Re: No FIREFOX help Usenet Newsgroup ?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Rom, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 01:18:04 GMT, Crash wrote:

    > I scanned all of giganews.com's Usenet Newsgroups for
    > "firefox" and found nothing. I was flabbergasted!
    > If I were a wagering man, I'd have lost a paycheck.
    >
    > I did *stumble* onto these two:
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser, alt.fan.mozilla
    > ...they both give good technical help.
    >
    > ...but I'm unsure they are the best NGs to get
    > Firefox help,

    See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support>,
    and scroll down to "Newsgroups and mailing lists".

    The alt.fan.mozilla group is okay, otherwise use the official
    mozilla.support.firefox user support group on the news.mozilla.org
    news server.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 8, 2009

  2. Rom

    Justin Guest

    Rom wrote on [Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:21:11 +1100]:
    > On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 01:18:04 GMT, Crash wrote:
    >
    >> I scanned all of giganews.com's Usenet Newsgroups for
    >> "firefox" and found nothing. I was flabbergasted!
    >> If I were a wagering man, I'd have lost a paycheck.
    >>
    >> I did *stumble* onto these two:
    >> netscape.public.mozilla.browser, alt.fan.mozilla
    >> ...they both give good technical help.
    >>
    >> ...but I'm unsure they are the best NGs to get
    >> Firefox help,

    > See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support>,
    > and scroll down to "Newsgroups and mailing lists".
    >
    > The alt.fan.mozilla group is okay, otherwise use the official
    > mozilla.support.firefox user support group on the news.mozilla.org
    > news server.

    Which is ridiculous. That's not USENET.

    Justin, Jan 8, 2009

  3. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:53:56 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:

    > Rom wrote on [Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:21:11 +1100]:
    >> On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 01:18:04 GMT, Crash wrote:
    >>
    >>> I scanned all of giganews.com's Usenet Newsgroups for
    >>> "firefox" and found nothing. I was flabbergasted!
    >>> If I were a wagering man, I'd have lost a paycheck.
    >>>
    >>> I did *stumble* onto these two:
    >>> netscape.public.mozilla.browser, alt.fan.mozilla
    >>> ...they both give good technical help.
    >>>
    >>> ...but I'm unsure they are the best NGs to get
    >>> Firefox help,

    >> See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support>,
    >> and scroll down to "Newsgroups and mailing lists".
    >>
    >> The alt.fan.mozilla group is okay, otherwise use the official
    >> mozilla.support.firefox user support group on the news.mozilla.org
    >> news server.

    > Which is ridiculous. That's not USENET.

    alt.fan.mozilla is a public Usenet newsgroup in the alt.* hierarchy.

    The Mozilla news server, aliases, propagation, and "public" in Usenet
    newsgroup names (like the above) has always been rather complicated
    and confusing. Since 2006, the news.mozilla.org news server has been
    hosted by Giganews, and it was decided not to propagate to Usenet,
    only to Google Groups (there's been reports of some servers 'carrying'
    news.mozilla.org groups and 'see' some messages but it's not two-way).
    See <http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html>.
    There's been times when there's been no propagation to<->from GG,
    perhaps either due to spam or other problems. mozilla.support.firefox
    is also a mailing list, and it's kind of moderated.

    For a browser, in this case Firefox, it does make some sense to make
    mozilla.support.firefox, at least, accessible via Google Groups, which
    is also accessed via a browser, and any (modern) newsreader can access
    the current news.mozilla.org server as well as capable of simple
    multiple servers.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 8, 2009
  4. Rom

    John Doe Guest

    Rom <> wrote:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Rom wrote

    >>> The alt.fan.mozilla group is okay, otherwise use the official
    >>> mozilla.support.firefox user support group on the
    >>> news.mozilla.org news server.

    >> Which is ridiculous. That's not USENET.

    > alt.fan.mozilla is a public Usenet newsgroup in the alt.*
    > hierarchy.

    I think he was talking about news.mozilla.org, not this group.

    > For a browser, in this case Firefox, it does make some sense to
    > make mozilla.support.firefox, at least, accessible via Google
    > Groups, which is also accessed via a browser, and any (modern)
    > newsreader can access the current news.mozilla.org server as well
    > as capable of simple multiple servers.

    Makes at least as much sense to have the discussion here on USENET.
    Google Groups is barely related to USENET.

    John Doe, Jan 8, 2009
  5. Rom

    Justin Guest

    Rom wrote on [Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:39:05 +1100]:
    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 03:53:56 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
    >
    >> Rom wrote on [Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:21:11 +1100]:

    >>> See <http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Other+Firefox+support>,
    >>> and scroll down to "Newsgroups and mailing lists".
    >>>
    >>> The alt.fan.mozilla group is okay, otherwise use the official
    >>> mozilla.support.firefox user support group on the news.mozilla.org
    >>> news server.

    >> Which is ridiculous. That's not USENET.

    > alt.fan.mozilla is a public Usenet newsgroup in the alt.* hierarchy.
    >
    > The Mozilla news server, aliases, propagation, and "public" in Usenet
    > newsgroup names (like the above) has always been rather complicated
    > and confusing. Since 2006, the news.mozilla.org news server has been
    > hosted by Giganews, and it was decided not to propagate to Usenet,
    > only to Google Groups (there's been reports of some servers 'carrying'
    > news.mozilla.org groups and 'see' some messages but it's not two-way).
    > See <http://www.mozilla.org/community/giganews-migration.html>.
    > There's been times when there's been no propagation to<->from GG,
    > perhaps either due to spam or other problems. mozilla.support.firefox
    > is also a mailing list, and it's kind of moderated.
    >
    > For a browser, in this case Firefox, it does make some sense to make
    > mozilla.support.firefox, at least, accessible via Google Groups, which
    > is also accessed via a browser, and any (modern) newsreader can access
    > the current news.mozilla.org server as well as capable of simple
    > multiple servers.

    Sure, I *can* use multiple servers with my newsreader of choice, but
    *why*? It's so nice seeing a single list in a single window with groups
    with new articles shown.

    Why should I move from slrn to something that is graphical like
    thunderbird or agent when I read TEXT newsgroups? It's a waste.

    Justin, Jan 8, 2009
  6. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:04:02 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:

    [...]

    > Sure, I *can* use multiple servers with my newsreader of choice, but
    > *why*?

    Why what? You can still continue to use alt.fan.mozilla and/or can use
    mozilla.support.firefox if you want to. It's your choice. There's
    various ways available for users to get or find help for Fx, and if
    one way doesn't suit you, simply don't use it.

    > Why should I move from slrn

    Why indeed. No one mentioned that you do.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 8, 2009
  7. Rom

    Justin Guest

    Rom wrote on [Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:45:12 +1100]:
    > On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:04:02 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> Sure, I *can* use multiple servers with my newsreader of choice, but
    >> *why*?

    > Why what? You can still continue to use alt.fan.mozilla and/or can use
    > mozilla.support.firefox if you want to. It's your choice. There's
    > various ways available for users to get or find help for Fx, and if
    > one way doesn't suit you, simply don't use it.
    >
    >> Why should I move from slrn

    > Why indeed. No one mentioned that you do.

    If I wanted to keep current on what was happening in the officially
    sanctioned newsgroups, I would have to. Pre-06 I didn't need to.

    Justin, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Rom

    Rom Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 00:46:18 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:

    > Rom wrote on [Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:45:12 +1100]:
    >> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:04:02 +0000 (UTC), Justin wrote:

    [...]
    >>> Why should I move from slrn

    >> Why indeed. No one mentioned that you do.

    > If I wanted to keep current on what was happening in the officially
    > sanctioned newsgroups, I would have to. Pre-06 I didn't need to.

    Years before 2006 I used to either use a local news server (Hamster)
    or a different newsreader than I was using at the time to occasionally
    read netscape.mozilla.firebird and then netscape.mozilla.firefox as
    well as a few other groups on secnews.netscape.com. Reason I used
    other clients was because of the lack multiple server and SSL support.

    slrn has been updated recently. You could use a local news server
    between your newsreader and news servers.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jan 9, 2009