Re: No Black Supply: Insert ink cartridge NOW (HP oj d145)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maryanne kehoe, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:52:50 -0500, craigm wrote:
    > Did you try a new (not refilled) cartridge?

    No. Not yet. The HP OfficeJet d145 printer stoppage just started yesterday
    when I pulled the 23 ml #14 HP c5011a black ink cartridge out to replenish.

    Normally I just drip a dozen drops or so of high quality black ink onto the
    bottom sponge about once a week or so to keep the sponge nice & wet . This
    ensures vivid high-quality colors in my watercolor printouts.

    I've done this many times since I put the original #14 c5011a HP black ink
    cartridge in the HPOJ d145 on October 2, 2004.

    However, this time, when I put the #14 HP c5011a black ink cartridge back
    into the HP OfficeJet d145 printer, for the first time, I got the message
    that there was no black ink supply.
    No Black Supply: Insert ink cartridge NOW

    I don't think the error is saying that the ink level is low because I
    turned off the ink level indicator years ago using advice from
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html
    which says to press LEFT ARROW and RIGHT ARROW at the same time, then
    release and then press, in sequential order, 7 and then 8 and then 9. When
    the prompt appears asking if you want to override the black ink level
    gauge, simply press 1 for Yes.

    Even so, if the hp oj d145 ink level were low, the error message would be
    Black ink out. Replace black ink cartridge. Press Enter to continue.

    Does anyone have debugging procedures for this HP D145 error
    No Black Supply: Insert ink cartridge NOW

    maryanne kehoe, Jun 13, 2006

  2. On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:09:15 -0700, Bob Headrick wrote:
    > You may have damaged the contacts.
    > You might try asking in the HP business forum at:
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=420
    > or the IT forum at:
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=420.
    > There are users there with more experience with the D series printers.

    Hi Bob Headrick,

    I know from my googling this past couple of days that you are a veritable
    Printer God when it comes to HP printers. Too bad your speciality is other
    than the D-series printers as I could really use your help on this d145
    error.
    No Black Supply. Insert ink cartridge NOW

    As far as I can tell from my googling, I'm the only one who has ever asked
    about this error. I'm pretty sure it's not an expiry thing because none of
    the expiration limits have been exceeded. These I calculated by searching
    all the posts you posted to and finding the key calculations hinge on the
    warranty expiration date printed on the HP ink cartridge which is
    2005/11/12.

    Your calculations give us the following true expiry dates.
    - Manufacture Date: 2005/11/12 - 30 months = May 12, 2003
    - Installation Date: 2004/10/06 (written at the time of installation)
    - False Expiry Date: 2004/10/06 + 30 months = April 06, 2007
    - True Expiry Date: 2005/11/12 + 24 months = November 12, 2007

    Luckily, the false expiration date can be overcome (if you read your
    threads), but so far nobody has overcome the true expiration date.

    I guess since my problem has nothing to do with expiration dates, I'll need
    the help of the two forums you suggested.

    Can you post that second IT address again? It appears you accidentally cut
    and pasted the *same* URL twice in your helpful advice above.

    Thank you Bob,
    maryanne

    maryanne kehoe, Jun 13, 2006

  3. On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:23:38 -0700, Bob Headrick wrote:
    > Oops - the IT Multifunction group is:
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=230
    >
    > and the Business Support group is:
    > http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=420
    >
    > The problem you are seeing does not seem related to expiration, the
    > message sounds like the printer is not recognizing the cartridge is
    > installed. I would expect some electrical issue with the contacts
    > between the cartridge and the printer.

    Hi Bob,

    I've read enough of the google record to know you're a Printer God so I
    greatly appreciate the advice. It's too bad you're not an expert in the
    D-series HP printers. I wish there were a D-series expert who was as
    knowledgeable and helpful as you to your customers!

    Anyway, I've resolved the problem by a roundabout way which doesn't
    actually make any sense to me. I had four perfectly good HP #14 C5011D 26
    ml black ink cartridges, all of which had previously been in the HP
    OfficeJet D145 printer at one time or another so they all had their
    machine-life set. None of the four worked - all gave the error
    "No Black Supply. Insert ink cartridge NOW"

    I took a chance and bought the $55 + tax Costco #716128 "Triple pack" of
    three #14 black C5011D cartridges. I tried to read the expiration date on
    the box but HP cleverly packaged the three pack with the date hidden.

    Much to my chagrin, the super expensive Costco HP #14 black ink cartridges
    were manufactured way back in 2004 based on my claculations as shown below.
    - DATE PRINTED ON BOX = SINGAPORE FEB 2007
    - DATE PRINTED ON CARTRIDGE = 2007/05/12
    - DERIVED MANUFACTURE DATE = NOV 12, 2004
    - DERIVED EXPIRATION DATE = MAY 12, 2009

    Note the in-service date will expire before the true expiry date.
    - INSTALLATION DATE = JUN 12, 2006
    - DERIVED IN-SERVICE EXPIRY = DEC 12, 2008

    The good news is that as soon as I installed the new HP #14 black printer
    ink cartridge, the Hewlett Packard OfficeJet D145 immediately printed an
    alignnment page and the error "No Black Supply. Insert ink cartridge NOW"
    disappeared!

    I can only conclude, based on the circumstances, that this Hewlett Packard
    OfficeJet D145 has a clever secondary mechanism which determined that my
    printer HP #24 printer ink cartridge had been refilled one too many times
    even though I am no where near my in-service expiration date ((install date
    + 30 months) nor the final expiration date (warranty date + 24 months) of
    the HP ink cartridge in question.

    Is there any other possible conclusion from the scientific community out
    there based on the evidence presented in the past few days?

    maryanne

    maryanne kehoe, Jun 14, 2006