Re: No FIREFOX help Usenet Newsgroup ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ralph Fox, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 01:18:04 GMT, in message <>,
    Crash wrote:

    > I scanned all of giganews.com's Usenet Newsgroups for
    > "firefox" and found nothing. I was flabbergasted!
    > If I were a wagering man, I'd have lost a paycheck.
    >
    > I did *stumble* onto these two:
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser, alt.fan.mozilla
    > ...they both give good technical help.
    >

    > ...but I'm unsure they are the best NGs to get
    > Firefox help, since the product name is not mentioned,
    > and I guess "the best" one could be named anything,
    > and I wouldn't know it. Are there any others?

    As others have replied, use the newsgroup "mozilla.support.firefox"
    which is on the news server "news.mozilla.org".

    The news server "news.mozilla.org" carries the mozilla.*
    newsgroups, but does not carry general usenet newsgroups.
    You will need to both keep your current news server and
    use the news server news.mozilla.org.

    To handle multiple news servers in Free Agent 1.21,
    you need to set up a separate "instance" of Free Agent
    for each news server.

    See the Free Agent 1.21 help file at
    and where it says "each user" interpret this as "each news server".

    > This name-vagueness also makes it tempting to
    > simply always crosspost to both. Is that cool?

    The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups are officially abandoned
    and almost dead.

    Read this message: http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.browser/msg/33678c39134833f2
    And this: http://groups.google.com/group/netscape.public.mozilla.general/msg/6e7f972a2befdaf9

    Discussions moved very rapidly from the netscape.public.mozilla.*
    newsgroups to the mozilla.* newsgroups on the news server
    news.mozilla.org, back in 2006.

    > It's prolly irrational, but this coyness on
    > Mozilla's part does not inspire confidance.

    Is this now turning to trolling for bites?

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jan 8, 2009

  2. "Ralph Fox" <> wrote:
    > The news server "news.mozilla.org" carries the mozilla.*
    > newsgroups, but does not carry general usenet newsgroups.
    > You will need to both keep your current news server and
    > use the news server news.mozilla.org.

    nntp.aioe.org also holds the mozilla.* branch.
    So people who are on aioe anyway can subscribe from there instead of needing
    a third news server.

    -Andreas
    Andreas Eibach, Jan 10, 2009

  3. Andreas Eibach wrote:
    > "Ralph Fox" <> wrote:
    >> The news server "news.mozilla.org" carries the mozilla.*
    >> newsgroups, but does not carry general usenet newsgroups.
    >> You will need to both keep your current news server and
    >> use the news server news.mozilla.org.

    > nntp.aioe.org also holds the mozilla.* branch.
    > So people who are on aioe anyway can subscribe from there instead of needing
    > a third news server.
    >
    > -Andreas

    not really. The messages get posted there, but they
    don't show up on the real mozilla server, so the only
    replies you get are those from aioe.

    Besides, aioe has been down for a month and will be
    down for some time.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 10, 2009