame cheap dslr on horizon.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charles Schuler, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. "Benjamin Librande" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > So with canon's new lens for its digital rebel does this mean that a
    > full frame affordable dslr is just not going to happen? The new lens
    > mount and lenses kind of suggest that the sensor is going to stay that
    > size (1.6x magnification) for a long time to come.
    >
    > Perhaps the future generations of the 10D will move toward full frame? I
    > think that's what I'm waiting for; something with a 1.0-1.3x

    magnification.

    This is an economics issue. Integrated circuits are batch processed on
    wafers. Smaller ICs produce a better price point because there are more of
    them on each wafer. Wafer sizes are getting to be quite large (12 inches,
    for example) so it might be reasonable to expect that 35 mm sensor ICs will
    become very affordable in the future. There are also issues like yield (the
    number of good ICs per wafer), noise, and sensitivity. This is an emerging
    technology and lots of interesting things are coming. The Foveon sensor, or
    something like it, might make a huge impact at some point.

    Charles Schuler, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Charles Schuler

    LlamaLarry Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    :::snip:::

    > This is an emerging
    > technology and lots of interesting things are coming. The Foveon sensor,

    or
    > something like it, might make a huge impact at some point.

    I am actually a little surprised to see so little traffic on the Foveon
    here. I am a long time film user, but have had my little Kodak DC290 for
    about 4 years. Hey, no laughing - at the time it was a pretty snazzy P&S
    plus at over $1000 when I bought her it was about all I could afford. :p

    Nowadays I am looking to go DSLR and headed toward the Canon 10D
    (abandoning all my Minolta gear thanks to their lack of DSLR :::sigh:::).

    So what's the scoop on Foveon? Why so light on the ranting and/or
    raving?

    --Larry

    LlamaLarry, Aug 26, 2003

  3. "LlamaLarry" <> writes:

    > So what's the scoop on Foveon? Why so light on the ranting and/or
    >raving?

    There has actually been lots posted. Search Google's archive of this
    group looking for "Foveon" in the article body and you should find many
    references.

    The short answer is that it still has promise, but hasn't obviously
    turned into a Bayer-sensor beater either. The only camera available
    that uses it is relatively low resolution compared to other SLRs, and
    has some other problems. So a really fair comparison with other sensors
    can't be made.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Aug 26, 2003